ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #17746
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,314
[QUOTE=DirtDoctor;19787782]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325e30 View Post
Hey there, new guy here checking in. My names Garrett and I recently sold my car and bought a 94 XR650L. It's my first bike and I couldn't be happier! It's been a few years since I've ridden a bike but it's all coming back to me. My brother rides a BMW GS and I think we may go on an extended ride at some point.

Welcome to the Rchmond Chapter of the Asylum!

Andrew, I voted for you at my office and did so with my wifes' computer at home as well. Good luck!

Regarding the RTE this week, That's a negative for me. I'll be in Williamsburg for the day for a continuing education class on dentistry. Hope to join you all next week.
Then you'll only have 31 to go.................

Old 10-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #17747
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
We only have 3 more days to vote for the finalist in the BMW Trophy Challenge. Polls close Friday 10/12. This is my last shameless plea for everyone to get the word out and vote for Andrew Lacy (myself) to go on to the South America Finals.

Hopefully I will know one way or another just in time for the party at BWDR this weekend. So either it will be a celebration or a commiseration ride for me. /

Here is a direct link to the voting app in case you need it: https://www.facebook.com/BMWMotorrad...64801563554262 To vote simply click on my picture.

--Thanks, Andrew Lacy

Voted! Even posted on my wall. Maybe I can get a few non-BMW friends to jump on the bandwagon ...

"Iím lost. Iíve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #17748
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
Regarding the RTE this week, That's a negative for me. I'll be in Williamsburg for the day for a continuing education class on dentistry. Hope to join you all next week.
Priorities, man! Where are your priorities??

"Iím lost. Iíve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
Old 10-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #17749
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Priorities, man! Where are your priorities??
I know, I know...missing these RTE's is killing me!! LOL, Rick and Guy.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #17750
tg4360
Misfit Toy

Oddometer: 88
???

What's the normal show time for a RTE?
tg4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #17751
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg4360 View Post
what's the normal show time for a rte?
11:30

Old 10-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #17752
tg4360
Misfit Toy

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
11:30
Rodger.
tg4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #17753
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg4360 View Post
Rodger.
Over, Over.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #17754
Jersey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Good day for a long run.[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #17755
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey View Post
Good day for a long run.[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Looks like you had a great ride!

Eppa was telling me the other day about your bearing failure and how your bike is not really an off road bike....

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #17756
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,743
A famous spot.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #17757
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Hmmmm ... Interesting

Now that I am Farkle-Complete (well, almost, still need a new rear tire), I decided to take the XRL out for a little giddy-up tonight. Man, is that a different beast than the GS! Completely different ... everything. I got used to it semi-quickly though ... and then sat on my GS. LOL! Who would have thought that I would feel like I was on a low-slung cruiser on ole Max? Compared to that 37" perch on the XRL, the GS seems incredibly short. And fat. LOL! But I love that old bike. Let's see how well I adapt to the different riding styles.

I'm thinking of taking an easy ride out West Point way this Sunday. And let me emphasize the "easy" part. I want to see how my "Thumper Legs" do in a basic environment. If anyone is interested in watching me fall and struggle, let me know. LOL!

Old 10-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #17758
Hack
Meet George Jetson

Oddometer: 3,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Eppa was telling me the other day about your bearing failure
Must be going around. After only 56k miles on my Strom I blew out a right rear wheel bearing coming down I95 the other day. Guy Young to the rescue. Thanks again Guy.

Got a nifty peice of art out of the deal as well. Outer race was all that was left in the wheel after I removed it using all I had, my tool kit, Guy had to take it from there.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:28 AM   #17759
Mbarr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I am sort of a rookie at posting, but I have met many of you at various times. I have a couple of questions that perhaps you guys/gals can help me with. I just got my new to me DRZ400E titled and registered yesterday for an upcoming ride to the mountains with Eddie and Chuck. I purchased a new tail light and other stuff to get my bike inspected, but I think that they will probably ask that I turn my tail light into a brake light. There is an extra red wire that came with the assembly, but I don't know what other "stuff" I need to wire it to the brakes, if that's even possible. Does Guy or anyone have a suggestion?

Last question, I have 5 bikes in my garage (some dirt bikes). I am constantly having to take the dirt bikes to get the carburetors cleaned or something. I have always wanted to learn the mysteries of the carb, if anyone would like to show me how to remove and clean a carb (1995 Honda XR100 specifically), I would pay for your time.

Thanks

Mike
Mbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:01 AM   #17760
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbarr View Post
I am sort of a rookie at posting, but I have met many of you at various times. I have a couple of questions that perhaps you guys/gals can help me with. I just got my new to me DRZ400E titled and registered yesterday for an upcoming ride to the mountains with Eddie and Chuck. I purchased a new tail light and other stuff to get my bike inspected, but I think that they will probably ask that I turn my tail light into a brake light. There is an extra red wire that came with the assembly, but I don't know what other "stuff" I need to wire it to the brakes, if that's even possible. Does Guy or anyone have a suggestion?

Last question, I have 5 bikes in my garage (some dirt bikes). I am constantly having to take the dirt bikes to get the carburetors cleaned or something. I have always wanted to learn the mysteries of the carb, if anyone would like to show me how to remove and clean a carb (1995 Honda XR100 specifically), I would pay for your time.

Thanks

Mike
That extra wire is probably for the brake light. Not knowing exactly what a stock "E" has in the way of a wiring harness and other bits, you may need to add in, and wire a brake light switch to activate the brake light. May need a switch for the front brake lever too. Not sure if VA requires that.

To pass inspection, you'll need a horn, high and low beam headlight, and at least one LH mounted mirror.

I read on some of the forums that folks just get a complete "S" wiring harness which just kinda makes it a plug and play once the (electro) mechanical bits are in place. eBay might be your friend there.