ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #17251
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Yea, I'm not looking forward to "Day Two" all that much. But we've been training and hopefully will be in good enough shape to enjoy that day anyway. Wish I had about 50lbs less to carry up that hill though. LOL!

And cameras loaded and charged! Can't wait. We leave Saturday!
Sweet, I hope you post some photos. That was a time in my life that I didn't carry a camera anywhere. I was young and dumb and thought I would always remember it...

...not so much.

I've got a couple of photos from the folks I was with, but really miss having a collection to go back and peruse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
I had to bail on the hike due to a pretty bad fever, but I didn't bail on Machu Picchu -- rode this to get there:

A friend that did complete the hike said day 2 involved a 4000+ foot ascent in 3 miles, mostly steps...got to love the Incas' direct approach! I can tell you the payoff will be worthwhile. Look forward to photos!
Awesome. I was feverish and sick for 3 days leading up to the hike. Day 1 along down in the valley I kept thinking this is a bad idea, this is a bad idea. Day 2 starting the climb, this is a bad idea this is a bad idea. Once the climb started in ernest I knew it was a bad idea. Then.. I found a spot to relieve my gut (TMI?) and was smart enough to have packed a dozen snickers bars. 2 snickers bars later and I was a new man. Charged that hill pretty hard, still nearly got my ass handed to me 30 minutes from the top cause the steps just get bigger and bigger, but I stuck it out and didn't let anyone carry my bag. Very awesome at the top.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #17252
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
As much as I enjoyed her, the Warthog and I just weren't meant for each other!
SOLD! Wow! I was bombarded with e-mails, calls and texts...she sold fast! I had no idea that the TW market was so strong! Now I'm off to hunt for the next one...
Old 09-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #17253
DaddyGreenGenes
Delicious

Oddometer: 21
Weekend adventure

Ran into a fellow adventurer in Huntington WV today. So jealous I'm not adventuring to Yellowstone like Windhorse...Although I just got home from a nice 1400 mile weekender to Owensboro Ky, and back.

'12 Suzuki DRZ 400SSM
'12 Christini 300 AWD
DaddyGreenGenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #17254
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
SOLD! Wow! I was bombarded with e-mails, calls and texts...she sold fast! I had no idea that the TW market was so strong! Now I'm off to hunt for the next one...

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #17255
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Curious ...

At lunch the other week, it was apparent that different folks carry different things for roadside repair. (Tubes vs. tubeless in this case). As I'm closing in on a bike that is opposite of the GS (it has chain drive and tubes), I was just wondering what you folks who had the same carry with you. Extra tubes? Slime? Spoons? Master links? Chain breakers?

It's been decades since I owned a chain drive, and back in those days I didn't have any knowledge other than you should clean and lube periodically. I certainly haven't improved my brain with time. So --- what do you folks carry for the weekend jaunts and what should I think about packing along?

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #17256
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
And another thing ... !

Lunch this Friday? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #17257
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
At lunch the other week, it was apparent that different folks carry different things for roadside repair. (Tubes vs. tubeless in this case). As I'm closing in on a bike that is opposite of the GS (it has chain drive and tubes), I was just wondering what you folks who had the same carry with you. Extra tubes? Slime? Spoons? Master links? Chain breakers?

It's been decades since I owned a chain drive, and back in those days I didn't have any knowledge other than you should clean and lube periodically. I certainly haven't improved my brain with time. So --- what do you folks carry for the weekend jaunts and what should I think about packing along?
Having done two roadside flat repairs I'll tell you what I carry...

Front Tube
Rear Tube
2 6" tire irons
1 12" tire iron
Slime pump
disposable gloves
Valve core tool
bike tool kit to remove the wheel

Zip ties
duck tape

I probably should add some chain bits to my kit...I was on a ride were someones chain broke a link. A master link, chain tool and a rock were used to repair....I also had occasion to witness a cracked case repair trail side with JB Weld....
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #17258
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Having done two roadside flat repairs I'll tell you what I carry...

Front Tube
Rear Tube
2 6" tire irons
1 12" tire iron
Slime pump
disposable gloves
Valve core tool
bike tool kit to remove the wheel

Zip ties
duck tape

I probably should add some chain bits to my kit...I was on a ride were someones chain broke a link. A master link, chain tool and a rock were used to repair....I also had occasion to witness a cracked case repair trail side with JB Weld....
I definitely need to fab up a tool box for my WR. The factory tool kit is MIA and wasn't much to start with. I've been carrying a front tube, slime pump, a couple tire irons and a small set of wrenches. One of the challenges has been storing all this on the little bike. I need to fab up a metal box or something that bolts to the frame opposite the muffler so I don't have to put all the tools in a dry bag and strap it to the rear rack.

I also see a couple things on your list I should add. I also need to buy a couple of the combo axle wrench/tire irons to shed a tool or two.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #17259
Michhub
Major Medical

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
... I need to fab up a metal box or something that bolts to the frame opposite the muffler so I don't have to put all the tools in a dry bag and strap it to the rear rack...
I use the ever popular Agri Supply document holder for the XR...$5....

Bonsai Elephant - "
Old 09-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #17260
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,534
Quote:

Me too.. In fact we carry about the same stuff.

Tool tube:
factory tool kit
3 x 8" irons.
tube patches.
zip ties
elec tape

-in my fender pack I carry a front tube, and a "bead popper" tool.
-in my trunk I carry a tiny elec pump that plugs into my elec vest harness.
-my front wheel air/tube stem has a metal screw on cap that has a valve core thingy on it.

also I have a 16" metal rod that I use as a center stand, it stays hose clamped to my luggage rack frame.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #17261
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:

I've thought about those but worry that I would break it as I don't do but so well in my dealings with gravity. Also, every one I've seen on a WR end up mounted in a way that guarantees they hit first in a tip over to the left.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #17262
schlitz
the slow one

Oddometer: 107
Dinner?

I'd love to join you guys for lunch one friday but I can't get away from work. Anybody interested in a dinner meetup? Night Crew what?
Old 09-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #17263
Michhub
Major Medical

Seems the side stand method is no match for the mighty K60....Eppa was busy so I thought I would try it out....FAIL !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Bonsai Elephant - "
Old 09-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #17264
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
Seems the side stand method is no match for the mighty K60....Eppa was busy so I thought I would try it out....FAIL !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
My big freakin C clamp never fails. Unless it doesn't fit around the tire. Also, don't use the C clamp if you want to use the tire again. It stresses the sidewall pretty bad. I would of bought some of those tires from Eppa but the rears or fronts were all the wrong sizes for either bike.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #17265
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,747
Who rides a klr with rod holders and black and white dicing on. Age?