ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #17791
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
So Hig and Skychs - what did you think???

I love the food.
Well, now that the fires of hell have stopped raging in my mouth (and before said poison works its way through the plumbing), I'd have to say it was a keeper. Nice place, great food, and they know hot. Really close to home for me too. Definitely keep this in the RTE rotation.

"Iím lost. Iíve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #17792
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Hey Mike,
Did I miss the posting? Have you posted any pics or related stories of the Shenandoah 500? Guy and several of us rode over to Brandywine on Saturday to meet you at the lunch stop. We were there from 1300 to about 1320. Walked thru the fire station and checked out all the bikes, but somehow missed you. It was quite and impressive crowd of bikes. Only saw one 1200GS though. but lots of Kabooms. Anyway, sorry we missed you.

jeff
We were a bit late to lunch due to some carnage...nobody injured in our group but there was a broken ankle by someone. We just got tangled up past Big Meadow on one rocky uphill...we got to Brandywine closer to 2pm.
I only took a few pics with my phone....it was fun....Saturday anyway....Sunday not so much.

Up in VT right now...talk about cold...
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #17793
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 663
they're here!

And PINK!

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #17794
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,506
Quote:
Hey Mike,
Did I miss the posting? Have you posted any pics or related stories of the Shenandoah 500? Guy and several of us rode over to Brandywine on Saturday to meet you at the lunch stop. We were there from 1300 to about 1320. Walked thru the fire station and checked out all the bikes, but somehow missed you. It was quite and impressive crowd of bikes. Only saw one 1200GS though. but lots of Kabooms. Anyway, sorry we missed you.

jeff
I went with Jeff Cooke, Bobb Seitz and John Craner. Saturday was marvelous. Sunday was cold and wet. It warmed up after the lunch stop. I tried a Pirelli MT43 trials tire on my DRZ400. Traction city! Wear not bad, either, plus it's DOT gepruft.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:42 AM   #17795
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,096
Mortons Octoberfest is today. My boy and I are heading up around 0900-0930-ish in my warm, comfy GMC truck. If you are between Chester and Morton's and want to ride up with me, drag a bike up there for servicing or just want to cage it today, PM me. If you need something brought back like a filter, part, bike, etc...let me know, I will be happy to help.

Also, if you know of anyone needing work, I am looking for someone to help me plant plants, move and spread a BIG pile of mulch, dig up, split, replant a bunch of monkey grasss and a bunch of other yard work/deck repairs. I am open this or next Sunday. It will be all day. Is $10/hour a fair rate for yard labor? I will also need at least two or three weekend days in late Oct, early Nov to help me rake up and bags leaves...I have nine full sized oaks, last year we bagged up 72 bags AFTER sucking them up in my yard vac which chops them into tiny leaf bits!

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 10:09 AM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:27 AM   #17796
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Also, if you know of anyone needing work, I am looking for someone to help me plant plants, move and spread a BIG pile of mulch, dig up, split, replant a bunch of monkey grasss and a bunch of other yard work/deck repairs. I am open this or next Sunday. It will be all day. Is $10/hour a fair rate for yard labor? I will also need at least two or three weekend days in late Oct, early Nov to help me rake up and bags leaves...I have nine full sized oaks, last year we bagged up 72 bags AFTER sucking them up in my yard vac which chops them into tiny leaf bits!

Wow Eddy. As enticing as that all sounds I'm thinking that if you left all those leaves on the ground you'd have a lot less grass to cut in the summer. I'm so happy we don't have any yard or grass here in P-town. I don't miss that kinda work at all!

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #17797
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,506
Sunday Morning, Shenandoah 500:

Old 10-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #17798
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
I'm missing all these opportunities to ride, but had a great time at Poseidon watching my youngest son swim short course in his meet today. Does anyone know if Bikes in the Bottom is on for tomorrow? I may try to hit it early but have to be back on the pool deck to work the meet by 12 noon tomorrow.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #17799
MotoMujer
Adventurette

one year

I bought my first bike one year ago today. Put 11068 on the odo. Good first year.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
Old 10-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #17800
schlitz
the slow one

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
I bought my first bike one year ago today. Put 11068 on the odo. Good first year.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #17801
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Poes tomorrow? Hmmm, sounds like a plan. See whoever there.

Oh, and Brenda, congrats!! Quite a bit o riding!

"Iím lost. Iíve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
Old 10-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #17802
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,928
Fatal Accident on the Smoke Hole Road

Just found out about this. It happened Saturday 6 October. The rider's name was Christian Zimmern and he was from Northern Virginia. Does anyone know him? Was he an ADVrider?

Christian Zimmern obituary

RIP Christian.

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #17803
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Quote:
Just found out about this. It happened Saturday 6 October. The rider's name was Christian Zimmern and he was from Northern Virginia. Does anyone know him? Was he an ADVrider?

Christian Zimmern obituary

RIP Christian.
Very sorry to learn of this.

Just rode Smoke Hole Rd with a group of folks yesterday. Those blind curves are no joke. Be careful out there!!!

Old 10-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #17804
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Cry Sigh ...

OK, I have to admit something. I am a bad ADVer.

When I ride out west towards the mountains, I occasionally hit the odd gravel road. And I've never liked them. I've always racked it up to inexperience and perhaps lack of confidence. No biggie. Just need practice. Then I went on a mud ride with you guys last December with the GS ... and didn't like it at all. Again, I told myself that it was my lack of experience and the fact that I was riding a 1/4 ton bike. But still I wanted to learn, thinking off-road skills had to help my on-road skills.

So I bought an XRL and took it to West Point today. Bike handled really well. It's meant for the dirt. My skills weren't all that bad. By the end of the runs, I was feeling fairly confident. And yet ... I still didn't like it. Not one bit. Couldn't wait to get back on pavement.

I've been pondering this all the way home. I guess I bought the XRL in order to force something. I suppose I should have gone with my gut instincts though. I love street riding. Absolutely, 100% love it. And I just don't enjoy off-pavement. (There, I said it! Guess I have to remove my ADV sticker now).

I suppose I wanted to go play with guys so bad, I thought a better machine would make the difference. But I still just don't feel happiness in the woods. If a simple Jeep trail and a forest road are unpleasant, I suppose I have to admit that the more gnarly stuff isn't going to make me any happier.

Sigh.

Live and learn I suppose. I'm not sure what to do next. Maybe I'll try again, but the way I feel when I transition to off-pavement doesn't seem to change, no matter the machine or my skill level. It just doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.

Guess I need to think about selling the XRL. Or maybe sleep on it. Anyway, just wanted to purge my brain and admit my (usual) ready, fire, aim mentality.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #17805
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post

Way to go Brenda, that's some serious riding. Keep it up!