ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #17776
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Don't pay him no mind. All the “vintage” stuff he works on have jets so large that you can drive a truck through. You're stuff will require a little more finesse since they are considerably smaller.
Ha! I know there is something funny in there about you preferring "smaller" stuff.....

Mike, I have owned and rebuilt several XR100s. Our stable in WV is full of Honda dirtbikes. With a 200 psi compressor, a propane torch, a hydrauic press, and a gallon of liquid nitrogen, I can fix any carb problem you have. Just don't let me start drinking until I'm done.....

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #17777
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 859
Bwdr

You guys are killing me !!!!! Mike ..... carbs are fairly easy. See one, do one, teach one. Im still on the "do one" so you better go to Guy or Jeff.

I just got back into town. I will see some of you tomorrow at the RTE. Guy ..... Im bringing cash.

Any of you inmates going over to the BWDR? If so, when? Friday or Sat? Any planned rides? Last year we found some jeep trails that humbled our experience at the time. Im eager to see if they still hold the same challenge after a year of practice. Anyone interested?

All the Wee-Strom wheel bearing failures kind-of freaked me out. It made me go out and buy some new ones for the GS. Once out .... the old ones still looked good but I replaced them any way. Front only. The rear bearings are in the final dive of the 12GS. Im not so eager to get that project going. Always something.

If anyone finds a headlight assembly for an 07 R1200GS let me know. The adjustment ball on the inside broke off so the light is pointing straight up and can not be adjusted. New headlights are $400+.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #17778
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,351
Jeff showed me how to clean the carb on my son's XR70 and I learned enough to do it again.... and again ;) Seriously he took his time and helped me out! I really appreciated it too.

Oh yeah, only rear brake needed for brake light. Any other inspection questions you can PM me.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #17779
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
You guys are killing me !!!!! Mike ..... carbs are fairly easy. See one, do one, teach one. Im still on the "do one" so you better go to Guy or Jeff.

I just got back into town. I will see some of you tomorrow at the RTE. Guy ..... Im bringing cash.

Any of you inmates going over to the BWDR? If so, when? Friday or Sat? Any planned rides? Last year we found some jeep trails that humbled our experience at the time. Im eager to see if they still hold the same challenge after a year of practice. Anyone interested?

All the Wee-Strom wheel bearing failures kind-of freaked me out. It made me go out and buy some new ones for the GS. Once out .... the old ones still looked good but I replaced them any way. Front only. The rear bearings are in the final dive of the 12GS. Im not so eager to get that project going. Always something.

If anyone finds a headlight assembly for an 07 R1200GS let me know. The adjustment ball on the inside broke off so the light is pointing straight up and can not be adjusted. New headlights are $400+.
If all goes per the latest plan (itself a moving target), I'll be heading to BWDR tomorrow after RTE, with sticker pick-up en route.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #17780
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,923
Say "Hi" to ed from the Ninja'
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #17781
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
Say "Hi" to ed from the Ninja'
Will do!

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
Old 10-12-2012, 05:20 AM   #17782
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
If all goes per the latest plan (itself a moving target), I'll be heading to BWDR tomorrow after RTE, with sticker pick-up en route.
grab the Va tag out in Tamworth on your way west
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:34 AM   #17783
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 847
Question Pad Thai? Really?

OK, so I used Google Maps to see how to get to Pad Thai. Then I pulled up Street View, so I would recognize the place. This is where Google thinks I'm eating today. Really? LOL!

Spinning around (virtually, of course), I don't see a restaurant. Is it the shipping container? In the van? :-)

"I’m lost. I’ve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #17784
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
OK, so I used Google Maps to see how to get to Pad Thai. Then I pulled up Street View, so I would recognize the place. This is where Google thinks I'm eating today. Really? LOL!

Spinning around (virtually, of course), I don't see a restaurant. Is it the shipping container? In the van? :-)

It's the building in the far right of your picture. Used to be a garage.

Don't let the looks deceive you. The food inside is excellent.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #17785
Mbarr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thanks a ton for the offer to help. Jeff, I am pretty much free anytime during the weekend and after work (starting around 6:00 pm). At your convenience. Payment upon request. I would like to bring the bike with me, if possible.

On the inspection for the DRZ, I think that I have everything done except the rear brake light. I ordered a couple of cheap spring loaded switch gizmos and wire to connect to the brake and tail light. Still seems like a mystery how it would work since it seems as though the tail light stays on all the time. We'll see.

Thanks again for the help.

M. B.
Mbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #17786
MotoMujer
Adventurette

rte

Ill be late... traffic near fort lee is heiness, then there is the matter involving speeding ticket..... if I miss y'all, post up what is good to try. :/

Old 10-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #17787
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbarr View Post
On the inspection for the DRZ, I think that I have everything done except the rear brake light. I ordered a couple of cheap spring loaded switch gizmos and wire to connect to the brake and tail light. Still seems like a mystery how it would work since it seems as though the tail light stays on all the time. We'll see.

Thanks again for the help.

M. B.
Your new taillight probably takes a dual filiment bulb. That's what the other wire is for. As for switch, I like those banjo bolt pressure switches.. no mounting or spring linkage.. and they're cheap. keep that in mind if you have trouble finding a way to mount the regular kind.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #17788
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,448
rte

hate to miss the pad thai. Remodeling a bathroom, have a drywall guy in here today so I'm stuck.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #17789
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,892
S500 story and pics?

Hey Mike,
Did I miss the posting? Have you posted any pics or related stories of the Shenandoah 500? Guy and several of us rode over to Brandywine on Saturday to meet you at the lunch stop. We were there from 1300 to about 1320. Walked thru the fire station and checked out all the bikes, but somehow missed you. It was quite and impressive crowd of bikes. Only saw one 1200GS though. but lots of Kabooms. Anyway, sorry we missed you.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #17790
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
It's the building in the far right of your picture. Used to be a garage.

Don't let the looks deceive you. The food inside is excellent.

So Hig and Skychs - what did you think???

I love the food.