ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #18511
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,983
Hey VAC glad to hear it wasn't worse, heal up soon!
Old 11-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #18512
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post

WHY, WHY, WHY in the heck they left the CrossTourer in Europe, South Africa and Australia....I have NO freaking idea! It would have done well against the GS, Tenere and Tiger!
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ch&um=1&itbs=1
They have enough trouble selling the VFR here. Why do you think they should bring a jacked up ADV version here to sell?
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #18513
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
Tell the wife and Dixie I say Hi.
Will do. You know your always welcome in this part of the state too, so plan a trip some time.
2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #18514
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
Okay Kids!!! I need ideas for the windingest(not a word) dirt roads between Richmond and Williamsburg. I need to put as much of that under my belt as I can.

I will say it. I was embarrassed by my lack of ability on the gravel roads this weekend. Next time out I do not want people waiting on me cause of my lack of ability. I hear Jeff is one of the dirt road kings.

Jeff- Any advise for a nOOb that needs to pick up the pace on the loose gravel roads?

Thanks guys...
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #18515
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Found mention of the scene we came across on 56 Sat. RIP.
Virginia State Police are investigating a single crash that claimed the life of a motorcyclist Saturday, Nov. 10, 2012, at approximately 2:36 p.m. Trooper J.C. Wagner was called to the scene of Route 56 about 1.5 miles east of Route 626 in Nelson County.A 2011 Suzuki 750CC motorcycle was traveling on Route 56 when the driver ran off the road in a curve, proceeded through a fence and struck a tree.
The motorcycle operator, Brian S. Brooks, 34, of Troy, Va., died at the scene. He was wearing his safety helmet.
Speed is considered a factor in the crash. Alcohol is not involved.
ok enough of this crashing/dying stuff, need a happy story. stat.
That's just west of the railroad crossing at Wingina and is one of the easier sections of Rte 56. There's only 2 or 3 very moderate kinks in that section of Rte 56 and has one of the few legal passing zones in it. He must have been really flying to crash there.
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #18516
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
...I'm off Fri-Tue. Anyone interested in showing me how to use this thing? The only place I know of to shoot is the range on Hwy 60. PM me if you have any ideas or want to help. Thanks
I haven't bought a membership to Black Creek, yet, but would be willing to go to either Old Dominion or Colonial to shake the rust off...

I'm off 11/17 thru 11/25...will be looking for rides, shooting, RTE's etc etc....Friday 11/16 is kinda up in the air right now...

On a side note, CCDR's has opened thier annual membership drive for the upcoming year which includes the rest of 2012.....more MX track then trails but its so close to me that I could get some seat time that does not require a truck....
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #18517
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
I will say it. I was embarrassed by my lack of ability on the gravel roads this weekend. Next time out I do not want people waiting on me cause of my lack of ability. I hear Jeff is one of the dirt road kings.

Jeff- Any advise for a nOOb that needs to pick up the pace on the loose gravel roads?

Thanks guys...
Todd, I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.... It all has to do with confidence, and the complete suspension of the mind's need to have your tires in full contact with the ground at all times. After that, it's easy.

Confidence comes from experience. Experience comes from making bad decisions. So I am a very CONFIDENT rider. Now tell me who is filling your ears with lies about me so I can take them off my Christmas card list.

But seriously, PM me with your phone number and we can talk. There are lots of dirt roads south of the James and north of 460. We can go play all day long if you wish.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom

Jeff Munn screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 03:21 PM
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #18518
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 904
Off road riding

Todd
For the first time out on the big GS you did great. Mike and Dan set a good pace and you were never far behind. Like Jeff said, with a little more practice and a little more confidence you will be at the head of the group soon. Dan was on a DR650 and mike was on his KTM. We were on big GS's with 80/20 street tires. IMHO .... If you put a set of 50/50 tires or a set of TKC's on the bike your learning curve and confidence will go straight up. Traction, traction, traction. You have the power. You have the experience. A good set of tires will build the confidence. Now practice, practice, practice. Lets go!
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #18519
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Mike, I'm glad your doing well. Dan, thanks for the info regarding last weekend. Seems like bad things happen in three's? That's three issues, lets think positive and everyone be careful out there.

New toy .... I have a new Glock 19 I need to play with. I'm off Fri-Tue. Anyone interested in showing me how to use this thing? The only place I know of to shoot is the range on Hwy 60. PM me if you have any ideas or want to help.
Thanks
Chuck, pm sent

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #18520
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Just remember why we ride. If you can't, this should help.
Haha! that's awesome.

It reminds me of something I saw recently about "meth labs"

Q: How do you identify a meth lab?

use this handy guide..

ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #18521
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
That's just west of the railroad crossing at Wingina and is one of the easier sections of Rte 56. There's only 2 or 3 very moderate kinks in that section of Rte 56 and has one of the few legal passing zones in it. He must have been really flying to crash there.
Mickey, I know you know this curve.. Heading west, it's a fairly serious right hand curve on the top of a hill. It seems to me like 270 of a circle and it's very round like a circle and there is almost always gravel on it. also the inside of the circle is a grassy clearing, outside - trees.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #18522
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,928
to VaCommuter

Mike,
Like others have said, I wish you the best for a speedy recovery. All things considered, it sounds like you had the best possible outcome in a horrible situation. ATGATT, training, and being in shape all contributed to you still being here today. Way to go man.

And as other have offered. I have a fairly nice shop. A big lift. Climate control. Lots of tools. A killer sound system, and frig's (plural) full of libations. If you have work to do on the bike, you have all the time you need in my shop. Heck, I can even give you a key for when we're gone over Thanksgiving. Please think about it.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #18523
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
They have enough trouble selling the VFR here. Why do you think they should bring a jacked up ADV version here to sell?
The problem with the VFR is that it doesn't know what it wants to be...an uncomfortable sport tourer or a long, fat, but fast, sportbike. They did have a heck of a time selling them. When they came out they were something like $16,500. Honda House was clearing them out six months ago for $9999! I still didn't want one. The CrossTourer is different b/c it's comfy, and looks cool! (even though it's a flagrant copy of a GS)

Dan, "Meth Lab" made me laugh at out! LOL!

Todd, The simple answer is good tires and saddle time...just like on a race track, RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE and don't ride over your head. It takes time to feel comfortable with 550 pounds of GS moving around under you at 50 with no input on your part! I still think it's scary, but have gotten more used to it. If I go weeks without doing it, I am much slower for the first hour or two until I get my balls back. You'll be there soon...Wait until you encounter SAND!

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 05:00 PM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #18524
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Mickey, I know you know this curve.. Heading west, it's a fairly serious right hand curve on the top of a hill. It seems to me like 270 of a circle and it's very round like a circle and there is almost always gravel on it. also the inside of the circle is a grassy clearing, outside - trees.
Ok ... that makes more sense. That's one I always assume there's going to be gravel there. Headed west it's a right hand turn that leads into a series of high speed snaky turns. That's a fun section but like alot of Rte 56 you have to have your "A" game on and pay attention. There are no do overs on Rte 56. I'm headed out Rte 56 Friday.
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #18525
Jersey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Today did coal rd, 56, Alhambra,Tower rd, panther falls,brp to 64. 56 west side of brp near the top has that shit they put down on roads for snow, hard to see low sided there last week minor scuffs but the rest of 56 east brp pretty clean today.
Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote