ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #17086
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Thanks Jeremy.

And that's why I am afraid of using meds to fight this thing. I never needed any of that stuff before (I'm not on any meds for anything to date), and I really hesitate to get on something that might become "addictive" in combating this present problem.

Guy

It is a substance your body already produces.

Actually it causes your liver to release another chemical that makes you sleepy. If you take too much for too many days, you use up everything your liver has stored and get to have trouble sleeping until your liver makes more. My father told me about it. And he took like 3 doses at once for a couple days. He slept very good until the third day. A quarter of a 5 mg tablet is enough to make me sleep a full 8 hours but then my wife says I am a lightweight. Alcohol and medications usually have larger than average affect on me. I might take one once every 3 weeks. I also have been an insomniac since I was a child. Now I am just a night owl.

jgiacobbe screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 06:14 PM Reason: clarification
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #17087
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,463
I have had insomnia since I was 4 years old.
If you've read my ride reports, you know it's not completely uncommon for me to go a few days without sleeping.
I have a high resistance to most sleeping pills, and can build up a resistance to stronger meds pretty quickly. I just started taking Ambien 3 days ago, but as far as I can tell it doesn't do much at all--I'm still awake 3 hours after I take it, and it's supposed to work in about 15 minutes. Before that I was just taking Xanax. That didn't put me to sleep, but I didn't care about it. Before that was Trazodone, but I'd need to double the dosage every week for it to work, and it gave me weird nightmares and made me dizzy for an hour before I'd fall asleep. I got a sample pack of 300mg Seroquel pills from my doctor, and those worked, but they were way too expensive to buy a prescription ($20 a pill or so). For very occasional use, gabapentin and nortriptyline have worked, but more than a couple days and they loose the sedative effects.
My issue is with falling asleep, so the drugs I take for insomnia are quick-acting with a short half-life. Once I'm asleep, I'll usually stay asleep (for up to 20 hours, depending on how long it's been since I slept.)
Interestingly, some of the best results for sleeping well have been stimulants. Taking amphetamines or methylphenidate in the morning and at lunch will help to put me to sleep when they wear off. They also prevent morning grogginess from whatever I took the night before.

I'm not sure what my point is here--I suppose I'm just saying that I know what it's like...and that even if you do get medicine, it might not solve your problem.
As far as advice - lying sleepless in bed is the worst thing you can do. Your brain will start to associate lying in bed with sleeplessness. My doctors have always recommended getting back out of bed no later than 20 minutes if you're not asleep yet. It's not bad to be active when you can't sleep - I'll get up and go shopping at the 24 hour walmart, or sometimes do mechanical stuff on the bike.
Also, be aware that somewhere around age 60, many people start go to doctors about insomnia. Around that age your body starts needing less sleep than when you're younger, so you don't sleep as much. Obviously, not sleeping at all is a more serious issue.

My first recommendation would be to get a professional massage. They help some people sleep better than any medicine. Doesn't work for everyone, but it works quite often. Just get the Swedish massage - neuromuscular or trigger point is not relaxing and will not help you sleep.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:12 AM   #17088
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
I did manage to ride in circles around my cul-de-sac with the XR.....its been leaking oil....I was the last one to

Time for beer now that I'm convinced its fix proper like

New Belgium Trippel
That is a great brew! Bird Song brewery in Charlotte makes a coriander heavy brew as well. Refreshing beer.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #17089
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
That is a great brew! Bird Song brewery in Charlotte makes a coriander heavy brew as well. Refreshing beer.
At first the coriander scared me...I tend not to like beer with additional "stuff" in it like fruit and what not...last 3 beer runs have been the NB Trippel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #17090
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
At first the coriander scared me...I tend not to like beer with additional "stuff" in it like fruit and what not...last 3 beer runs have been the NB Trippel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Going to see what kegged selections we can get from New Belgium . I am partial to Sierra Nevada IPAs but might switch it up with Ranger.

Good luck with the Richmond logo. Y'all are gonna be the "Poe Riders"

Just in case y'all are looking for something to do in oct.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=764987
Old 09-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #17091
tg4360
Misfit Toy

Oddometer: 88
Stickers....

How about something simple?

Stylized text that goes:

Richmond
adVenture Riders
A

Different/bold Cap text for the RVA set so that it is in a diagonal and perhaps a raven in the corner.

Could be done several styles such as the European ovals or just text etc.

(Damn forum software will not let me format the text with the caps in a diagonal, but I'm sure you get the idea.)
tg4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #17092
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,276
Quote:
Going to see what kegged selections we can get from New Belgium . I am partial to Sierra Nevada IPAs but might switch it up with Ranger.

Good luck with the Richmond logo. Y'all are gonna be the "Poe Riders"

Just in case y'all are looking for something to do in oct.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=764987
If we keep hitting these lunch spots on a regular basis, that may become a reality; SS checks only come once a month.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #17093
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Quote:
If we keep hitting these lunch spots on a regular basis, that may become a reality; SS checks only come once a month.

Y'all have the great eateries in your area. It is as much as a work to eat as it is a ride to eat.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #17094
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Y'all have the great eateries in your area. It is as much as a work to eat as it is a ride to eat.
Heard that.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #17095
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,945
Quote:

I can see Guy's KLR with a "will work (on your bike) for food" sign at some of these RTE lunches. I'm sure he will soon be giving his pricing in lunch equivalencies. Yes I'll fix your bike, that will be 3 RTEs and price of parts.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #17096
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I can see Guy's KLR with a "will work (on your bike) for food" sign at some of these RTE lunches. I'm sure he will soon be giving his pricing in lunch equivalencies. Yes I'll fix your bike, that will be 3 RTEs and price of parts.
Too funny, but tempting.

There'd still be the problem of enough bux to keep the lights on out here - but - I could always whip up a treadmill driven cogen plant. Kill two birds with one stone..... develop enough electricity to light the building AND get more exercise than I'm getting now.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #17097
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 847
I found it!

Just kidding! But I had to share this quality piece of motorcycling craftsmanship. A 2006 QINGQI 200 GY! As far as I can tell, this is a Suzuki DR200 knockoff with a whopping 11hp! Woo hoo!

And I'll bet parts are super-easy to come by.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/3248094098.html

Think I'll keep looking. :-)

Actually, I found a couple of decent Honda XL600Rs, one here in Richmond and one in Frederickburg. Only issue is I can't get anyone to call me back. I've actually tried to look at half a dozen bikes from both CL and here on ADV. No one seems to care enough to follow up. Lazy %$&ing %^&$ers. :-)

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #17098
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,622
Rick - If you need to test fit/ride an XR650L let me know...essentially the same as the XR600R....
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #17099
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,442
Holy crap! I've been internet-less for a long weekend and come here to find a months worth posts since Friday? Seriously, it was like 8 pages of catching up

Looks like we need to call ourselves the Richmond keyboard jockeys.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #17100
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlitz View Post
The tow yard gave me an officer's number. Tried it but no answer. I'll be hitting up the main station this week to see if they tagged anyone or if the bike was dumped when they found it. Just had liability on it so no insurance help. I don't see why it wouldn't run. Need to drain the tank before attempting to fire it up. The thief pried off the gas cap and its been sitting uncovered in the tow yard getting rained on.
Hey that's great news. I've got a few spare DR bits/pieces, but no extra tank. I might know of one if you want me to ask. what else ya need?

there was another DR650 stolen in RVa in the past week or so detailed over on DRRiders.. he recovered too but it had been raped and pillaged to the extent his insurance comp coverage called it totaled.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote