ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #17446
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,151
We're done riding for the day. Very tired, we did some deep, l-o-n-g water crossings, hills, sand, trails with a lot of big rocks and very deep gravel. There are some VERY good riders here, very humbling. Having a lot of fun, no broken parts on me or the bike.
We got a cool swag bag full of BMW hats, t-shirts, mugs, and other stuff! The best part is the stickers for our bikes!

Two bikes have already been injured, a bunch of scratches, a busted fog lamp and a drowned Adeventure model that now won't start. No human injuries yet
Old 09-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #17447
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Skippii, I'm afraid to ask how they make you more productive at night, but I'll ask anyway. How?
Here's something I did Tuesday night in my sleep after taking 20mg of Ambien, as recommended by my doctor and then immediately going to bed.

It was a standard USB Micro cable. Using only a pocketknife, (while at the same time having this plugged into the wall and charging my phone), I stripped the insulation and shield to reveal the 4 wires inside, and cut both data connections while leaving the power and ground connections intact. Stripped the data wires on one side and connected them together, while leaving the other side unconnected.
This accomplishes two separate things: First, shorting the data pins together allows some devices to draw much more current because it knows it's not connected to a USB port on a computer, which might be damaged if too much current is drawn. That's why Garmin GPSs swith to lowest screen brightness if you use a regular USB cable--their proprietary one on the 12 plug has the data pins together so it knows it can pull up to 2 amps.
Secondly, it allows me to plug my phone into a computer's USB port without the computer recognizing it and popping up a message box, so I could charge my phone without any alerts going off.

Do I need a cable like this? No, I do not. I was quiet irritated to wake up and find I'd hacked apart my cell phone charging cable while sleepwalking. That's really the least of my worries, though. Next to the charger, I also found the bottle of Ambian under my pillow. It seems I'd started sleepwalking, assumed I was awake, and decided to take a few more. I counted what was left, and I don't think took more than 10 or 20mg more.

People often find themselves doing basic stuff when sleepwalking on Ambien (usually eating, etc), but I assure you that's not always the case. Stripping and connecting wires in bed between the knife and your thumb requires a least a small amount of dexterity and mental thought. (I'm just glad I didn't plug in the soldering iron) Additionally, according to my Google search history, I even bothered to go online around 1am to double check the USB color codes before cutting them apart. Also in my search result history were some more scary queries, included "Leathal Dosage of Ambien" and "LD50."

As if that wasn't enough productivity for one night, I also randomly dialed about 5 different numbers between 1 and 2am, but I don't think I talked to anyone (Most weren't real numbers).

Then I started texting people. Some people even responded:

Quote:
Me: I vab"y typerohyow
Me: Hsrf to gjupe pn ghod jrubogaffssddddcm.
Me I d.s eems3hav shitgrd

Friend:Are you okay?

Me: I yhinnki ilost s lpyt pg gkngrt coordinatoon
I was weatcjinh thesr gjhypsii . Abd needey
I also texted another friend asking, "What's max daly for zolpidem taken 004away"

On of the weirst things was that my screen background for my phone was changed to a picture of a bottle of Nitrazepam--I'd never even heard of that drug before, and had to look it up the next day.

That was all Tuesday night, and I have no recollection of any of it, although some of the rewiring sort of sounds familiar the more I think about it. It wasn't until worth the next day that some coworkers expressed some concern about the text messages I'd been sending that I noticed anything was a little off. I had also been feeling a little exhausted and groggy, which seemed odd since I'd slept for 13 hours and there's a very short half-life. Or so I thought. As I tried to think back to the night, I remembered reading something about the similarities between the drugs Venlafexine and Tramadol, despite their very different usages.

So, what I'm saying is, even though you won't be aware of any of it, you can still be very productive and get stuff done after taking sleeping pills. I certainly wouldn't have had the idea to make that cable otherwise. Not that I want or needed that cable--although, it does actually still work well for charging.
But I was even able to remember doing some research on medications, so overall, I'd say it had to have a more productive night and sleep through all of it.

Needless to say, I've called my doctor and scheduled a new appointment with my doctor as soon as possible (almost 2 week) and have stopped taking this stuff. I said I'd never complain about the side effects from Trazodone ever again.

Which, of course, is why I'm back to only sleeping 2 or 3 hours a night and posting here after 1am. Took some Xanax a few hours ago which my doctor says helps some people sleep, and two more a little bit ago, but I've never really noticed it being very sedating--it just makes me not care if I don't sleep. )

Not sure what the next step is. My doctor and I had discussed Halcion or Midazalam possible being useful, but I'd really like the steer away from the amnesic Benzos and Z-drugs for a while, I think.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #17448
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Skippi, watch out with that Xanax, makes Chimps go berserk!

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #17449
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Skippi, watch out with that Xanax, makes Chimps go berserk!
I've never really be a fan of it, but it has its place.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:48 AM   #17450
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,151
I'm too excited to sleep, That stupid Honda jingle "i wanna ride I wanna ride" keeps haunting me and I woke after dreaming that I was back riding in the Mojave with RawHyde. I've woken up at 1;30, 2:30, 3:30 and now. Sleeping is made difficult as we are near train tracks, a big parking lot where tractor trailers have been moving all night and right now, some idiot just came in a massive truck to empty the dumpster close by. Andrew is snoring (in the tent next door) men are farting, the airport isnt too far and people unzipping their tents to go pee doesn't help either. Neither does the hundreds of crickets serenading me...it's been a long time since I was a medical officer in an infantry unit!

Stay tuned...they told (warned) us last night during the keg/ dinner reception that today's riding will separate us. Everything is point based...complete a obstacle or task +100, dab a foot -10 hit a cone -20 drop bike -50 finish perfectly +100, be late for a meeting or task -50. It's very "rally style" regarding the daily schedule. (here comes another train)

I am going to try to take a nap...more to follow, over and out.

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 05:05 AM
Eddy Alvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:19 AM   #17451
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,340
Cool Stickers

Eddy asked me to post this:

Old 09-22-2012, 06:11 AM   #17452
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT View Post
ok dirtdoc has put together a team for 2 rounds of golf in a tourney this weekend

since it seems none on the team has been playing much golf this summer, what's the over and under for lost balls?

I figure at least 3 for me
At least 3 for me.I'm coming loaded with a golf bag full of balls and counting on you all to carry my game.Can't wait.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #17453
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,737
Have a grat time Eddie ! Don't forget the aspirin .. Green with envy.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:31 AM   #17454
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
At least 3 for me.I'm coming loaded with a golf bag full of balls and counting on you all to carry my game.Can't wait.
so we're at 6 I'll put wifey down for 1, in case she plunks one in the water.

7 it is

this could get very ugly
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #17455
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,697
Hey Richmond's....hanging out in San Fran...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #17456
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Hey Richmond's....hanging out in San Fran...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Nice pix Chub.

One of my favorite cities out that way.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:20 AM   #17457
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,070
The Golfer's Dilemma

http://youtu.be/A0kdBDwNddc
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #17458
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT View Post
The Golfer's Dilemma

http://youtu.be/A0kdBDwNddc

As you saw my game starts on the tee box and quickly degenerates to the woods and other tight places...see you later for round two. Over and under looks
Old 09-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #17459
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,964
Back in town

Been gone two weeks and am trying to catch up with the multitue of posts. Man this group is chatty.

Eddy, good luck with the GS competition. We all want to see the videos and hear about it when you get back. Sounds like a great reason for you to sponsor another party!

Wish I could get out for a ride today, but I left my GS in WV. Maybe I'll fire up one of the K-bikes and take a little meander. Looks like a nice day to get out.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #17460
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Been gone two weeks and am trying to catch up with the multitue of posts. Man this group is chatty.

Eddy, good luck with the GS competition. We all want to see the videos and hear about it when you get back. Sounds like a great reason for you to sponsor another party!

Wish I could get out for a ride today, but I left my GS in WV. Maybe I'll fire up one of the K-bikes and take a little meander. Looks like a nice day to get out.

jeff
Welcome back!! Little breezy and nipply out there so far. Hopefully it'll warm up for you should you head out.