ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #18181
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
That is a nice gun Guy, I used to own one of those and a .458 Weatherby. My ex was a non gun lover, hence they are both gone............so is she now. Both of those guns would drop anything you point them at, would also kill your shoulder as well.

When Green Top had there open house Sue and I went there for the sole purpose of buying new hand guns, the sale prices were great and we both got M&P's with safeties (I found it strange that they sell guns without safeties now.)

I asked the salesmen to show Sue what a .458 round looked like compared to the 9 mm I was buying. That sucker was huge and a box of 20 was $184.00 on sale compared to a box of 50 9 mm for target shooting for $12.00.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #18182
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,109
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwn306 View Post
That is a nice gun Guy, I used to own one of those and a .458 Weatherby. .....a box of 20 was $184.00 on sale compared to a box of 50 9 mm for target shooting for $12.00.
sure you don't mean .460wby mag?
http://www.weatherby.com/product/amm...rtridges/40337

I believe it did use a .458 diameter slug tho..

I had a .458 win mag, and it was tame compared to the weatherby... well, somewhat....they both make you flinch after the first BOOM..

and even while I manufactured my own ammo, it still co$t big buck$ to $hoot......
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #18183
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,325
Bivalve molluscs at the Urbanna Oyster Festival:

Nice group of riders at the New Kent Rest Area before heading off to Urbanna. Nice ride down and durn near "private parking":

Greg 'cessing out the vittles:

The waterfront:

A very nice day.

All pix at:

http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...6302585_PH4LfV

Old 11-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #18184
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,869
yea, sorry I missed that oyster ride. damn neck is killing me. MRI on the 12th
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #18185
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT View Post
yea, sorry I missed that oyster ride. damn neck is killing me. MRI on the 12th
Yes, sorry you missed it too. Get well!!

Old 11-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #18186
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Urbanna Oyster Festival

Had a great time at the Oyster Festival today. Those were some tastee good bivalves. Nice riding with you guys!

Get well Buddy, we missed you.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #18187
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
Had a great time at the Oyster Festival today. Those were some tastee good bivalves. Nice riding with you guys!

Get well Buddy, we missed you.
Ditto that Greg. Very nice day, indeed.

And Mickey - thank you for the Brrr Ride reminder. Time has been such a blur and didn't realize it was NEXT weekend. Missing it would have really been embarrassing.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #18188
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 905
Oyster festival

Great day at the festival today. Guy, thanks for the photos. Between the fried oysters, the broiled oysters, the crab soup, the oyster stew and the corn dog ..... I was one happy camper.

The 50+ herd of motorcycles from the rest area to the festival actually went off without a hitch. Once the group got rolling everyone stayed together and arrived at the same time. I was very surprised. Thanks Rusty.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #18189
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 905
12GS skid plate

The Tourtech skid plate arrived this afternoon for the 12GS so off to the garage I went.

To my surprise .... when I looked under the bike I noticed the original skid plate had been dented and smashed from the last ride at BWDR. The skid plate was actually touching the bottom of the engine. When I got it off I could not believe my eyes. Not only was the skid plate bent but the front mounting bracket was also bent.

Here are some of the photos... In the last photo you can see where I was hitting the cross over as well as the side of the exhaust.

Lesson learned here ..... get a good skid plate if your going to ride off road.

skychs screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 07:55 PM
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #18190
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
I assume you have seen his two films??

If not, I have them both and you're welcome to borrow them at any time.

At Velocity during one of his screenings:

All pix at:
http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...9706854_3qq7hG

That would be awesome Guy! I have seen both and was thrilled to have made it that night.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:47 AM   #18191
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
The Tourtech skid plate arrived this afternoon for the 12GS so off to the garage I went.

To my surprise .... when I looked under the bike I noticed the original skid plate had been dented and smashed from the last ride at BWDR. The skid plate was actually touching the bottom of the engine. When I got it off I could not believe my eyes. Not only was the skid plate bent but the front mounting bracket was also bent.

Here are some of the photos... In the last photo you can see where I was hitting the cross over as well as the side of the exhaust.

No idea what you are talking about . Nothing ever gets damaged at the BWDR..... Except a liver or two.

Nice skid plate. That one came stock on the 30th model. I didn't use Lottie on mine just put stickers over the flush mount bolts.. It is great now that you can "justify"the purchase due to damage
Old 11-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #18192
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Since work has been a little slow and I am waiting on parts, finally had a chance to play with my assortment of guns a bit. While piecing four (4) AR lowers together, I have had to make several trips to the range to sort out some issues with one of them. That, thankfully, has finally been resolved.

Also played with a number of my other rifles, most of which are "smaller" calibers. Got me to thinking that I need to get my BIG gun (Marlin 1895M in Marlin 450) out there and see how it does. Comparatively speaking, me thinks all the rest were just toys.

Will be back out there Tuesday, weather permitting. I'm sure my shoulder is looking forward to this.

I have a 45-70. What a beast. Those lever evolution rounds are the bomb digity! Are you running a flat conventional round first or did you get the free widget from Marlin?
Old 11-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #18193
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,869
Quote:
Great day at the festival today. Guy, thanks for the photos. Between the fried oysters, the broiled oysters, the crab soup, the oyster stew and the corn dog ..... I was one happy camper.

The 50+ herd of motorcycles from the rest area to the festival actually went off without a hitch. Once the group got rolling everyone stayed together and arrived at the same time. I was very surprised. Thanks Rusty.
yea, rub it in about the good food out there.

Rusty does a good job with a bunch of riders
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #18194
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
I have a 45-70. What a beast. Those lever evolution rounds are the bomb digity! Are you running a flat conventional round first or did you get the free widget from Marlin?
Blooch, I got the gun from a friend in IN for a song...... and I can't sing. Bought it used (+ the ammo) and he only put 6-7 rounds through it, so no "widget."

Now you have my curiosity up: explain the purpose of the widget.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #18195
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,407
That's really nice looking Chuck. It would really be a shame to go beat the crap out of it bouncing off the rocks again. You already know my perspective on riding big (heavy) bikes in the really rough stuff. That's what dirt bikes are for. I would not intentionally beat the crap out of that nice new skid plate with say a 5 pound sledge hammer and that would probably would be more gentle than riding it through the rough stuff and bouncing 650+ pounds of bike plus rider off the rocks. I'm sticking to forrestry and gravel roads.

Here’s my nice new AltRider package on my bike. I don’t intend to intentionally take a chance of damaging it. It’s just there for protection during one of those “Oh shit ” moments.

Quote:

MADSTROM screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 12:48 PM
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote