ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #17236
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Thanks for all the great hiking info. Will definitely check out the Richmond Trail. :)
A nice "close" hike is crab tree falls. Start at the bottom (of course) to the top of the falls is a fairly easy mile or two. If you feel good about that, keep going once you get to the top of the falls, after a mile of easy hiking, you'll find the upper parking lot, follow the road to the left up to the AT which is at the top of the hill (top of the hill is also the end/beginning of the difficult part of Shoe Creek Road). Take the AT to the left and it'll take you up to the top of the Preist. (not the best views from up there, but there are some peeking through the trees) Or if you're feeling really vigorous, head right on the AT and hike for several miles along the ridge fairly strenuous up and down. You'll evenutally drop down off the ridge and will come to Spy Rock. That's a pretty sweet spot with 360* views off a rock outcrop.

You can also get to spy rock by a much shorter hike (though it is pretty much strait up hill with no switch backs) from the fish hatchery up on 56. Spy rock is a pretty cool spot no matter how you get to it.

My opinion on hiking boots, if you're just day hiking with a pretty minimal load I'd forgo hiking boots and get some trail running shoes. They have a good aggressive tread pattern, but allow your feet to breath, and are light and nimble. I typically reserve boots for when I'm carrying a real pack.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #17237
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Late 2011 MCN Value Guide had that bike at $3460 (later version is in the house). Now approaching the the end of 2012, I'm sure it is lower.

Of course, the UniGo trailer adds some value.,,,, for those who want something like that.

I have no idea if this bike is there on consignment, and my apologies to Kurt if it is, or simply a trade-in. Regardless, I wouldn't go much above $3000 for the package.

I bought the UniGo trailer a few months ago just to flip. Made a nice profit too.
So there's no trailer w/that bike now. The bike is worth maybe $3K...
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #17238
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Brenda actually came over on Saturday evening and sat on my TW...She feels like it's just a tad too heavy for her. I'm not sure there are many smaller, lighter options out there than a TW, maybe a XT225 6 weeks of heavy front squats, cleans and deadlifts would fix this problem! Maybe we need to get a Baja kit and plate Gabriel's PW50 for her! LOL!
re: TW, could be that I was toast after my misadventures with baby heads, or could be that I need to get back into that Seal Team PT program . Meanwhile, I'll be checking out an XT225 that the Cat Herders brought to my attention.

Speaking of Cat Herders, Eddy's rescue of my a$$ involved mutual BWDR and Cat Herder sticker recognition. YAY STICKERS! HalfPlate...where are those dang files already?

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #17239
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Can anyone here recommend some beginner to moderate Hiking trails in Virginia? Would appreciate any info from any of you that hike on what footwear is best and maybe gear info as well. Pretty much don't have any hiking gear or packs etc. Internet is loaded with info but would like to hear from some of you that hike etc and get your perspective on what works...

thanks in advance,

jh
As soon you go an hour and a half west of Richmond the number of trail options multiply rapidly. Being in the mountains, these trails tend to be a little more strenuous of course. Ramsey's Draft is a great area that i've hiked a few times in recent years. You can put together a 4-5 mile loop or a 15-25 mile backpack. It's beautiful and relatively easy hiking. Shenandoah NP has countless options and you can't beat the views, but I'll be honest the ticks tend to be a nightmare there.

Of course, for beginner to moderate, mostly flat trails in the 2-5 mile range our central VA State Parks have terrific options. Pocahontas, Lake Anna, Bear Creek, James River...

Rick suggested REI (or similar) for boots. I would go further and say "REI ONLY" as they truly want you to be a long time happy customer with happy feet. They are one of the few (only?) retailers that will let you return shoes after wearing them outside. I hiked 100 miles of the VT Long Trail in 2007 in a pair a boots that I bought there and they turned out to be awful after I got them broken in. I took them to REI for new insoles and/or advise and they insisted I exchange them them for another pair. Happy feet.. happy customer. REI advise: Get the membership for $20 (or whatever it is.) It pays for itself in the first year. For day hikes I would suggest a low top hiking shoe rather than a boot. Waterproof or not? It's all personal preference. No matter what the marketing materials say, waterproof footwear NEVER breaths as well as non-waterproof options. My feet don't sweat too much so I stick with waterproof (Gortex being the membrane I trust most.)

I agree, a decent Camelback (or similar) pack is all you need. Check the cycling section.. they sometimes have smaller/cheaper ones than the ones in the hiking section. Hip (or "fanny") packs may get you picked on, but really it's all you need for a day hike. They have ones that carry two water bottles and and the small amount of gear you need to carry. (This or this)

Again, Rick nailed it with trekking poles. I know they make hiking much more enjoyable for me. The miles slip away more quickly and the ascents are much more enjoyable. You work just as hard when using them, but it's a more balanced between upper and lower body. Without the poles it's all legs. They also add a good measure of safety to a hike. You don't need expensive titanium, shock absorbing poles. Of course, Even the cheap ones aren't cheap.

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #17240
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter View Post
You don't need expensive titanium, shock absorbing poles. Of course, Even the cheap ones aren't cheap.
Not to turn this into a hiking forum, but ...

I just bought a pair of these for our trek up the Inca Trail next week. http://www.rei.com/product/745686/re...ck-light-staff Not sure if I like them or not. I've had them out on the AT and a few other hikes testing them. I thought something more staff-like would be better in Peru, since the hike isn't really technical (from what I hear). We'll see.

BTW - As with motorcycles (to bring this back to the purpose of the forum), you can get on a real farkle-fest with hiking. Boots become like tires .. just gotta try new ones. Packs? Same way. Always scrounging for something lighter and smaller. Ounces count, and all that. But man is it relaxing to be hiking!

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #17241
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 884
Dunlop D606 knobby, 130/90-17. Near new $25 cash/carry;
$30 mount/balance on rim; $40 mount/balance on bike.

MEFO dual sports, 130/80-17 rear, 90/90-21, nice shape.
Cash/carry the pair $50. Can mount/balance.

Bridgestone Trailwings, 120/90-18 rear, 80/100-21, good condition.
Cash/carry the pair $40. Can mount/balance.

(mount balance any tires; $15 off bike, $20 and up on bike)

CycleDoc @ 769-2324 Central Garage, King William Co.
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #17242
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Thanks, Teeter. We will get out to REI this week to try on footwear. I have been walking 4.3 miles per day here at work during lunchtime (flat-hard surfaced road) and weight training (mainly to beat lower back problems and be in better shape to handle a dismount while riding with the wild bunch)

Looking to up the cardio on weekends with trail hiking.

thanks!

jh

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #17243
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleDoc59 View Post
(mount balance any tires; $15 off bike, $20 and up on bike)

CycleDoc @ 769-2324 Central Garage, King William Co.
I'll be calling...I've got a fresh K60 to have you mount....
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #17244
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I think Brenda would have the same problem with it that Eddy has. It doesn't have the legs to get where they want to go..
KLX250sf on craigslist.
http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/3223079607.html

This is a light, low-seat bike with adv potential. (extended travel @ 70-ish) It's got supermoto size rims (17") but you can mount offroad tires on it and it seems to work pretty well. I've seen MXAndrew ride his through rough stuff. He's only a little taller than you. (Brenda) Bike looks cool with Shinko 244's.

ddlewis screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 10:25 AM
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #17245
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
KLX250sf on craigslist.

This is a light, low-seat bike with adv potential. (extended travel @ 70-ish) It's got supermoto size rims (17") but you can mount offroad tires on it and it seems to work pretty well. I've seen MXAndrew ride his through rough stuff. He's only a little taller than you. (Brenda) Bike looks cool with Shinko 244's.

KBB in excellent retail condition $3,400....just sayin'...
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #17246
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Not to turn this into a hiking forum, but ...

I just bought a pair of these for our trek up the Inca Trail next week. http://www.rei.com/product/745686/re...ck-light-staff Not sure if I like them or not. I've had them out on the AT and a few other hikes testing them. I thought something more staff-like would be better in Peru, since the hike isn't really technical (from what I hear). We'll see.
Not technical, just up and up and up and up. Dead woman Pass is a killer if you're not acclimated to the altitude. The rest is easy compared, and it's all down hill from there. Bring a good water filter. Some really interesting micro climate areas headed up. Stick it out and don't let the porters carry your bag.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #17247
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
KLX250sf on craigslist.

This was the other bike I was looking at along with the WR250r. The KLX is shorter. The SF model with the SUMO tires is even shorter. The only difference besides rims, is the front forks on the SF model have about 8 inches of travel versus 10.5, I've heard the engines come pretty restricted from the factory but show serious gains with slight modifications. I had one of these pass me on 56 like I was a snail one day when riding my 650. It was right behind a speed triple.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #17248
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
KBB in excellent retail condition $3,400....just sayin'...
"$3800 obo" on C.L. = $3200..

ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #17249
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Not technical, just up and up and up and up. Dead woman Pass is a killer if you're not acclimated to the altitude. The rest is easy compared, and it's all down hill from there. Bring a good water filter. Some really interesting micro climate areas headed up. Stick it out and don't let the porters carry your bag.
I had to bail on the hike due to a pretty bad fever, but I didn't bail on Machu Picchu -- rode this to get there:

A friend that did complete the hike said day 2 involved a 4000+ foot ascent in 3 miles, mostly steps...got to love the Incas' direct approach! I can tell you the payoff will be worthwhile. Look forward to photos!

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #17250
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
A friend that did complete the hike said day 2 involved a 4000+ foot ascent in 3 miles, mostly steps...got to love the Incas' direct approach! I can tell you the payoff will be worthwhile. Look forward to photos!
Yea, I'm not looking forward to "Day Two" all that much. But we've been training and hopefully will be in good enough shape to enjoy that day anyway. Wish I had about 50lbs less to carry up that hill though. LOL!

And cameras loaded and charged! Can't wait. We leave Saturday!

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote