ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #17671
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
Just thought I'd share. This mans skills are incredible. I wish I had as much control riding a motorcyce as he has flying kites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=nr9KrqN_lIg
Just makes me wonder what the third kite was tied to? If it was what I think it was, then DAYYYUM, he is good.

I can do that with one stunt kite, maybe. But three? Wow.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #17672
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 847
A Minor Gripe

You know, when you pay almost $80 for a pair of footpegs, one would hope they'd have some quality control. I just got my IMS Pro Series Oversized Footpegs for the XRL, and wouldn't you know they weren't drilled correctly. Right one went on fine, but the holes in the left were slightly smaller than the pin, so I had to get creative with a dremel and a hammer. And both sides are spaced just a tad wide, so you can't use the washer/cotter pin on the ends. Just the pin. I suppose I need to find thinner washers.

Sorry to be a sour puss, but I don't see how hard it can be to come up with some decent measurements and then manufacture to them. One shouldn't have to grind and pound to get something to work. Not for simple $80 part, at least.

Oh ... and thanks Honda for screwing with my OCD! If you look straight down at the pegs from the top of the bike, you'll see that the left peg is tucked in against the frame ... and the right one sticks our several inches! You couldn't design a bike with symmetrical foot pegs! Now I'm going to have to see a therapist every time I mount the thing. LOL!

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #17673
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
You know, when you pay almost $80 for a pair of footpegs, one would hope they'd have some quality control. I just got my IMS Pro Series Oversized Footpegs for the XRL, and wouldn't you know they weren't drilled correctly. Right one went on fine, but the holes in the left were slightly smaller than the pin, so I had to get creative with a dremel and a hammer. And both sides are spaced just a tad wide, so you can't use the washer/cotter pin on the ends. Just the pin. I suppose I need to find thinner washers.

Sorry to be a sour puss, but I don't see how hard it can be to come up with some decent measurements and then manufacture to them. One shouldn't have to grind and pound to get something to work. Not for simple $80 part, at least.

Oh ... and thanks Honda for screwing with my OCD! If you look straight down at the pegs from the top of the bike, you'll see that the left peg is tucked in against the frame ... and the right one sticks our several inches! You couldn't design a bike with symmetrical foot pegs! Now I'm going to have to see a therapist every time I mount the thing. LOL!
Skippii or Eddy should be able to help you out.

I think they (aftermarket companies) all have issues..... which is why I hate installing these "simple" bolt accessories; none of them are. They all need tweaked. I just installed, and promptly removed, an EBC clutch pack that was (supposedly) designed for the KLR. The spring wire the springs were wound with was too large a diameter and they spring bound when attempting to disengage the clutch. They were also slightly longer than the OEM variety which compounded the issue even more.

There have also been reports that this same pack was short on friction and driven plates. Fortunately, this kit was okay in this regard, but still a PITA for those looking for an easy install.

Needless to say, I feel your pain. I hate accessories.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #17674
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,857
Quote:

Not to worry Rick, you'll probably bust them off anyway, so bring a spare set of pegs in your backpack.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #17675
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Ah, found the answer! Seems Honda is cheap. The XR650R is kick-start. Right side extends out to accomodate it. They use the same peg mounts, even though the "L" doesn't have it. Hence, asymmetrical. At least now my OCD has a reason to be aroused. LOL!

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #17676
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Ya'll enjoy your RTE tomorrow at City Dogs. I'm outta here at first light and headed to the mountains of WV for a long w/e of camping and riding. Supposed to be out of town next w/e too for a repeat. We'll catch up again - sometime..........

Old 10-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #17677
Hack
Meet George Jetson

Oddometer: 3,653
Have fun Guy. You gonna float with us next Friday?
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #17678
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
Have fun Guy. You gonna float with us next Friday?
If you're talking BWDR, I'm planning on it.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #17679
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,079
Guy Young, pplassm,

The 640 was rebuilt because it starved for oil after a bungled oil change that did not prime the (oil in the) frame properly = operator error. LC4's are quite reliable w/ proper maintenance. This particular motor has been rebuilt to a high standard, with reliability mods, by an acknowledged expert on LC4's. I spoke to Gary Emig just the other day and he remembers my motor well. You are welcome to call him and ask him about it - he's a very nice guy.

Boon Booni,

They are unique bikes and still at the top of allot of people's lists, but they are not for everybody.

Yes, that's mine for sale, better description here in the flea market, with reduced price :
advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827601
Old 10-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #17680
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,619
Quote:
You know, when you pay almost $80 for a pair of footpegs, one would hope they'd have some quality control. I just got my IMS Pro Series Oversized Footpegs for the XRL...
Quote:
Ah, found the answer! Seems Honda is cheap. The XR650R is kick-start. Right side extends out to accomodate it. They use the same peg mounts, even though the "L" doesn't have it. Hence, asymmetrical. At least now my OCD has a reason to be aroused. LOL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Ya'll enjoy your RTE tomorrow at City Dogs. I'm outta here at first light and headed to the mountains of WV for a long w/e of camping and riding. Supposed to be out of town next w/e too for a repeat. We'll catch up again - sometime..........
I'm out of City Dogs too....if I were in town I'd be there....Rick just to make you feel better I have the same pegs and they went on without a hitch on a bright note you can add the kick start if you want...
Same as you Guy, loaded up on activities when the weather is RIGHT S500 this weekend and, fingers crossed because the misses is strongly suggesting I DRIVE up to VT to visit relatives , I get to attend the BWDR....I just put on new knobbies, changed the oil and got the 530 ready for this weekend. The 990 is set for what ever with new K60's, oil change and new fueling map....now is the time we ride!
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #17681
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 10,962
Scratch that itch son...........
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #17682
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
I'm out of City Dogs too....if I were in town I'd be there....Rick just to make you feel better I have the same pegs and they went on without a hitch on a bright note you can add the kick start if you want...
Same as you Guy, loaded up on activities when the weather is RIGHT S500 this weekend and, fingers crossed because the misses is strongly suggesting I DRIVE up to VT to visit relatives , I get to attend the BWDR....I just put on new knobbies, changed the oil and got the 530 ready for this weekend. The 990 is set for what ever with new K60's, oil change and new fueling map....now is the time we ride!
I almost forgot about City Dogs. I'll have to remember tomorrow when it is time for lunch. Will be walking over from the office. It might still count as a RTE since I'll be riding to work. Dropped the cage off to get worked on and I absolutely hate the wife's car. Not sure why, but I cannot stand Honda cars. They all seem to drive funny. The wife's car has no steering feedback. I have no idea why they are so popular. It isn't even that they are cheap.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #17683
rctr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
So we are still on for the RTE tomorrow?

Jimmy
Rctr
Old 10-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #17684
DAAANG
LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Oddometer: 1,588
Anyone have a CRF450 clutch case cover? I busted mine today at shoe creek and I need one desperately for the Shen500.

Please call or text me ASAP if you can help at 7574701015.
*Warning:Riding with me may result in you starring in your own crash video.
Sales and Marketing Manager at Cycle World V.B.
DAAANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:13 AM   #17685
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctr View Post
So we are still on for the RTE tomorrow?

Jimmy
Rctr
Yeah
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote