ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #18886
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
Rode to the training grounds today. First was going to ride the WR but when I went to start it, I heard a click/pop and then no light and no starty. Started up the DL and road over to the little spot where people park their trucks back there. Met BTBblueskies and his buddy and another guy on a blue KLR named George. George at least had been back there before, so I left them to it. Realized the 1st gear on the DL feels like 3rd on the WR. I don't have any inclination to ride it on rougher than dirt roads.

Spent the rest of the day cleaning up stuff around the garage. Here shortly I'll go tear into the WR to figure out why it wouldn't start. If I can then I might be up for the training grounds tomorrow.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #18887
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
...Mike- Nice buy on the boots, are those the Adventure Goretex? If so that is an awesome buy if so...I just order a pair for Nicole & I Wednesday...I'm embarrassed to say not that cheap FO-SHO...
Truth be told they are from Germany by a seller named biker-land.de....so tack on another $39 for shipping but several
Inmates on ADV have posted no issues ordering from them so I went for it...after all they are a $500 retail boot.......

Curious
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #18888
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Anything going on Sunday?

I haven't been able to make it out to ride with you guys yet because I'm always working on the weekends. I know you guys did some riding today, but since I have a rare Sunday off I was hoping some of you might still be out getting dirty tomorrow.

Let me know!
bastardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #18889
StorckWhip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Hello folks of Richmond area, I'm a noob from Williamsburg and, after having a look over at the Hampton Roads forum (nice people, it seems), I figured I'd introduce myself here. I bought a SuperTenere this summer and have been loving it. I figured my wife might ride more with me if I got rid of my CBR. I was right. It has come as a bit of a surprise to me, but I love finding new dirt roads. I've been doing some exploring and in my explorations have found myself to be woefully unprepared for anything but easy dirt roads. To remedy this, I searched out dirt riding schools and found that, short of driving to SC, I'd be out of luck. Happily, last week, I happened upon a guy locally (Bob White) who has the most amazing deal. A 35 minute drive and my best cycling buddy, my wife, and I were all astride 125 dirtbikes. So, I spent like three hours creating huge blisters on my hands and giant smiles inside my helmet. I feel like I learned more this afternoon than I have in the past 20,000 street miles. I also crashed twice as many times as I have in the last 100K on the road. It appears that it is a 'more the merrier' type of thing so if anybody's interested, I'm game for going back sometime soon.
StorckWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #18890
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
I'll be able to swing by from 1 to 2p tomorrow.. had a great time out today :)
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #18891
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Her Sidi boots are on order. We ordered them Wednesday. She has motor cross boots, but does not like the look. After this she will always wear boots!!! Her calf is gonna have a bruise and she said right after it,"I should be wearing my boots." I think she learned the easy & not so hard way.
Been there. When I first got a look at the recommended sort of boots, I thought "man boots, not going to happen." Changed my tune pretty quick when I found my riding would extend to offroad, in the cold rain no less. Glad to see she's got some good boots coming!

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #18892
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by StorckWhip View Post
Hello folks of Richmond area, I'm a noob from Williamsburg and, after having a look over at the Hampton Roads forum (nice people, it seems), I figured I'd introduce myself here. I bought a SuperTenere this summer and have been loving it. I figured my wife might ride more with me if I got rid of my CBR. I was right. It has come as a bit of a surprise to me, but I love finding new dirt roads. I've been doing some exploring and in my explorations have found myself to be woefully unprepared for anything but easy dirt roads. To remedy this, I searched out dirt riding schools and found that, short of driving to SC, I'd be out of luck. Happily, last week, I happened upon a guy locally (Bob White) who has the most amazing deal. A 35 minute drive and my best cycling buddy, my wife, and I were all astride 125 dirtbikes. So, I spent like three hours creating huge blisters on my hands and giant smiles inside my helmet. I feel like I learned more this afternoon than I have in the past 20,000 street miles. I also crashed twice as many times as I have in the last 100K on the road. It appears that it is a 'more the merrier' type of thing so if anybody's interested, I'm game for going back sometime soon.
Welcome StorckWhip! There's 4 or 5 of us in the Williamsburg area. We have some dirt in upper James City County and also not far from West Point.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #18893
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Also, can someone tell me where exactly you guys went riding today? I met with one of your crew today at work (he was coming to wash the mud off his Vstrom) and he told me it was near the Martin's in Forest Hill if I remember correctly. I'm trying to find it on google maps so that I can check it out tomorrow. Can anyone pinpoint it for me on the map? I'd like to go check out the area tomorrow myself even if nobody else is out riding.

Thanks all!

edit: Nevermind, I definitely found it. So if you're reading this and will be free tomorrow afternoon, come ride with me! I've been meaning to meet up with you guys for months now.

-Mikey

bastardbiker screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 05:39 PM
bastardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #18894
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 571
1971 Honda CLA350

Hey Guys,

My neighbor has a 1971 Honda CLA350 he wants to get rid of. I am looking at it tomorrow. Can someone give me an idea of what one is worth in different conditions or if it even worth my time? Is this a decent bike or a dime a dozen etc. My son wants it to redo and putts around on. I think that would be great for the road for him(it will keep him off an R6 or R1 he wants)...
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #18895
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
I'll be able to swing by from 1 to 2p tomorrow.. had a great time out today :)
So I diagnosed my no starry problem on my WR as a loose connection at the battery. I'd good for heading out tomorrow. So I take it 1PM would be good.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #18896
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Who has the best prices for Heidenau tires for the 12GS? Jersey Mark and I need to order a set.
RevZilla and Bike Bandit are both around $320 a set, delivered.
Got mine from RevZilla, they arrived in a day.Front ($134) and Rear ($178)= $312 total and free shipping. Love 'em!
Old 12-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #18897
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey Guys,

My neighbor has a 1971 Honda CLA350 he wants to get rid of. I am looking at it tomorrow. Can someone give me an idea of what one is worth in different conditions or if it even worth my time? Is this a decent bike or a dime a dozen etc. My son wants it to redo and putts around on. I think that would be great for the road for him(it will keep him off an R6 or R1 he wants)...
Todd, I sold a 1975 CL360 last year that was in good running condition and titled, no dents or scratches for $1100. Not a dime a dozen especially if it's nice shape. I wish I hadn't sold mine.

jh

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
Old 12-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #18898
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
Got mine from RevZilla, they arrived in a day.Front ($134) and Rear ($178)= $312 total and free shipping. Love 'em!
Great price Greg! I ordered mine here Dual Sport Warehouse and ended up paying $338 total with shipping.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
Old 12-02-2012, 06:48 AM   #18899
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
This may be a dumb question, but is riding your motorcycle in the powhatan wildlife management area allowed? I rode past it the other day off old Buckingham road and it looked like some cool dirt roads. I know they use it for hunting and hiking and things like that. Has anyone ever seen this?
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #18900
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
This may be a dumb question, but is riding your motorcycle in the powhatan wildlife management area allowed? I rode past it the other day off old Buckingham road and it looked like some cool dirt roads. I know they use it for hunting and hiking and things like that. Has anyone ever seen this?
This link should help: http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...s/wmarules.pdf and this one: http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/access-permit/

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster