ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 05:11 AM   #18796
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
I've heard people call it (knobbyish front + road biased rear) a "mullet". So my bike has a mullet. I hereby name it Joe DRt.

That's Great!!! My bike needs a mullet!!! Although I guess its kind of in reverse, party in the front business in the back.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:36 AM   #18797
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
Toddzacker,

Jeff is 100% spot on with the tourance tkc combo recommendation. I used to run that combo on my V-Strom and will be going that way again on the GS. An interesting aspect of that set-up is your front and rear will both wear at the same rate, so at about 10k +/- you will need both.

Shoe Creek is very do-able on a GS, and honestly isn't all that bad. If you want to give it a try I would recommend starting with a few days over at the newly found "training area" here in town. I would also highly recommend waiting until the creeks drop in the summer and riding with a partner. I was being stupid when I tried it for the first time, 1 it was spring and the creeks where up, 2 I rode it alone, 3 my rear tourance was completely bald.

Anytime you want to give the training area a go on the GS just let me know, its a hoot out there!! Only thing keeping away this weekend is the absence of a skid plate, courtesy of last weekend.
After I wear the TKC rear I was planning on trying the recommendation of Jeff on TKC front & Tourance on the rear.

I am planning on the training area Saturday for sure & maybe Friday a little. I have all the parts & pieces for the stock skid plate if you would like to use it & them I get you by. I will be in town Wednesday & Friday if you want me to bring it up. Let me know its just collecting dust.

On Shoe Creek, would a dry late fallow a reasonable run? Before to much snow & to cold of temps? If I feel comfortable after this weekend, I would like to run up and do a little more challenging stuff Dec 7-9, weather permitting.
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:56 AM   #18798
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,036
Todd,

I think I am going to wait until I get a new skid plate before going back out there. A broken case on a Yamaha at the last Cat Herders Campout has got me spooked.

I would stay away from Shoe Creek until this Spring if I were you. The stuff out at the "training area" is plenty challenging.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:51 AM   #18799
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,463
How did I live without making one of these before?

USB Mini (GPS) and Micro (Phone) fast charging from either USB adaptor or 12V socket.

I suppose I could have added a switch to toggle between fast charging and data mode, but I think simple is better for this. It's awesome. I'll never not have the right cable. Well, unless I lose it, but I still do have the trident 3-way charger I made a few years ago. It's a linear regulator, though, so not nearly as efficient as a the buck converter on this one and doesn't have USB charging.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #18800
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post

USB Mini (GPS) and Micro (Phone) fast charging from either USB adaptor or 12V socket.

I suppose I could have added a switch to toggle between fast charging and data mode, but I think simple is better for this. It's awesome. I'll never not have the right cable. Well, unless I lose it, but I still do have the trident 3-way charger I made a few years ago. It's a linear regulator, though, so not nearly as efficient as a the buck converter on this one and doesn't have USB charging.
Are you taking Ambien again? j/k

Actually looks pretty cool. Only question is why bother with the separate 12v cig plug. I have a 12v to USB plugs that I use to power my GPS via a USB cable as it is. All I have to do now is have the right cable and I am good to swap.

I do like the idea of having a single USB cable with both ends and configured for fast charge though. I might have to google what to do to make one. I know you posted it before. One of my grips is my GPS spending a minute trying to make a USB data connection when I plug it in. Disconnecting the data pins would take care of that i think.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #18801
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post

Nice.

Only comment is why not heatshrink instead of electrical tape? Would have made for a neater job and a heckofalot more durable.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #18802
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Are you taking Ambien again? j/k

Actually looks pretty cool. Only question is why bother with the separate 12v cig plug. I have a 12v to USB plugs that I use to power my GPS via a USB cable as it is. All I have to do now is have the right cable and I am good to swap.
That plug will output about double the charge than most 12V/usb plugs. I have one too, but it lives in my car or it would get lost. The whole purpose of this is that it's a single, all-in-one unit.
Temazepam these days. Makes me a lot more groggy in the morning, and I'm completely dependent on it (no chance of sleep without it), but no more waking up with a knife in my bed either, so I'm happy with that. Only issue is that it does take a long time to sedate me, and I do best avoiding people during that hour or so. I'm not very inhibited on what I'll say to people after taking it, and they don't always appreciate that. Except the ones who know it's sometimes used as a truth serum, and need some information from me.

I do like the idea of having a single USB cable with both ends and configured for fast charge though. I might have to google what to do to make one. I know you posted it before. One of my grips is my GPS spending a minute trying to make a USB data connection when I plug it in. Disconnecting the data pins would take care of that i think.[/QUOTE]

No, you don't disconnect the data pins. You connect them together. White and Green get connected so that the GPS recognizes that it is not plugged into a computer and will pull over an amp of juice out ("fast charge"). If the data pins aren't connected, the GPS thinks it might be connected to a computer, and drawing that much current from a usb port on a computer can damage it, so even if it does go out of "data mode" it will be in "slow charge" mode. On larger displays, this also limits the screen brightness to less than 10%, making it pretty useless other than at night.
The same thing goes for cell phones. My phone will even tell me that it's charging really slowly if I don't use the right cable.
(Most AC-USB adapters will short the pins on the charger, so you can use a data cable with no problem.) Some older ones leave them open.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #18803
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Nice.

Only comment is why not heatshrink instead of electrical tape? Would have made for a neater job and a heckofalot more durable.

I spliced into the wires on one side, rather than cut them, so there's that. On the other side, I did cut them, but then soldered them together before I remembered to put on the heatshrink. I did have a roll of it on my workstation. I'll probably go back and redo it when I have the time.

This wasn't really what I've been working on all night. I was actually making a dual constant current source for running LED strings with varying input voltages and # of LEDs.
Came out well, runs up to 7 LEDs at 18mA on each transistor with up to 16V supply. It's not as temperature stable as I'd like, but it's good enough.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #18804
BlueNun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26

'Sorry I missed you guys on Sunday, Saturday was Fun on the YZ, riding with a broken clutch cable definitely improves your cornering speeds. And I was able to clear all those logs....cause I couldn't STOP. Jeff, Dave and I wound up riding out near Charles City on some TIGHT VCHSS style woods course with friends. Lots of logs, stumps, roots and trees 24" apart....Jeff rode the Snot outta his DRZ. Dave and I were cheating on our 2 Strokes.

The important thing is...... I Won !! It only cost me eight stiches in my leg.....DOH ! No worries, everybody knows Bumbles Bounce ! Let's do it again soon.

Cheers,

Bobb
BlueNun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #18805
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNun View Post

'Sorry I missed you guys on Sunday, Saturday was Fun on the YZ, riding with a broken clutch cable definitely improves your cornering speeds. And I was able to clear all those logs....cause I couldn't STOP. Jeff, Dave and I wound up riding out near Charles City on some TIGHT VCHSS style woods course with friends. Lots of logs, stumps, roots and trees 24" apart....Jeff rode the Snot outta his DRZ. Dave and I were cheating on our 2 Strokes.

The important thing is...... I Won !! It only cost me eight stiches in my leg.....DOH ! No worries, everybody knows Bumbles Bounce ! Let's do it again soon.

Cheers,

Bobb

Old 11-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #18806
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
So yesterday on the way home I remembered the thing I didn't like about the Shinko 244. You run out of tread if you lean to far. From the dirt on the tires, I could see I came within 1/4 inch of the edge of the tread on the front just riding home on Parham from Martins to Regency. Not like I was pushing it. I've seen you ride, you would find the edge. The 700s allow for much more lean angle. The TW302 on the back looked like I had stood up straight the whole way home. On the other hand it could just be I need air in the front tire.
good to know on the 244's. Yeah, I'll probably just stick with the 700/705 combo. Seems like the best compromise for my one bike situation. Fine for fartin around in the woods and still good for long day on road. If we're going to get racy offroad - the best tires in the world won't do it for me. It's too much bike.

Thinking we needs us some clapped out kdx's to run in the vchss sportsman/oldtimers class, then we can really get out there and break some clavicles with Bob!
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #18807
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
...the way it looks on his Avatar though I'm still the nOOb on the GS..
Then again... maybe yer not ;)
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #18808
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNun View Post

Cheers,

Bobb

MMmmmmm stitches......always fun!!

bet it is muddy back at mud mart today!!!
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #18809
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
MMmmmmm stitches......always fun!!

bet it is muddy back at mud mart today!!!
Hopefully it dries up by Friday or I'm gonna be a dirty boy...then Nicole will have to bath me. Actually now that I think about it...I hope it muddy as hell!!!
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #18810
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,620
Nobody welcomed the Noob/lurker known as btblueskies......

Welcome...join the locals at a Friday RTE or at the training grounds if you like....

***Edit*** Todd actually did....but he's from Williamsburg so it doesn't count

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
Welcome btblueskies!!!
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"

Michhub screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 03:26 PM
Michhub is online now   Reply With Quote