ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #18976
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,067
Lasers in the eye thread heyejack

[lasers in the eye thread highjack start]

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Spent the entire day from 8AM-4PM at the Eye Surgeon office for my free consult for Lasik. Don't qualify for Lasik due to beginning cataracts, so they fitted me with mono vision contacts so I could see how it would be if I had the surgery for one near and distance sighted eyes. After 2 hours I could not focus my near eye for reading. The MD said women adapt to the mono vision better then men. Then back to MD office to change out mono vision for two contacts for distance. Much better and could see like I had never seen before even with glasses but I would need to use readers/cheaters for reading up close etc. There was a $700 off for Lasik and they will honor that for the cataract surgery but there is a hefty cost for this surgery since it has to be in a surgical unit. $6300 for both eyes. Operation takes 8-9 minutes and they do one eye first then the next one 2 weeks later. The Doc in Williamsburg has done over 10,000 procedures in the past 10 years. Have a end of Jan appt but have plenty of time to change my mind.
I was scheduled to have lasik at one time. Went to the free appointment and was going to be paying extra for their "computer mapped" lasik package that was supposed to allow for better correction. I don't think he noticed when I saw him discard the results of their computer mapping during the consult. All day appointment but he spent less than 5 minutes looking at the test results and talking to me. He didn't remember me from their seminar the night before, even though it was commented that I had the worst vision there by far. I figure if he is that nonchalant about my vision and shooting a laser in my eye, that I needed a better doc. Realize that a Dr who has been in business for 10 years and has performed ten thousand of these procedures must be performing 20 or more procedures a week, they are not spending much time on each one. It always makes me wonder if the procedures are just that quick and easy or are they rolling out a one size fits all solution and you hope that size is a decent fit. I don't know but maybe Lasik is that simple of a procedure but I am a bit paranoid about keeping my vision. I'm already extremely nearsighted and mildly colorblind, I don't need somebody in a rush to make things worse.

My father had also had Lasik performed by the same practice several years ago. They gave him a Valium to calm him before the procedure and so that he didn't flinch when they cut the flap in the eye. At the time that part was still done with a blade (more recently, they changed to doing this part with the laser). They didn't wait even 5 minutes for the Valium to take effect before they sent him to the next room and proceeded to cut the flap. On the first eye, in stead of cutting a flap, they cut a piece of his cornea off because he flinched from the blade. They did get it put back, but he ended up with more scaring and had to get PRK on top of the Lasik to get things corrected. They did acknowledge the F-up and extended all the followup care at no cost though.

After thinking about that and the lack of time/attention being paid by that particular Dr, I decided to not get Lasik and bought my first motorcycle instead. I do have plans though to revisit the whole Lasik thing this Spring though but I'm going to do a lot of research first and go to several of the seminars and free consults until I find a practice I am comfortable with.

[lasers in the eye thread highjack end]
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #18977
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Well, while we're on the subject ...

I had Lasik done in 2000. And I even have a video to prove it. (Shot through the microscope!).

I had serious astigmatism, wore glasses since the age of four. And wanted more than anything to not have to wear them ever again. RK was transitioning to Lasik, so I decided to have a go at it. There were several docs doing the surgery in NoVa at the time, but I selected one who had racked up the most experience. He was part of the group that had pioneered it in the DC area.

Now, many folks have said that when they looked at the clock immediately afterward, they saw it clearly. I didn't even see the clock. My vision was seriously fooked. And it felt like someone had sandpapered my eyeballs. The problem was that the doc, who was also assembly lining patients through, didn't take the time to explain my particular surgery. Or perhaps I was too nervous to listen. In any case, they purposely over-corrected me, knowing my football shaped eyes would settle in to the correct shape after healing. Well, I found that little bit of news only after a day of being nearly blind.

The good news is that within a week, I was 20/20. And have stayed that way ever since. I never got the "halo" thing many do, although I did get the "dry eye" thing. And as luck would have it, I now need readers for anything close.

So ... would I do it again? Absolutely! Best thing I've ever done. Not having to deal with glasses/contacts is simply wonderful. In too many ways to tell. Was I scared. Yep. Sure was.

Now, if they could just come up with a "Lasik" for hearing loss, I'll be golden. :-)

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #18978
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
I had Lasik done in 2000. And I even have a video to prove it. (Shot through the microscope!).

I had serious astigmatism, wore glasses since the age of four. And wanted more than anything to not have to wear them ever again. RK was transitioning to Lasik, so I decided to have a go at it. There were several docs doing the surgery in NoVa at the time, but I selected one who had racked up the most experience. He was part of the group that had pioneered it in the DC area.

Now, many folks have said that when they looked at the clock immediately afterward, they saw it clearly. I didn't even see the clock. My vision was seriously fooked. And it felt like someone had sandpapered my eyeballs. The problem was that the doc, who was also assembly lining patients through, didn't take the time to explain my particular surgery. Or perhaps I was too nervous to listen. In any case, they purposely over-corrected me, knowing my football shaped eyes would settle in to the correct shape after healing. Well, I found that little bit of news only after a day of being nearly blind.

The good news is that within a week, I was 20/20. And have stayed that way ever since. I never got the "halo" thing many do, although I did get the "dry eye" thing. And as luck would have it, I now need readers for anything close.

So ... would I do it again? Absolutely! Best thing I've ever done. Not having to deal with glasses/contacts is simply wonderful. In too many ways to tell. Was I scared. Yep. Sure was.

Now, if they could just come up with a "Lasik" for hearing loss, I'll be golden. :-)
Thanks Rick. Glad to read happy stories on the subject. My wife had the PRK done a few years ago and loves it altho' she needs 2x readers for up close.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #18979
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
I'm looking at that, and asking myself why we (local ADVriders) don't set up our own school. We have many with the skills and training already, the land, and the wherewithall. All we would lack would be the big corporate logo, and an "accomplished professional", but we have many "accomplished" amateurs among us.

I look at that price, add the cost of travel, lodging and food, and you're on the high side of $1700 for a long weekend. If anyone wants to come to my place in WV, stay in a beautiful log cabin, be fed incredibly, ride on road, off road, and have one on one instruction for the entire weekend, I'll do it for a $500 donation to our historic preservation fund. I've got a CRF150F for dirt instruction, then you can ride your own for the DS ride.

jeff
Sounds like a great opportunity, Jeff! I'd be interested in Spring/Summer time frame.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
Old 12-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #18980
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,960
Jeff, think before you type!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Sounds like a great opportunity, Jeff! I'd be interested in Spring/Summer time frame.
Oh dear lord. I was kinda half joking. But you know what? Maybe Pendleton County needs a motorcycle friendly B&B for these kind of weekends. I'll honestly look into that with the city hall when we go over there next.

For clarification, the property is on the National Register of Historic Places with the National Park Service, and we're trying to get it listed on the WV state Endangered Historic Properties listing. We're going to be putting thousands into the place in the next couple of years so future generations will be able to see what a true 1800's single family homestead really was like, hence my reference to "donations".

If you're really bored at work, here is a link to a description of the place.
jeff

[end shameless self-promotion]

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #18981
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Oh dear lord. I was kinda half joking. But you know what? Maybe Pendleton County needs a motorcycle friendly B&B for these kind of weekends. I'll honestly look into that with the city hall when we go over there next.

For clarification, the property is on the National Register of Historic Places with the National Park Service, and we're trying to get it listed on the WV state Endangered Historic Properties listing. We're going to be putting thousands into the place in the next couple of years so future generations will be able to see what a true 1800's single family homestead really was like, hence my reference to "donations".

jeff

[end shameless self-promotion]
Damn, I still haven't heard back from the guy in NYC willing to sell me the Brooklyn Bridge for $500...

PM returned, Jeff.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
Old 12-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #18982
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
Lasik

Karen had the Lasik eye surgery by Dr. Kenneth Lipstock in the Fall of 1998 after our second son was born. She had had to wear glasses since about 4 years of age, had severe astigmatism and was extremely near sighted(about 20:200). Could not see any thing past about 15 inches before the surgery. She also had originally been told she was not a candidiate for RK by her Opthalmologist-Dr. Lipstock. Then on one of her annual eye exams he told her he had been working with the doctor that created the Lasik proceedure and he felt she was a good candidate. I believe Dr. Lipstock was the first or one of the first to be doing the Lasik proceedure in VA. It worked perfectly for her and right after the proceedure they asked her what time was it and she looked up and saw the clock on the wall (that she previously would not have beeb able to distinguish as a clock) and said it's 11:15. Wow!!! It was a medical miracle in my opinion. She wears readers for up close but otherwise needs no glasses. That was very liberating for her after having worn glasses and contacts for 30 years. We can't say enough good things about Dr. Lipstock. Just my thougts.

DirtDoctor screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 12:18 PM
DirtDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #18983
BDRichmond
Adv'er

Oddometer: 63
Thumb Lasik

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
Karen had the Lasik eye surgery by Dr. Kenneth Lipstock...It was a medical miracle in my opinion...We can't say enough good things about Dr. Lipstock.
I usually just lurk but I have to second the kudos for Dr. Lipstock. He did my lasik about six years ago. Even though I have a phobia about anything near my eyes and it was not a fun procedure, it was the best thing I have ever done for myself. Dr. Lipstock took his time and his staff was great. I definitely don't miss the glasses! I have not had any problems from the lasik ever since it was done and would definitely do it again if I had to...

Bernie
BDRichmond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #18984
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,027
Quote:

jeff
good luck with the deer. they hate anything prickly so use something like that as the first line of defense. you can find info on line about what to plant to make them avoid you.

we were at massanutten and battled them all the time they love roses little deer breath mints

these damn suburban deer like tomatoes and cucumbers I'm going to find that website again two years running now, just one or two tomatoes.

as for the lasik procedure, my 82 year old dad had it done 4 or 5 years ago. life long astigmatism. it's weird seeing him without glasses . he does need readers.
IBA#10787

We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #18985
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
The Often Imitated Never Duplicated Dljockey Signature One Handed Backwards Over the Shoulder Shot.

nice!
How about the no look behind the back shot by the infamous dljockey!!!
This is splittinglaneslikemoses...

Then he got me...

Nice job Shannon!!!
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #18986
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,520
More LASIK testimonials

My wife and I had LASIK done over 10 years ago. I was 20/400 at the time, and my wife had an astigmatism problem. Both of us had worn glasses most of our lives. Big, thick, Coke bottle lenses.

My eyes settled in at a 20/20 average, with one eye better, and one eye less. Consequently, I do not need glasses for most reading.

Jeanne, OTOH, has eagle-eye distance vision, but needs glasses for just about all reading.

Both of us think it's great. Jeanne had hers done at the VA Eye Institute. I had mine done by a trained monkey for a cheap introductory fee. Amazing.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #18987
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,694
LUNCH for RTE...4 stars on Yelp...

Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #18988
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
LUNCH for RTE...4 stars on Yelp...
We just discovered that place! Great breakfast and dinners too! The only issue is that it's small and fills up fast. So we'd have to be pretty tight with the 11:30 timeline.

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #18989
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,979
anyone need some Wolfman Expedition panniers?

yellow color, used but good condition. these are the waterproof rolltops, the best available.

$150/set

PM if interested.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #18990
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
anyone need some Wolfman Expedition panniers?

yellow color, used but good condition. these are the waterproof rolltops, the best available.

$150/set

PM if interested.
Dibs, I'll take them...PM sent.