ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #17161
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 958
Sticker

Very nice Halfplate! Thumbs up for the original.

If anyone wants to ride south Fri-Sun I'm meeting some cruiser friends down in Little Switzerland NC. All pavement. I'm riding the Goldwing. No mud for me this weekend.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #17162
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Did I really say that?! LOL! No, it is not a "beginners" trail, but I will gladly help you pick up your bike a hundred times with a smile, and sweat, on my face! If at ANY time you feel like you are in over your head, we turn around. I promise! Just ask Jeremy and Mickey!

http://www.jk-forum.com/jk-trails-ta...raft-va-94456/
I will say Eddy is good about checking on the slower riders in the group and making sure you are not a mile or two back stuck under your bike. I remember him helping to pick up my weestrom several times in a very short stretch. no judging or laughing, just a "you ok" and a hand picking the beast up and getting rolling again.

I have yet to ride Big Levels but I've been told it is easier than Shoe Creek. You will be able to make it through Shoe Creek but take your time and be careful. You might fall down and you night not. Me, i have managed to fall on every DS ride I've been on except one. Always seems to be while stopped or almost stopped and on uneven terrain.

Make sure you have plenty of water with you. Also, I hope you have hand guards and a decent skid plate. At some point you will use the skid plate and if you fall the hand guards are a must. If you have a second helmet that is not your favorite, that might be the one to wear that day too. If it is warm enough, wear your mesh gear. You'll get hot quickly going slow on the trails. If you can do without them, you might want to leave the side cases and top case at home.

That is all the great knowledge I have to impart, one off-road noob to another. It is probably worth what you paid for it.

I'm looking forward to pictures and/or video.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #17163
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I will say Eddy is good about checking on the slower riders in the group and making sure you are not a mile or two back stuck under your bike. I remember him helping to pick up my weestrom several times in a very short stretch. no judging or laughing, just a "you ok" and a hand picking the beast up and getting rolling again.

I have yet to ride Big Levels but I've been told it is easier than Shoe Creek. You will be able to make it through Shoe Creek but take your time and be careful. You might fall down and you night not. Me, i have managed to fall on every DS ride I've been on except one. Always seems to be while stopped or almost stopped and on uneven terrain.

Make sure you have plenty of water with you. Also, I hope you have hand guards and a decent skid plate. At some point you will use the skid plate and if you fall the hand guards are a must. If you have a second helmet that is not your favorite, that might be the one to wear that day too. If it is warm enough, wear your mesh gear. You'll get hot quickly going slow on the trails. If you can do without them, you might want to leave the side cases and top case at home.

That is all the great knowledge I have to impart, one off-road noob to another. It is probably worth what you paid for it.

I'm looking forward to pictures and/or video.
That's good to hear, altho' previous ride reports have left me with the impression that no body was looking out for anyone else.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #17164
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
I'll be using the Tourances. Oh, and I have maybe 5 minutes of easy off-road experience apart from gravel. Last week Eddy sold this as a beginner's ride. Now I wonder what it is exactly I've signed up for. No worries though. He has volunteered to help me pick the bike up as needed.
Got the green light for riding Saturday.

Shoe Creek's got some rough and rocky sections and I'd be leery of it on big bike. That said, I'm in if y'all are. We'll take it easy as possible. I am available for bike lifting and GS pieces carrying.

Big Levels mostly on par w cell tower road, sometimes it has some mud holes up top. Hopefully it's not on fire this time.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #17165
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
That's good to hear, altho' previous ride reports have left me with the impression that no body was looking out for anyone else.

On the ride you were referring to, Eddy hung back to wait for me and the next in line didn't, hence we got separated. After that it was just a day of missing each other by a couple minutes. With Eddy riding the GS and leading this ride, I would not expect that being an issue. If nothing else, when he falls over, he may want the help picking up his own beast. That is part of the reciprocal part of him being willing to help pick up bikes even if you fall 100 times in 100 yards.

That is enough of me talking about a ride I won't be able to go on. I'll see whomever is there at Poe's on Sunday.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #17166
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
That's good to hear, altho' previous ride reports have left me with the impression that no body was looking out for anyone else..
Not true. Split up on purpose but miscommunicated the reconnect.

In retrospect - there's a strong case against splitting up in rough areas like that especially when there's no cell coverage.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #17167
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,454
I've done Shoe Creek on 17" sport bike tires on both a XR650R and a WRX - both in supermoto setups. It was interesting after a good rain ;)
Old 09-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #17168
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
RVA MotoMan

Like it!!

Regarding riding Saturday, my boys have their first XC (Cross Country 5k) Invitational Race at Fork Union this Saturday am and I will probably ride west after that. May see you all somewhere out that way. Have fun and ride safe.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #17169
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 958
RVA ADV Sticker

I say print them up. I like it. I'd pitch in on the cost or buy a stack to give out or both. Im not sure what the little logo is at the bottom right of the deal. Did I miss something with that?

Hey Dan....
A couple of us have walkie talkie's or even portable CB radios. Maybe we should consider taking them off road when there is not cell coverage. Just a thought. The walkie talkie's work great for skiing.

skychs screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 07:51 PM
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #17170
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 669
@ Jeremy - thanks for the tips.

@ HalfPlate - what Chuck said. What's the story with the little mark in the bottom right?

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:02 AM   #17171
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 939
MotoMan

MotoMan is perfect. Let's do it!

Are you a professional graphic artist? Nice work.

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #17172
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
@ Jeremy - thanks for the tips.

@ HalfPlate - what Chuck said. What's the story with the little mark in the bottom right?
Suspect it's the artist's "signature."

Old 09-07-2012, 06:31 AM   #17173
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,044
The little mark on the lower right corner is an Inuksuk, I put them on all my proofs so I can keep track of finished projects and ones in the works. Whoever is going to have them printed let me know so I can package the graphic the way the printer needs and send it to you. Also for costs purposes I can remove the red if you want.

-No I am not a professional but graphic design as always been a hobby of mine.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #17174
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter View Post
MotoMan is perfect. Let's do it!

Are you a professional graphic artist? Nice work.
Either a pro graphics guy or he slept at a Holiday Inn Express..

I can see it now, that IS cool! Good work..
Old 09-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #17175
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
The little mark on the lower right corner is an Inuksuk, I put them on all my proofs so I can keep track of finished projects and ones in the works. Whoever is going to have them printed let me know so I can package the graphic the way the printer needs and send it to you. Also for costs purposes I can remove the red if you want.
HP, I'll shoot you a PM when I get back to my laptop.

Guy, I wont be making the RTE today. My starter boots have been great, but its time for an upgrade; going to have a look-see at Mortons (not much by way of Gortex for ladies locally). Hopefully Croakers Spot will be in the rotation again soon!

Eddy, where shall we meet manana?

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote