ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #18031
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
I've had 2 bike inspections in 17 years and many, many motorcycles registered. Haven't been tagged for it yet.

This revelation will probably guarantee a ticket.

It's worth it though, if you consider time and effort expended.
I only get them inspected if I'm trying to sell.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #18032
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,803
Quote:
I've had 2 bike inspections in 17 years and many, many motorcycles registered. Haven't been tagged for it yet.

I've been ticketed once for an expired inspection (bonus to a speeding ticket) and bluffed my way out of two others because someone must have stolen my inspection sticker.

I get it done nowadays just because.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #18033
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,916
Ultimate cycle usually inspects mine. Bought a bike there and now they inspect them for free, even if it isn't the one I bought from them. Dad takes his to the exxon near Three Chopt and Forest.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:04 AM   #18034
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 850
inspection

I have been using Honda house but I think I will give Ken's a try next time. My CB900 is due.

In regards to the legality of not having an inspection .... and if its anything like the aviation world .... I have heard that if you have an accident and the bike is not inspected the insurance company has the option of not covering the policy. That's just what I heard. Anyone know the law here?

Last year a friend and I rode through a DUI check point and they gave him a ticket for an expired inspection. He had to ride all the way back to the county he got the ticket in to have the ticket dismissed but it still cost him $75 court costs. Lets see .... $75 divided by $15 = 5. 5 inspections per ticket.

RTE .... looks like I can make it this week. I will have some RVA stickers with me.

skychs screwed with this post 10-25-2012 at 07:47 PM
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:19 AM   #18035
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 850
Large Gerbing Heated Jacket

With the addition of my new KLIM jacket its time to sell my "like new" Gerbing Cascade Xtreme Heated jacket. Its a full jacket with a removable heated jacket liner. I paid well over $300 for the jacket about 3 years ago and its been a great jacket. Just a new Gerbing liner today is over $200. I'd like to get $200 for the set .... jacket and liner. I also have an XL heated insole "new" as well as a small Gerbing Cascade Xtreme ladies heated pants and liner. Like new.

skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:23 AM   #18036
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,036
If you haven't seen this RTW report I highly recommend it. He made it to Europe and has begin the trip eastward.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #18037
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 651
Since you guys have now outted yourselves as a bunch of uninspected outlaws, and I don't need yet more excuses for a ticket, my inspection sticker is now updated. Went to Shumate's...couldn't beat the locational convenience. They got a chuckle at my expense. When they parked the bike outside the office, they turned the kill switch to the OFF position, something I don't typically do. As a result, the bike wouldn't turn. What they didn't know was that I had left my GPS on for approx 2 wks, which drained my battery, and that I had my battery on a tender overnight. I figured the nonstart just meant that the battery didn't have multiple starts in it yet, and I asked if they could lend me a jump starter. This they found amusing. I proceeded to take the seat off and hook everything up only for nothing to happen. Now I was stumped. One of them reached over and flipped the kill switch back into the ON position and voila, bike started. This they found more amusing. Nice. Btw, Jeff, I didn't have to tell them that you sent me their direction, they said one look at the bike and they knew it. Think that is a good thing?

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #18038
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
BP, any extra charge for the lesson???

VAC
2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 650/719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #18039
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
..They got a chuckle at my expense. When they parked the bike outside the office, they turned the kill switch to the OFF position..

Think it's safe to say, we have all been there..
Old 10-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #18040
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
..They got a chuckle at my expense. When they parked the bike outside the office, they turned the kill switch to the OFF position..

Think it's safe to say, we have all been there.. I turned mine off once while riding.. fidgety right hand I guess. Coasted to the road side, and dinked around totally perplexed, seat off etc. for at least a half hour.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #18041
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Think it's safe to say, we have all been there..
Last week, as a matter of fact. Dude at Velocity had flipped my kill switch and I never use it. Couldn't figure out why it wouldn't fire. Really great in from of a bunch of mechanics. LOL!

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #18042
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,916
Maybe I'm just weird or the MSF indoctrination stuck with me. I always use the switch. Sometimes I forget to turn the key off and remove it at short stops though as a side effect. Then I notice the headlight on still and grab my key.

On the flip side, I've yet to be totally stumped by it being off. Now, on my Ninja, the first day, I ran out of gas a stop light on Skipwith and took several minutes to remember the petcock to switch to reserve. Luckily there was no traffic to embarrass me as I sat through a cycle or two of the light. After that, it was firmly ingraned to reach down and flip it to reserve when the bike started stumbling on the road. I probably wouldn't think that now as I've been on FI bikes ever since.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #18043
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,914
I always turn mine off as well. (Except for Stella because it is Indian and shorts out the electronics)

Early one crisp Colorado morning at 12k feet my Strom wouldn't start up. Turned out one of the electrical connectors to the switch underneath had come loose on the rocky road. Certainly worth checking those, cleaning and coating with dielectric grease.
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #18044
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:

I would never get my bike inspected if the Navy didn't think it was their right to check prior to allowing me on base. I have no idea why they feel the need to enforce that stupid law.
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #18045
dawgwhat
No Earthy Idea

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger123 View Post
I would never get my bike inspected if the Navy didn't think it was their right to check prior to allowing me on base. I have no idea why they feel the need to enforce that stupid law.
not to much longer and ya won't have 2