ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #19111
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
& where is the RTE address please might make it if my 11:30 meeting is short...

Here is the address... I plan to be there about 11:40 ish.

4028 Cox Road, Glen Allen, Virginia 23060

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Mama+...98682&t=h&z=16
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #19112
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
LOL!

Yes, I remember Bruce. Also worked with him for a couple of years at the old United Power.

Shoot, that was one of my "short" rides.

IIRC, I believe he bought a Connie at one point.

If you happen to see him again, please tell him I said, "Hi!"

Guy

Sure will. I see him all the time, he's my best old buddy. We grew up together and he still lives right up the road.

About 15 years ago he did have a 95 Connie for a while, inspired by you. For the past few years he's been on an ST13. In May he hit a deer on 360 out near skin quarter which totaled that bike.. I mentioned it on this thread, but probably didn't give his name.. He wasn't hurt outside bumps/bruises but hasn't biked up again yet. Currently looking at a triumph scrambler and of course I'm egging him on as best as I can.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #19113
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Sure will. I see him all the time, he's my best old buddy. We grew up together and he still lives right up the road.

About 15 years ago he did have a 95 Connie for a while, inspired by you. For the past few years he's been on an ST13. In May he hit a deer on 360 out near skin quarter which totaled that bike.. I mentioned it on this thread, but probably didn't give his name.. He wasn't hurt outside bumps/bruises but hasn't biked up again yet. Currently looking at a triumph scrambler and of course I'm egging him on as best as I can.
Amazing how small this world really is.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #19114
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Strange Question on Wrenching

I was contemplating something last night. I'm pretty good when it comes to bolt-on stuff, but I'm not so great when it comes to actual repair/deep maintenance. Does anyone know if there a class/school/etc around Richmond that does motorcycle repair? I think it would be fun to spend a semester tearing into someone elses bike. LOL!

I looked at J Sarge, but they only do automotive. Google wasn't my friend either. Didn't know if any of ya'll had heard of something like that. I'm contemplating picking up a cheap project bike, but would like to know the basic skills are in place first.

"Iím lost. Iíve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #19115
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,698
Mama Cucina's RTE

Good lunch today, thanks Buddy! We strolled in at 11:45 as folks were already starting to fill the place up.
They asked how many, I said 6-8, "Oh, do you have a reservation?"....nope....they had a resi for a party of 9 already.
Anyway, they seated us and we were soon surrounded by shirts & ties a touch fancier then our usual choices..
I'm not used to wine lists...

Me, The Smith's, Todd, Carl, Greg & Rick were in attendance. A few of us got the large Ravioli with two sauces.

Topics discussed, Tires: Heidenau K60 Scout's, Boots: Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex (mine came in from Biker-Land.de )
They also have an Ebay store fit like a glove right out of the box...saved over $130...
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #19116
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Todd?

Sorry for the brain fart ... but was it Todd who I was talking to about a Pelican Case?

If so, I've got a black 1450 collecting dust in the garage. I bought it for the XR, but took it off when I sold it. Barely used. Still has all the foam in it. No scratches. It was drilled on the bottom to mount on the Honda, but those holes could be re-used or filled pretty easily.

Not sure who you were asking for, but if you want it, I'd let it go for $75. I paid $109 for it, shipped.

Let me know.

DIMENSIONS:
INSIDE: 14-13/16" x 10-3/8" x 6" (37.6 cm x 26.3 cm x 15.2 cm)
OUTSIDE: 16" x 13" x 6-7/8" (40.6 cm x 33 cm x 17.4 cm)

"Iím lost. Iíve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
Old 12-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #19117
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
I was contemplating something last night. I'm pretty good when it comes to bolt-on stuff, but I'm not so great when it comes to actual repair/deep maintenance. Does anyone know if there a class/school/etc around Richmond that does motorcycle repair? I think it would be fun to spend a semester tearing into someone elses bike. LOL!

I looked at J Sarge, but they only do automotive. Google wasn't my friend either. Didn't know if any of ya'll had heard of something like that. I'm contemplating picking up a cheap project bike, but would like to know the basic skills are in place first.

In the grand scheme of things, I was actually considering putting a class together to do just that - teach the basics.

Still am, but just have not had the time to put a curriculum together. I taught several classes at Central Virginia Community College when I lived in Lynchburg (Motorcycle Repair and Maint, and Small engine Repair) on a continuing education basis in the evenings. They asked me to take over their automotive repair classes, but I turned it down (absolutely HATE working on cars).

If I can get some breathing room, I'll try and get my collective together to make it happen. The loft can easily be turned into a classroom. Lord knows I have enough tools on the ground floor to be able to rip stuff apart and play.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #19118
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Good lunch today, thanks Buddy! We strolled in at 11:45 as folks were already starting to fill the place up.
They asked how many, I said 6-8, "Oh, do you have a reservation?"....nope....they had a resi for a party of 9 already.
Anyway, they seated us and we were soon surrounded by shirts & ties a touch fancier then our usual choices..
I'm not used to wine lists...

Me, The Smith's, Todd, Carl, Greg & Rick were in attendance. A few of us got the large Ravioli with two sauces.

Topics discussed, Tires: Heidenau K60 Scout's, Boots: Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex (mine came in from Biker-Land.de )
They also have an Ebay store fit like a glove right out of the box...saved over $130...
I got buried working on a Royal Star, but some of that looks like food I could actually eat (teeth issue).

Gonna be interesting this evening. Daughter and I are taking my wife out to eat for her birthday (past Tuesday - turned 60), and Ruby Tuesday was her selection. If I get out of there without losing any choppers, it'll be a great night.

By copy to Greg: need to get up with you for a consultation. The time is near.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #19119
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 845
Guy,
I'd also be interested in something like this if you get a class going.

Quote:
In the grand scheme of things, I was actually considering putting a class together to do just that - teach the basics.

Still am, but just have not had the time to put a curriculum together. I taught several classes at Central Virginia Community College when I lived in Lynchburg (Motorcycle Repair and Maint, and Small engine Repair) on a continuing education basis in the evenings. They asked me to take over their automotive repair classes, but I turned it down (absolutely HATE working on cars).

If I can get some breathing room, I'll try and get my collective together to make it happen. The loft can easily be turned into a classroom. Lord knows I have enough tools on the ground floor to be able to rip stuff apart and play.

dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #19120
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Quote:
By copy to Greg: need to get up with you for a consultation. The time is near.
Hey, I just thought of something. We could have a RTWGGTTD. (Ride To Watch Guy Go To The Dentist). Maybe we could even help out. You know, everyone bring a favorite tool and take a tooth.

Could be fun.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #19121
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey, I just thought of something. We could have a RTWGGTTD. (Ride To Watch Guy Go To The Dentist). Maybe we could even help out. You know, everyone bring a favorite tool and take a tooth.

Could be fun.
Very funny!

Actually, I'm not laughing. In all seriousness, I could probably poke 50% of my remaining teeth out with my tongue - IF - I had the gnads to do so and didn't want to deprive my dentist of putting in that second swimming pool, or farkle for a GS.

Lord knows, and I pray that none of you ever have to go through this. The very thought of what lays before me scares me to death. If I lived in WV (like I really wanted to do), it would be an everyday occurrence and we'd all look the same.

Enough of that...........

Old 12-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #19122
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Quote:
Very funny!

Actually, I'm not laughing. In all seriousness, I could probably poke 50% of my remaining teeth out with my tongue - IF - I had the gnads to do so and didn't want to deprive my dentist of putting in that second swimming pool, or farkle for a GS.

Lord knows, and I pray that none of you ever have to go through this. The very thought of what lays before me scares me to death. If I lived in WV (like I really wanted to do), it would be an everyday occurrence and we'd all look the same.

Enough of that...........

Sorry, I certainly wasn't trying to make fun of a bad situation. Sometimes my humor goes too far.

I went through something similar a few years back, although not to this degree. I've had a long time fear/dislike of dentists (and it showed). After lots of $$ and "discomfort", I learned maintenance is better than repair.

I hope it all turns out well for you. I'm sure Greg can help with whatever questions/issues you may have. Let us know what (if anything) we can do.

- Rick

Old 12-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #19123
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry, I certainly wasn't trying to make fun of a bad situation. Sometimes my humor goes too far.

I went through something similar a few years back, although not to this degree. I've had a long time fear/dislike of dentists (and it showed). After lots of $$ and "discomfort", I learned maintenance is better than repair.

I hope it all turns out well for you. I'm sure Greg can help with whatever questions/issues you may have. Let us know what (if anything) we can do.

- Rick
No problem Rick. With my owns sick sense of humor, I can certainly appreciate what you were saying...... NOT to imply that you are "sick."

Well, maybe.......................

After my initial "quad" surgery to try and arrest the problem, I was on a meticulous maintenance routine for close to 25 years. Even with all of that, I occasionally had (painful) infections set in.... usually after a thorough procedure of the cleaning by my dentist at the time.

A few years ago (8??), I finally said fook it. I've paid all this money over the years, and for what? Gonna let nature take it's course and we'll deal with the consequences later - whatever they may be.

As anticipated, it has.... but now it's time to cross the Rubicon... and we're gonna have to move forward from here.

I have a pretty high threshold of pain, but quite frankly, the future procedure (whatever it entails) scares the shit out of me. I'll find out all of that after I talk with Greg.

In the interim, I'm going out to dinner tonight with my lovely wife and daughter. Regardless of all the other 'stuff," I'm gonna enjoy it.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #19124
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
No problem Rick. With my owns sick sense of humor, I can certainly appreciate what you were saying...... NOT to imply that you are "sick."

Well, maybe.......................

After my initial "quad" surgery to try and arrest the problem, I was on a meticulous maintenance routine for close to 25 years. Even with all of that, I occasionally had (painful) infections set in.... usually after a thorough procedure of the cleaning by my dentist at the time.

A few years ago (8??), I finally said fook it. I've paid all this money over the years, and for what? Gonna let nature take it's course and we'll deal with the consequences later - whatever they may be.

As anticipated, it has.... but now it's time to cross the Rubicon... and we're gonna have to move forward from here.

I have a pretty high threshold of pain, but quite frankly, the future procedure (whatever it entails) scares the shit out of me. I'll find out all of that after I talk with Greg.

In the interim, I'm going out to dinner tonight with my lovely wife and daughter. Regardless of all the other 'stuff," I'm gonna enjoy it.

Guy, we've chatted in pm about dental stuff and my recent dental surgery was painless. Nothing like the old days.

Maybe you can make a pair of these on your Bridgeport?

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #19125
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,154
So what are the riding plans for tomorrow?