ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #16966
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN OF BLUES View Post
I like that harbor freight strap thing, I'll be using that on my next set....coming up in about 3 weeks....countdown begins
By the way, Rich, I owe you a "thank you." A few years ago you pushed me to try the PRII's. This is my third set and I figgin love these tires. I hope they never discontinue them in favor of the PRIII's.

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #16967
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN OF BLUES View Post
Just to be clear here, I wasn't condoning or agreeing with the hacksaw thing....just stating that it was what they eluded to initially...in the posting.
I will admit I have used bolt cutters to snip the beads on a realllllly old tire once, and it did work nicely, but that was many years ago.no muss, no mess, popped right off after that.

I like that harbor freight strap thing, I'll be using that on my next set....coming up in about 3 weeks....countdown begins
Just a reminder (like you need it), but you've been off a bike for awhile. Work your way up gradually to insanity... especially if you've just mounted a new set of skins on the bike.

Dad has spoken!!!

Old 08-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #16968
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,377
There's a late model, new style, KLR parked outside my office as usual. I see it pretty regularly and have talked to the owner a time or two.. He's probably mid 50's, totally NON attgatt every time I see him - cruising off in his khakis, golf shirt, loafers. Strikes me as noob but maybe that's just the "gear"

Anyway I just walked by and notice there is fresh wet oil-grit galore on the swingarm, shifter, shock linkage etc. all on the left-chain side from countershaft back. It's on the left sidewall of the tire and maybe the left quarter of the tread. Little spot on the ground about the size of a quarter. I'm guessing countershaft seal which is directly above the spot. The chain is adjusted too tight - probably the cause.

Anyway, the point.. Should I go back down there with a sticky note saying "careful - your tires are oily".. or give the guy some credit.

edit:put a note on his speedo.

ddlewis screwed with this post 08-27-2012 at 11:55 AM
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #16969
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
There's a late model, new style, KLR parked outside my office as usual. I see it pretty regularly and have talked to the owner a time or two.. He's probably mid 50's, totally NON attgatt every time I see him - cruising off in his khakis, golf shirt, loafers. Strikes me as noob but maybe that's just the "gear"

Anyway I just walked by and notice there is fresh wet oil-grit galore on the swingarm, shifter, shock linkage etc. all on the left-chain side from countershaft back. It's on the left sidewall of the tire and maybe the left quarter of the tread. Little spot on the ground about the size of a quarter. I'm guessing countershaft seal which is directly above the spot. The chain is adjusted too tight - probably the cause.

Anyway, the point.. Should I go back down there with a sticky note saying "careful - your tires are oily".. or give the guy some credit.

edit:put a note on his speedo.
some of us have to help the stupid
Old 08-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #16970
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwn306 View Post
some of us have to help the stupid
What Kurt said................

Old 08-28-2012, 04:50 AM   #16971
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 803
Back in the USA.

Good morning

Quick update .... Great time in Nova Scotia !! 1800+ miles so far. In Bangor ME. I called in sick for my next 4 day trip. Have the rest of the week off. Continuing on! Want to see more of ME, VT, NH. Details and photos to come.
Chuck
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:34 AM   #16972
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 544
Cry Weekend Ride

Hey everyone-

New to the ADVRider...Just got a GS1200 and have only logged about 2500 miles in the last 3 weeks of having it. Need a a good fun ride for this weekend.

Limitations are that my girl just started riding...she is on a KLR250 great starter bike but not great for long hauls and she needs to run less technical rides. I would like to find a good paved/dirt/scenic ride from Powhatan out to the mountains and back in one day.

Any suggestions?

Also I'm riding to Roanoke and Blacksburg Thursday & Friday...Any little quick run offs I can do that are safe for a lone rider. Don't want to get in trouble out there all alone.

Thanks
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #16973
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
Hey everyone-

New to the ADVRider...Just got a GS1200 and have only logged about 2500 miles in the last 3 weeks of having it. Need a a good fun ride for this weekend.

Limitations are that my girl just started riding...she is on a KLR250 great starter bike but not great for long hauls and she needs to run less technical rides. I would like to find a good paved/dirt/scenic ride from Powhatan out to the mountains and back in one day.

Any suggestions?

Also I'm riding to Roanoke and Blacksburg Thursday & Friday...Any little quick run offs I can do that are safe for a lone rider. Don't want to get in trouble out there all alone.

Thanks
Welcome Todd!! Glad you found us. Per our conversation yesterday I will email you the details for the West Point ride once I get home or possibly John Heckman (JHVA) can PM them to you. He is the one who first led us out there on that adventure. Once your girl gets a little more off road riding under her belt it will be a good ride to do.

I'm sure some of these guys and gals will post up some favorite rides for you as you go out west this coming weekend. Have fun and welcome to the asylum!!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #16974
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Hey everyone-

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Not really a short ride but right before 60 crosses the BRP heading west, there is a gravel road to the left called Panther Falls. The fire roads go back a fair bit and are passable on street bikes/cars. They make a decent intro to gravel roads. It would be close to 200 miles round trip though.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #16975
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

RTE days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Of those who have commented on a perpetual ride to eat (lunch) day, it appears that Friday is the preferred day. Being retired and just being tied to the garage, I can go anytime assuming I don't have some pressing project going on.

However, a reminder that Fridays are paydays for most, and also the most popular day for folks anticipating the w/e and just want to get out and EAT.

Therefore, whatever venue we choose for the week, we should be there well before the typical “lunch hour” begins. I'd recommend not getting, wherever, not later than 11:30 to insure a suitable seating arrangement.

My .02

Where's lunch this Friday?? I'm already hungry.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #16976
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 544
Doc I will owe you since I'm out of town...but will definately catch up with you either Tuesday the 4th or Monday the 10th. Let me know which works best for you, its the least I can do for covering for me Friday...
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #16977
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,572
Quote:
Hey everyone-

Any suggestions?

Thanks
From Roanoke cut over at Salem to Catawba. rt 311 Take the first left in the valley if you want asphalt otherwise keep going west until you can take a left on Craig's Creek rt 615.

Too many good roads out there.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #16978
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
From Roanoke cut over at Salem to Catawba. rt 311 Take the first left in the valley if you want asphalt otherwise keep going west until you can take a left on Craig's Creek rt 615.

Too many good roads out there.
I miss Catawba and I didn't even ride bikes when I lived there. I did wear out a lot of front wheel bearings in my old pickup when I lived in the burg though. It it wasn't so boring of a drive to get there, I'd go back more often.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #16979
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
Where's lunch this Friday?? I'm already hungry.
It wasn't mentioned before, but Gyros, steak and cheese, and Greek salads loaded down with Feta Cheese sound pretty good to me...........

Just another suggestion.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #16980
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Rude to eat Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
It wasn't mentioned before, but Gyros, steak and cheese, and Greek salads loaded down with Feta Cheese sound pretty good to me...........

Just another suggestion.

Sounds good to me. I love the Gyro's and fries at Mr.Submarine. There's one at 4100 W, Broad Street, Richmond,VA 23230 (at the corner of Malvern and Broad) that is very centrally located. How about any that are interested plan to meet this Friday at 11:30 am for lunch.