ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #18586
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
If you are needing to work on bikes, come on down to my place. I've got a POS BMW GS which I know you love to work on!

Really, had something happen today on the lift the likes of which I've never seen. Have been having a soft front brake for a while. Rode yesterday for a couple of hours with Zacker, and it kept pumping up, then getting slightly soft. I figured it was time to bleed the front brakes and renew the brake fluid.

So Tony dropped by and we did just that. Bled, brought them up to rock hard pressure, perfect. Tony leaves. An hour later I walk by the GS (still on the lift) and hit the front brakes just to check. Immediately I had an inch sag on full grab. Damn. WTF? So I squeeze it hard a couple of times to get the pressure up, and hold it to see if it will go soft again. Pffsst! The lever hits the bar and brake fluid is shooting across the lift and the floor. Double Damn. The front brake line literally blew out just past the banjo where it comes forward from the ABS system. Never have I seen that happen, but good that it was on the lift.

Quick call to Morton's and a $69.54 brake line is on order. Expensive, but 8 years and 140K of abuse, I think it did pretty well. Perhaps maybe it caught a thrown rock on a trail somewhere and it just weakened the line at that one point over time. Oh well.

Do your due diliegence on maintenance!

jeff
Glad if finally failed while still on the lift. Have done a couple brake lines that were totally fooked. Fortunately, they were leaking and puking fluid when they got there, so easy to to assess and fix.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #18587
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Next up was to change the scope from the M1A to an AR with a 7.62x39 upper.

An AR that shoots 7.62x39? I didn't know you could do that.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #18588
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:

Do your due diliegence on maintenance!

jeff
Check this out Jeff...

Click on the photo to get to the thread.

There's quite a few threads around ADV with OEM brake line failure on the GS's. Your doesn't happen to be a 2001 does it? Jim Von Baden seems to say something a bit cryptic concerning 2001 models.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...

Boon Booni screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 02:04 PM
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #18589
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Was there any sign of the accident? Which direction the rider was traveling?

He was heading East and ran off the road about half way through the turn, through a barbed wire fence and hit a tree. I found the right side mirror from the fairing laying in the woods. I chose not to post the picture. He must have been cooking it and target fixated when he saw the gravel. There were flare remains on the roadside approaching from the west. It was very sobering studying the accident site. Maybe it will prevent others from making the same mistake.
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #18590
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Yup.

http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm...ategory_id=308

Had this one for several years and finally got a lower built up for it. Very accurate.

I got the flat top so my options were many for optics, etc.

EDIT: I also got a couple of lowers labeled "Multi-Cal," but have found that those tagged 5.56 work just fine. Only issue I have is with a Timney trigger group I got. It doesn't have enough grunt to reliably fire the 7.62 rounds.... even with their heavier hammer and spring, and an enhanced firing pin. A std. DPMS or CMMG 5.56 trigger group works fine. Visa-versa with the Timney and a std. 5.56 upper; works fine. Those a re a couple of issues I've been working out with my several trips to the range.

Guy Young screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 03:32 PM
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #18591
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,162
Did you do that to be able to shoot cheaper ammo or was there something you like about 7.62 v 308 or 5.56?

Quote:
Yup.

http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm...ategory_id=308

Had this one for several years and finally got a lower built up for it. Very accurate.

I got the flat top so my options were many for optics, etc.

EDIT: I also got a couple of lowers labeled "Multi-Cal," but have found that those tagged 5.56 work just fine. Only issue I have is with a Timney trigger group I got. It doesn't have enough grunt to reliably fire the 7.62 rounds.... even with their heavier hammer and spring, and an enhanced firing pin. A std. DPMS or CMMG 5.56 trigger group works fine. Visa-versa with the Timney and a std. 5.56 upper; works fine. Those a re a couple of issues I've been working out with my several trips to the range.

B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #18592
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Did you do that to be able to shoot cheaper ammo or was there something you like about 7.62 v 308 or 5.56?
Kinda, plus I have a bunch of it. Also have an AK variant that uses the same thing.

Do have a .308 upper too. Just waiting for the lower to come in.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #18593
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 855
Rides

Mickey .... glad you found the spot. If you think it was an eerie sight this weekend think what the four of us felt riding up to it right after it happened. Im glad its behind us. The four of us also ate at the Mountain View Market. Three of us had the Club and I think Mike ordered something similar to yours with the "works". Nice place.

Jeff .... wish I knew you needed something from Morton's. Linda and I stopped by on the way home from Woodbridge today.

Guy ...... Sorry I missed you Friday. JHVA had a family emergency so I ended up riding over to CSA where I broke in the new G19. Very nice weapon. I was very happy with the patterns at 15, 20 and 25 feet. Im still interested in a laser sight.

Brenda .... any ideas about tomorrow?
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #18594
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Mickey .... glad you found the spot. If you think it was an eerie sight this weekend think what the four of us felt riding up to it right after it happened. Im glad its behind us. The four of us also ate at the Mountain View Market. Three of us had the Club and I think Mike ordered something similar to yours with the "works". Nice place.

Jeff .... wish I knew you needed something from Morton's. Linda and I stopped by on the way home from Woodbridge today.

Guy ...... Sorry I missed you Friday. JHVA had a family emergency so I ended up riding over to CSA where I broke in the new G19. Very nice weapon. I was very happy with the patterns at 15, 20 and 25 feet. Im still interested in a laser sight.

Brenda .... any ideas about tomorrow?
Good deal. John asked if I could carry you to Black Creek as a guest, but I knew early that day I would be pre-occupied.

Do you have a gen 3 or gen 4 Model 19? I'm a fan of Crimson Trace Laser Sights, so that is what I would recommend. Have them on two of mine, the 1911 and The Judge.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #18595
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,935
Todd, thanks for having us out for a little riding today. While I really enjoyed tooling around on the WR, I kind of wish I had brought the vstrom today. The terrain was mild enough that I could of gotten a better feel for it off pavement without worrying about the terrain turning to bad.

Brenda, hope you made it home OK. Also we were not speeding too bad on 64. I was watching the GPS and we were running 5 over or so most of the way. Hopefully your GPS just needs a good charge. Pull the battery out and make sure the contacts are not dirty, then connect it to your PC via USB to eliminate the power circuit on the bike as the problem.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #18596
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 855
G19

It's a G19 Gen 3. I looked at a couple laser sights at CSA but I'm looking for something more low profile. They also had a couple flash like type adapters but nothing jumped out at me. CSA was very impressive. Nice facility.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #18597
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 653
@ Todd, thanks +2. Picked up a few good tips, enjoyed the terrain, and happy to have finally met Nicole!

@ Jeremy, good idea re: GPS problem solving. Will do!

@ Chuck (et al.). Do I have ideas about tomorrow, why yes, yes I do. After spending the last hour warming back up after the ride home this evening, and in view of my 7:30am roll-out to make the 11am show-up time tomorrow, I'm going to take the car and enjoy the heated seat! Seriously though, no point in your departing at cold a.m. just to hurry up and wait a few hours if we are going to coordinate on the plane. Feel free to depart at a more civilized hour, for an ETA a bit later in the afternoon -- if you text me your approx. ETA, I can drag heels if necessary to try to get on the same plane.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #18598
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
It's a G19 Gen 3. I looked at a couple laser sights at CSA but I'm looking for something more low profile. They also had a couple flash like type adapters but nothing jumped out at me. CSA was very impressive. Nice facility.
http://www.crimsontrace.com/products...istols/01-2430

Old 11-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #18599
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Quote:
Yup..
Quote:
...Do your due diligence on maintenance!

Wow, chatter is happening....been looking seriously at the 7.62x39 AR variants

Rock River Arms LAR

Speaking of maintenance...today I spent time checking my tire pressure

Its a bitch when the tupper-ware has to come off along with the crash bars etc just to re-wire the heated gear....
I have decided the power can no longer be attached directly to the battery because the leads keep breaking...
battery seems to be moving too much...while I was this far I might as well..........
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #18600
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,203
Well went to osuckies near the regal at short pump this evening. Prices cheap but sushi not so good maybe it was a bad night.
Hey Mike while you are at it I need you to check my tire pressure and valves
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote