ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 05:14 AM   #18676
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Just a heads up to those in Richmond. If you or anyone you know is interested in a very nice SV650 mine is for sale. Help a fellow rider get back into the adventure lifestyle! I'm itching to get a bike that I can meet up with some of you on.

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthr...292&highlight=

Good luck. Nice pic on 501 over the James.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:49 AM   #18677
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,098
Damn, that SV would get me into trouble! I am reconsidering the sale of my GS and using the $$$ I have saved up to buy something tiny, light and fun like this SV...My wife and friends have all told me I'm crazy to sell a '05 with $7000 in farkles only to buy a '11 or '12 and put a bunch on $$$ into that one!

Happy Thanksgiving, we had our big meal last night. Now I have four days to do NOTHING but rest, watch football, ride, nap, eat leftovers, change rear tire on DRZ, maybe rake a few leaves and play with kids!
Old 11-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #18678
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,321
Bird is in the roaster!!

Here's wishing ya'll a safe, and very Happy Thanksgiving!!

Guy
PS - don't burn down the house if you are deep frying your bird!!! :-))

Old 11-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #18679
schlitz
the slow one

Oddometer: 105
Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #18680
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,321
Where the hell is the turkey baster when you need it?

Don't think I carried it out to the garage.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #18681
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
[/IMG]
Good luck. Nice pic on 501 over the James.
Good eye! Such an awesome road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Damn, that SV would get me into trouble! I am reconsidering the sale of my GS and using the $$$ I have saved up to buy something tiny, light and fun like this SV...My wife and friends have all told me I'm crazy to sell a '05 with $7000 in farkles only to buy a '11 or '12 and put a bunch on $$$ into that one!

Happy Thanksgiving, we had our big meal last night. Now I have four days to do NOTHING but rest, watch football, ride, nap, eat leftovers, change rear tire on DRZ, maybe rake a few leaves and play with kids!
Do it! Come test ride mine. It will make the decision that much easier for you!
burtonrider3889 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #18682
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post

If you do sell it, I still think it will be a record for the longest you've held on to one.

@Burton be careful if Eddy calls you. He only buys when he gets a real good deal. Maybe you should talk trade + $ to Eddy.
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #18683
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 904
Happy Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Enjoy the day, eat well and give everyone around you a big hug.

The airports are all empty today ..... a very unusual sight for Chicago. I guess it's the calm before the busiest travel day of the year ....... tomorrow.

United delivered our entire crew a Thanksgiving dinner directly to our gate. Do you know how hard it's going to be to stay awake on the next flight ??
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #18684
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
If you do sell it, I still think it will be a record for the longest you've held on to one.

@Burton be careful if Eddy calls you. He only buys when he gets a real good deal. Maybe you should talk trade + $ to Eddy.
If he wants to trade the drz... I'm wanting either a drz400 or a wr250r. Thoughts between the two?
Old 11-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #18685
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:
If he wants to trade the drz... I'm wanting either a drz400 or a wr250r. Thoughts between the two?
What kind of riding? Either way, pretty close call. Surpringly- sounds like the wr might make a better road bike from reading adv posts on the two.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #18686
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
What kind of riding? Either way, pretty close call. Surpringly- sounds like the wr might make a better road bike from reading adv posts on the two.
Well if I sell the SV it will be my only bike for a while. Eventually I'd like to have the dual sport and get a Street Triple R as well so I have another bike to track and take on street rides. My bike is strictly for fun though. I don't commute on it ever. It's just my hobby and passion, and I miss being able to ride off road. If the WR is truly better on the street like people say then that should be the obvious choice since I'm sure the WR is MUCH better off road too. Until I can afford two bikes I will use it for street rides and dirt rides though. I'm sure it wont be nearly as fun on the road as the SV is, but at least I get to ride on road and off. I'm stuck with street only on the SV, even though it is an amazing bike.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #18687
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,017
Quote:
Well if I sell the SV it will be my only bike for a while. Eventually I'd like to have the dual sport and get a Street Triple R as well so I have another bike to track and take on street rides. My bike is strictly for fun though. I don't commute on it ever. It's just my hobby and passion, and I miss being able to ride off road. If the WR is truly better on the street like people say then that should be the obvious choice since I'm sure the WR is MUCH better off road too. Until I can afford two bikes I will use it for street rides and dirt rides though. I'm sure it wont be nearly as fun on the road as the SV is, but at least I get to ride on road and off. I'm stuck with street only on the SV, even though it is an amazing bike.
The WR is a pretty great bike. I geared mine with 14/50 and it is geared down enough for trails but will run 80mph (GPS reading). The thing limiting is not the gearing but wind drag. HP wise I'd say they are just a little better than a Ninja 250. The Ninja is better on the highway though due to much lower wind drag. I've done several 300 mile days on the WR including plenty of highway. It doesn't have enough power to hold 70 up Afton Mountain but it is close. It is happiest around 55. Around town it is a blast. The leg room is better than my DL650.

I have not ridden a DRZ but I'd say the real difference that you will notice is the missing 6th gear and what I assume is lower output from the stator. I've run a jacket and gloves off the WR. Both bikes are probably similar off road, I think the WR would fair better on road as an only bike. A WR is harder to find and a little more expensive.

jgiacobbe screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 07:38 PM Reason: spelling mistake last instead of blast
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #18688
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
The WR is a pretty great bike. I geared mine with 14/50 and it is geared down enough for trails but will run 80mph (GPS reading). The thing limiting is not the gearing but wind drag. HP wise I'd say they are just a little better than a Ninja 250. The Ninja is better on the highway though due to much lower wind drag. I've done several 300 mile days on the WR including plenty of highway. It doesn't have enough power to hold 70 up Afton Mountain but it is close. It is happiest around 55. Around town it is a blast. The leg room is better than my DL650.

I have not ridden a DRZ but I'd say the real difference that you will notice is the missing 6th gear and what I assume is lower output from the stator. I've run a jacket and gloves off the WR. Both bikes are probably similar off road, I think the WR would fair better on road as an only bike. A WR is harder to find and a little more expensive.
Great feedback. Thank you. I would love to ride one at some point. I've ridden a drz and Hondas new 250, but not the Yamaha.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:25 AM   #18689
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,506
Anybody riding today?
Old 11-23-2012, 05:35 AM   #18690
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 545
There was talk of RTE to Dickey's BBQ pit in front of Martins then a Ride in the Woods (RIW) behind Martins.

I am definitely up for that.

How does 11:30 work at Dickey's?

Ric
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote