ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 03:09 AM   #19081
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
It's an age thing (your day is coming)..... and I've earned it Just realized last night that I'll be hitting 69 next month - so -

Get off my fukin' lawn!!

Guy the last time I was in a 69 it was fun...can't understand all your anger? Unless you have an over bit & it tastes like shit...

Oooooh!!! You said your turning 69, well now I understand...half way to 138...not bad brother...
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #19082
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
It's an age thing (your day is coming)..... and I've earned it Just realized last night that I'll be hitting 69 next month - so -

Get off my fukin' lawn!!

Guy, I'm right there with you, but I don't have the excuse of "piles", although I've been told I'm full of something more than once...

For me, my irritability always seems to peak this time of year. Wonder why? Could it be the season? The lack of comfortable riding weather which reduces the cathartic effect that riding has on our souls? The limited daylight hours? The profit driven societal pressures to be nice and buy "stuff" to show people you love them? Grrr. Where are the commercials geared towards women that say if you REALLY love your man, you say it with a new motorcycle? That's blatant sexual discrimination in advertising if you ask me......

For me, the worst day in December is the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year. But then again, I always celebrate it because the days just keep getting longer and longer after that! Guess I'm a born again Druid at heart.......

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #19083
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
Speaking of old, check out this Old Norton!

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #19084
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
Amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
For me, my irritability always seems to peak this time of year. Wonder why? Could it be the season? The lack of comfortable riding weather which reduces the cathartic effect that riding has on our souls? The limited daylight hours? The profit driven societal pressures to be nice and buy "stuff" to show people you love them? Grrr. Where are the commercials geared towards women that say if you REALLY love your man, you say it with a new motorcycle? That's blatant sexual discrimination in advertising if you ask me......

For me, the worst day in December is the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year. But then again, I always celebrate it because the days just keep getting longer and longer after that! Guess I'm a born again Druid at heart.......

jeff
dljocky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #19085
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
For me, my irritability always seems to peak this time of year. Wonder why? Could it be the season? The lack of comfortable riding weather which reduces the cathartic effect that riding has on our souls? The limited daylight hours? ...For me, the worst day in December is the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year. But then again, I always celebrate it because the days just keep getting longer and longer after that! Guess I'm a born again Druid at heart.......
jeff
I'm usually pretty good until first week of January. November weather usually not too bad, then December has all the party/holiday distractions plus some time off.

But the two month slog of cold and dark that is Jan-Feb - nothing but
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #19086
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,176
I guess my best Eastwood didn't come through:

From Gran Torino.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #19087
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
Riding to the mountains

Quote:
Guy, I'm right there with you, but I don't have the excuse of "piles", although I've been told I'm full of something more than once...

jeff
The weather is looking too good to sit around and I've really got the itch to ride. I've got a new set of tires and just had all the valves reset for the first time in 66,000 miles. All the valves were still in spec with only one valve at the tight end of the spec but I had them all set at the middle to upper end. It seems to run sweeter than ever if that's possible. I'm riding out to the mountains tomorrow or Saturday .

MADSTROM screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 12:13 PM
MADSTROM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #19088
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,475
Winter is building time. Both for motorcycles and airplanes.

Until the skiing gets good, anyway.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #19089
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 803
Sat ride

Mickey,
If I can get the GS back together on Fri I may be up for a ride Sat. Hmmmmm. New tires and a tune up on the V-Strom?? You may have to wait for me at the end of the road.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #19090
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post

and don't forget logging. Winter is prime time for my continuing war on white pine, the kudzu of trees. When the sap is down and surrounding trees are free of leaves, it is perfect for felling the bastards. In fact, I just finished servicing the Stihl and I'm headed out to listen to the most beautiful sound in the forest; the heavy krrrummmp of a big white pine slamming onto the forest floor.

Please don't judge me harshly for my little fetish, but I'm a hardwood kind guy. 50 years ago there weren't any pines on our place, now it is 50% pine. I'm just trying to bring back the natural hardwood forest. oh, and maybe keeping open our long distance ranges too.....

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom

Jeff Munn screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 11:47 AM
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #19091
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post

I didn't know you were a plane guy.

I am not but my dad and my son are.

What are you building?
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #19092
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Ok, so as I've been saying I'm trying to pick up a WR250R. I've been having a super hard time finding one close by. I found one that is a 6 hour drive away that I think is a good deal. What do you guys think of a 2012 WR250R with 8000 miles for $3500? No mods, bone stock, immaculate condition supposedly.
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #19093
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Mickey,
If I can get the GS back together on Fri I may be up for a ride Sat. Hmmmmm. New tires and a tune up on the V-Strom?? You may have to wait for me at the end of the road.
Pencil me in for Saturday if it happens..

ddlewis screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 01:21 PM
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #19094
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Ok, so as I've been saying I'm trying to pick up a WR250R. I've been having a super hard time finding one close by. I found one that is a 6 hour drive away that I think is a good deal. What do you guys think of a 2012 WR250R with 8000 miles for $3500? No mods, bone stock, immaculate condition supposedly.
I paid $3300 for my 2008 this spring and drove to NJ to pick it up. That is a pretty good price. Usually they go for $4500 or better in newish condition stock.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #19095
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 1,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
That's a steal, buy it or I might! (I wouldn't do that to you). You could enjoy that for a while and then flip it for profit. I would negotiate $200 off for your time, trouble and fuel costs. I might be in for a ride on Sat as well. Both bikes are overdue for some washing and TLC.