ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #18916
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
That was fun. It was crazy busy but once in the woods we hardly saw anyone...
I almost turned around and went home after waiting behind traffic to cross the tracks. Really not bad at all though.

BastardB, I was amazed at how well you were doing on that ninja.. Impressive.

Early in that first loop, when we'd pass through a tight spot I'd think - uh-oh he's gonna be screwed here.. And you kept showing up. Wasn't long before I stopped thinking that.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #18917
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
You did a hell of a job with that little ninja...I feel like I was cheating with a full on dirt bike...if you had
a bit more ground clearance you would have been unstoppable...knobbies are over rated apparently

It was probably Dan but, at one point we were referred to as 'sophisticated bikers' by that dude

Jeremy, did all those trucks & quads chase you off?

Great weather today
Waited a bit and watched 2 trucks leave and 6 more show up. Rode home and then took the DL out to Goochland for a couple of hours. I need to take the seat of the WR and reset my speedo healer. Appearrently it lost it's mind due to my bad battery connection yesterday. I know that a lot of speedometers are a little optimistic but there is no way I was going 140mph on Parham on a little 250 and just keeping up with traffic.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #18918
wvridgerider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Yinz of you from the Pittsburgh area, might enjoy this video just put up on FB by Rick Sebak (I'm a huge fan), and have a lot of his DVDs about the area.

Hope you enjoy it.

Had to watch it all as I am a Pittsburgher. Thanks
wvridgerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #18919
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Thanks guys. I hope to be a little bit better prepared next time. Could be wednesday of this week...

A titled DRZ400S just popped up on CL for 1800. Sure wish I had a couple grand kickin around. A recent move kinda tapped out the majority my savings. Ah well, the more practice I get on the ninja the better off I'll be when I get a proper dual sport. Still makes me a bit sad to miss this deal though. They're usually closer to $3000.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/3450189832.html
bastardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #18920
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,665
Wait a minute...is that Pete's bike ........maybe not, it doesn't have the "laugh while you can monkey boy" sticker
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #18921
JaySee
Mofo

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Wait a minute...is that Pete's bike ........maybe not, it doesn't have the "laugh while you can monkey boy" sticker
I think it is. Quinton #. Looks like he pulled a few stickers. Must have gotten that DR650 after all.

'06 SV650
'08 KTM300xcw
'05 DRZ400s
JaySee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #18922
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
Great ride today out by West Point...thanks to dljockey for showing us all the dirt roads and leading a great day.

Buckrut looked good for his first time out on dirt..

Splitlaneslikemooses- what a great pace you set out there!!! Brother thanks for the power washing...

It was an awesome day and I have officially ran the "Mud Road" in West Point. I think following Ryan down it, we set a record pace...I don't think we touch half the mud at that speed.

Resting after the first run down the Mud Road...Ryan high fiving Mike..

Mike & Shannon taking pics after second run down the Mud Road.

There you go Chuck, Dan, & Mike...is that dirty enough for you? I'm guessing not...
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #18923
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySee View Post
I think it is. Quinton #. Looks like he pulled a few stickers. Must have gotten that DR650 after all.
He said last week he might swap it for his bros dr650.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #18924
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
Toddzacker, Splitlaneslikemoses, and Buckrut. Thanks for a great ride today. Todd and Ryan can surely whip those big bikes around! Mike, great ride, especially for your first time on gravel/dirt, and congrats on your free bike wash!

dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #18925
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,506
Quote:
I won't sell to anyone I know.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #18926
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Thanks guys. I hope to be a little bit better prepared next time. Could be wednesday of this week...

A titled DRZ400S just popped up on CL for 1800. Sure wish I had a couple grand kickin around. A recent move kinda tapped out the majority my savings. Ah well, the more practice I get on the ninja the better off I'll be when I get a proper dual sport. Still makes me a bit sad to miss this deal though. They're usually closer to $3000.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/3450189832.html
If I wasn't so set on a wr250r, I would be snatching this up right now.
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #18927
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
The Often Imitated Never Duplicated Dljockey Signature One Handed Backwards Over the Shoulder Shot.

nice!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #18928
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,506
Quote:
Toddzacker, Splitlaneslikemoses, and Buckrut. Thanks for a great ride today. Todd and Ryan can surely whip those big bikes around! Mike, great ride, especially for your first time on gravel/dirt, and congrats on your free bike wash!
Very neat shot! Looks like you're all coming to get us!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #18929
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 663

Kicked around there the last few days. The revelations kept coming!!! In yesterday's on-road class I learned about countersteering and counterbalancing for the first time, as well as got straight on what 'kiss the mirror' is all about. On the one hand, I was friggin giddy at the new-to-me ways to handle a bike. On the other, I wondered how is it that I've been riding a year w/o them? Today's off-road class toasted my clutch arm, but the upside is that gave me a few opportunities to *finally* learn how to pick up an F650-sized bike in a snap. I also switched from a lower-suspension bike to a non-lowered bike and found it MUCH easier to handle on whoops, ruts, etc.; it also opened up line choices which was a plus. Foot dabs (not part of the class of course) strike me as a bit dicier on the taller bike though. Oh, and Todd, happy to report that I managed to pull off the leg over seat to ride side saddle thing (wax on, wax off ). Long/short -- was introduced to loads of good stuff... now just got to remember some of it...

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #18930
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Shannon,

That is a great shot...I wish one of those behind the back shots would have been great...Thanks again for a great day, you can lead a ride for me any day
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote