ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #18241
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Ok ..... someone has to say it .... and its nothing personal ..... BUT ......

Andrew, Eddy, Jeff, Todd ...... Help!
Ok Chuck,

Here it is...I'm the newest to the GS/Adventure Rider here, but I'm with you. I spent 4 years racing hare scrambles to Supercross in the late '80's, I switch to road racing and ran every thing from Super Teams Endurance to Superbike. I road dirt bikes on and off for the last 18 years.

When I got the chance to ride on the road again I did my research. I rode 30 different bikes, everything from Ducatis to Harleys. I thought I new what I wanted until I rode the GS, then I started to compare everything to the GS and realized, WHY??? The GS is the bike!

On this bike I can scrape the pegs in the corners or bury it in the mud(I haven't yet but I could and not worry). I see these videos of guys and I talk to friends I raced with that do everything we use to with the 250's, except fly 70 ft triples, but you now what I mean. I rode a RMZ250 this weekend and as I was I realized, I don't need this I have a GS. I just need to learn to ride it the way it is intended.

I know a lot of you have so much experience with these big bikes and would love to get the chance to learn from you. I look at these websites and see these classes, then realize, we have most that terrain near us and don't utilize it. So let's do just what Chuck is saying, learn to use these bikes to the capabilities instead of going back to the little bikes for the difficult stuff. Of course, we are not going to be doing observed trails on these bikes, but we can run them almost any where.

I know I have not met many of you and can't wait to, so let me know what we have around here to get better. Andrew has proven his abilities at the GS Trophy Challenge, I hear Eddy has done the RawHyde camps, Jeff you have logged some serious time in the saddle on almost every continent, etc.... I need to pic your brains and everyone else I can, so I can get out everything this bike is capable of.

I didn't purchase this bike to just tool up and down the road. I want to ride on the beach in Corrolla, without getting stuck. I want to ride for hours with out touching pavement and without letting the crash bars touch the ground. this is the start of it, then off to countries that I may not touch but one or two paved roads for days.

I have only put 6000 miles on this bike in three months of ownership, and road off road a couple times. First time on the AP and fire trails at Mountain Lake(forgot to turn the ABS off, That won't happen again), second in West Point at the "Mud Runs", Third was 2-up at Crabtree falls and the trails around there. I have done some misc off roading here and there on dirt roads and trails but nothing were I was on them for an hour or more at a time like the others.

Okay...who wants to put some dirt under there tires and start logging some serious time on the trails?

Hope that help Chuck...I think it just became a plea for help more than anything.
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #18242
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctr View Post
We should have the RTE at Guy's house!!!

Jimmy
Rctr

Im there just send me and address
Old 11-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #18243
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
Ok Chuck,

Here it is...I'm the newest to the GS/Adventure Rider here, but I'm with you. I spent 4 years racing hare scrambles to Supercross in the late '80's, I switch to road racing and ran every thing from Super Teams Endurance to Superbike. I road dirt bikes on and off for the last 18 years.

When I got the chance to ride on the road again I did my research. I rode 30 different bikes, everything from Ducatis to Harleys. I thought I new what I wanted until I rode the GS, then I started to compare everything to the GS and realized, WHY??? The GS is the bike!

On this bike I can scrape the pegs in the corners or bury it in the mud(I haven't yet but I could and not worry). I see these videos of guys and I talk to friends I raced with that do everything we use to with the 250's, except fly 70 ft triples, but you now what I mean. I rode a RMZ250 this weekend and as I was I realized, I don't need this I have a GS. I just need to learn to ride it the way it is intended.

I know a lot of you have so much experience with these big bikes and would love to get the chance to learn from you. I look at these websites and see these classes, then realize, we have most that terrain near us and don't utilize it. So let's do just what Chuck is saying, learn to use these bikes to the capabilities instead of going back to the little bikes for the difficult stuff. Of course, we are not going to be doing observed trails on these bikes, but we can run them almost any where.

I know I have not met many of you and can't wait to, so let me know what we have around here to get better. Andrew has proven his abilities at the GS Trophy Challenge, I hear Eddy has done the RawHyde camps, Jeff you have logged some serious time in the saddle on almost every continent, etc.... I need to pic your brains and everyone else I can, so I can get out everything this bike is capable of.

I didn't purchase this bike to just tool up and down the road. I want to ride on the beach in Corrolla, without getting stuck. I want to ride for hours with out touching pavement and without letting the crash bars touch the ground. this is the start of it, then off to countries that I may not touch but one or two paved roads for days.

I have only put 6000 miles on this bike in three months of ownership, and road off road a couple times. First time on the AP and fire trails at Mountain Lake(forgot to turn the ABS off, That won't happen again), second in West Point at the "Mud Runs", Third was 2-up at Crabtree falls and the trails around there. I have done some misc off roading here and there on dirt roads and trails but nothing were I was on them for an hour or more at a time like the others.

Okay...who wants to put some dirt under there tires and start logging some serious time on the trails?

Hope that help Chuck...I think it just became a plea for help more than anything.

Welcome inmate. Hope to ride with you some time.. I split my time between the valley and Norfolk. Meet and eat.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #18244
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
Welcome inmate. Hope to ride with you some time.. I split my time between the valley and Norfolk. Meet and eat.
Blooch...thank you and yes we do have to meet up...Nicole and I wanted to try to make it to your weeekend in Elkton, because all the great fun everyone told us about and the great rides. We had an event already planned before you knew about it and could not bag it, because they change to date for us. That would have been bad to ditch after they accommodated us. But we will definitately make next year if we can.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #18245
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
Im there just send me and address
I thought everyone knew how to get to Guy's house.

.. or at least his Garage which is right behind the building where his wife lives.

This is what happens when I have to be into work early to do 30 seconds worth of work.
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #18246
toddzacker
NO FILTER

[QUOTE=jgiacobbe;19972791]I thought everyone knew how to get to Guy's house.

Newby!!! Not as worldly as all you old timers...
Old 11-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #18247
toddzacker
NO FILTER

[QUOTE=toddzacker;19972882]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I thought everyone knew how to get to Guy's house.

Newby!!! Not as worldly as all you old timers...
See I can't even Quote someone correctly...I thought us youngster were better at computers than you old folks...
Old 11-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #18248
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Change ADV Name on posts

Speaking of that...Can someone help me change my name on this or am I stuck with my original name? I want to be cool like everyone else and have a neat handle. Thats CB talk I think...Do I need to make a whole new inmate profile...now thats ADV talk......think I'm getting this...
Old 11-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #18249
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
[QUOTE=toddzacker;19972897]
Quote:

See I can't even Quote someone correctly...I thought us youngster were better at computers than you old folks...
I think he called me old. I'll admit to being closer to 40 than 30 now, but don't consider myself old. Also, on the technology side, don't under estimate this group. We have some IT folks of most every type, some engineers, some pilots, a dentist, a PA and then some that are retired and we just don't ask what they did because I don't think they can tell us.
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #18250
toddzacker
NO FILTER

[QUOTE=jgiacobbe;19972928]
Quote:

I think he called me old. I'll admit to being closer to 40 than 30 now, but don't consider myself old. Also, on the technology side, don't under estimate this group. We have some IT folks of most every type, some engineers, some pilots, a dentist, a PA and then some that are retired and we just don't ask what they did because I don't think they can tell us.
I'm still a newby even though I'm older than you......so I still need help...just ask Nicole...she will say I need a lot of help......oh well, I know a couple of those guys you just mentioned and they have more time to be on here than me.

Well dirtdoc doesn't during the day as much and if skychs has a lay over he is hitting it prettty hard...but the way it looks no one can keep up with guy...he da man!!!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #18251
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,012
What is going on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Ok ..... someone has to say it .... and its nothing personal ..... BUT ......

Can we please stop bashing the big GS's regarding taking them off road. If there was ever a bike designed to take off road its the BMW Adventure GS series bikes.

Im proud of my GS, what it can do and how well it rides. I know of a handful of other GS riders here that feel the same way. Its not the best bike for everyone because of the price or the size but to me its the best bike I have ever owned. If I had to sell all the bikes in my garage it would be the last one standing.

Andrew, Eddy, Jeff, Todd ...... Help!

Geez, go away for a couple of days and I open the forum up to find everyone's panties in a bunch. But at least we're keeping the forum politics free. Thank goodness for that.

What's that old saw about opionions are like ???? Every one of us has one. Yeah. That one. I agree with practically everything that has been said here about the GS series of BMWs. Granted, everyone knows I'm a dyed in the wool BMW bigot. But like many have said here, I've owned and do own many bikes, but if I HAD to sell everything and only keep one bike, it would be my GS. The bike is built like a tank, more comfortable than any I've ever ridden, and can do far my tecnically difficult stuff than I ever will want to, be it high speed twisties or single track. It's only downfall is the difficulty in picking it back up off the ground.

My GS is hanging in there with just shy of 140K on it. 20-30K of that has been in absolutely abusive conditions, mostly not on pavement, or worse, on pavement that has horribly deteriorated leaving potholes with jagged edges. Heck, I had so much confience in it that I intentionally chose to use it on my world trip (vice buying a new one) knowing it had over 100K on it already, That is confidence in a machine.

So in response to ToddZ, I'd love to host a dual sport (big bike) teaching weekend here at our place in WV. I've never taken a off-road course, but have some experience, Eddy has and could share, along with Andrew or anyone else who would like to offer teaching and advice. I've a few beds inside, 130+ acres outside and miles of gravel, dual track and single track here on the property. Then we could move off-property and be into the GW Forest in 20 minutes with lots of FS roads and easy water crossings. I would be happy to host it, and spend the entire weekend helping people learn and try new techniques under controlled conditions. No macho BS. No large groups of people standing with cameras waiting to post to Facebook.

I think ToddZ's idea is great, there is a need to help each other out, and it shouldn't cost $300 for a weekend. The only problem is finding a date that is convenient to all. Or heck, finding several dates.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #18252
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Geez, go away for a couple of days and I open the forum up to find everyone's panties in a bunch. But at least we're keeping the forum politics free. Thank goodness for that.

I think ToddZ's idea is great, there is a need to help each other out, and it shouldn't cost $300 for a weekend. The only problem is finding a date that is convenient to all. Or heck, finding several dates.

jeff
+2 for that weekend...I also want to talk to you about the safety of riding to CanCun!!! I have a NASM in CanCun in January and would love to ride intead of fly. WHY??? some might ask...BECAUSE I CAN!!! Anyway enough with the excitement...

I'm in 100% as long as I don't have my daughter does not have volleyball that weekend.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #18253
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Mobile App

Does anyone know the mobile app for iPhones for adv forums & others that makes this easier?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #18254
tg4360
Misfit Toy

Oddometer: 91
Iphone forum access

Search "Tapatalk"
tg4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #18255
toddzacker
NO FILTER