ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #18256
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,064
Name change thread: Make your request here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534156
Old 11-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #18257
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Geez, go away for a couple of days and I open the forum up to find everyone's panties in a bunch. But at least we're keeping the forum politics free. Thank goodness for that.

What's that old saw about opionions are like ???? Every one of us has one. Yeah. That one. I agree with practically everything that has been said here about the GS series of BMWs. Granted, everyone knows I'm a dyed in the wool BMW bigot. But like many have said here, I've owned and do own many bikes, but if I HAD to sell everything and only keep one bike, it would be my GS. The bike is built like a tank, more comfortable than any I've ever ridden, and can do far my tecnically difficult stuff than I ever will want to, be it high speed twisties or single track. It's only downfall is the difficulty in picking it back up off the ground.

My GS is hanging in there with just shy of 140K on it. 20-30K of that has been in absolutely abusive conditions, mostly not on pavement, or worse, on pavement that has horribly deteriorated leaving potholes with jagged edges. Heck, I had so much confience in it that I intentionally chose to use it on my world trip (vice buying a new one) knowing it had over 100K on it already, That is confidence in a machine.

So in response to ToddZ, I'd love to host a dual sport (big bike) teaching weekend here at our place in WV. I've never taken a off-road course, but have some experience, Eddy has and could share, along with Andrew or anyone else who would like to offer teaching and advice. I've a few beds inside, 130+ acres outside and miles of gravel, dual track and single track here on the property. Then we could move off-property and be into the GW Forest in 20 minutes with lots of FS roads and easy water crossings. I would be happy to host it, and spend the entire weekend helping people learn and try new techniques under controlled conditions. No macho BS. No large groups of people standing with cameras waiting to post to Facebook.

I think ToddZ's idea is great, there is a need to help each other out, and it shouldn't cost $300 for a weekend. The only problem is finding a date that is convenient to all. Or heck, finding several dates.

jeff
I'd be in on this without a doubt! Your spot of WV is a lovely place to visit.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #18258
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Name change thread: Make your request here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534156
Thanks Eddy...I will try it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #18259
tg4360
Misfit Toy

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
Got it thanks...now I feel like I'm part of the group...well better not push it

Oh you'll know you are part of the group when you start getting your full share of abuse.

I get mine from Jeff when he insists on talking politics with me.........
tg4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #18260
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,473
Quote:

Okay...who wants to put some dirt under there tires and start logging some serious time on the trails?..

Just looking at this weekends nice weather forecast and thinking about getting up in the hills for at least one day. anybody want to go?
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #18261
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,064
Quote:
I'd love to host a dual sport (big bike) teaching weekend here at our place in WV. (I'm in...working on something for this, will chime in later...)

it shouldn't cost $300 for a weekend. (I WISH! It's more like $600+/DAY!)
Several of us here have either been to RawHyde, the BMW PC (Performance Center) or other schools for formal training. I would be happy to show anyone what they taught me, share the training DVD with you and tell you what you are supposed to do in certain situations. Doing it all beautifully is a different story. Going to these programs only means that you spent a bunch of money, not that you are a crazy good GS rider...that was proven a few weeks ago when I got humbled in the finals of the GS Trophy. There is a plethora of excellent, very experienced riders in this area who could share their skills.

Jeff, I am also bouncing around an idea that I could discuss in a PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #18262
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by tg4360 View Post
Oh you'll know you are part of the group when you start getting your full share of abuse.

I get mine from Jeff when he insists on talking politics with me.........
The exchange is most amusing to onlookers though.

Quote:
I'd love to host a dual sport (big bike) teaching weekend here at our place in WV. [/IMG]
I've said it before and I'll say it again: IN! And DIBs!

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #18263
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Quote:
Okay...who wants to put some dirt under there tires and start logging some serious time on the trails?
May-be. Would Nicole be able to join along? If so, I might be up for some easy dirt with her while the guys tackle other fun, if she'd be up for same. (Still haven't found a DR200 FS in the area, but then again I forget to look... is there any way to get those craigslist tools to email you new ads based on your search terms?)

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
Old 11-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #18264
toddzacker
NO FILTER

I will not even say anything about this weekend to her...or maybe Sunday...she is in class all day Saturday & if I said you wanted to go she would try to skip class...not good for the patients. I will say something about Sunday if you want...

Old 11-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #18265
toddzacker
NO FILTER

New addition to the family...before anyone says something, after the last couple days of chatter about the big bikes...this is my sons

Old 11-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #18266
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Hey where can I get an ADV sticker? I have the RVA riders sticker.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #18267
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Quote:
Hey where can I get an ADV sticker?
I've got a couple Richmond ADV stickers left. Chuck may also have some still. Will bring what I have with me next ride. And thanks for putting Nicole and I in touch!

Old 11-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #18268
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
I've got a couple Richmond ADV stickers left. Chuck may also have some still. Will bring what I have with me next ride. And thanks for putting Nicole and I in touch!
Cool...Nicole needs one of the Richmond ADV stickers. I need the other ADV sticker. Thanks

Old 11-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #18269
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Cool...Nicole needs one of the Richmond ADV stickers. I need the other ADV sticker. Thanks
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257578

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #18270
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
I'm in for any dual sport riding camps and btw, I love my GSA too...on and off road.