ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #19231
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Loftus, I saw your address on the invoice. I lived three blocks away at the corner of Surrey Cres and Hampton blvd for a couple of years while I attended EVMS. It was right at the slight left hand bend in Hampton Blvd before Bazemore's. We had more than one drunk sailor miss the turn and plow his car across our front yard at 2:00 am on a Saturday night during that time. Being woken up by tractor trailers headed to the docks and vibrating my bed at 0530 twenty feet from my bed is something I don't miss at all. I later bought my first home and moved to the other side of the bridge in Colonial Place. I remember back then (circa 1998) staying up at night before Lynn and I finished grad school, stressed and thinking to myself "how in the heck am I going to pay for this house!? I'm in trouble!" LOL!

Larchmont is a very pretty area. We miss Norfolk, but all of our family and friends (except you) are up here!

It is not a bad area but I could live happily at the compound for quite a long time and never look back.

I grew up on Longwood and Bluestone and had all of ODU as my playground. . Sixty feet fron the ticket booth of Foreman field. Both sets of grands lived five blocks away.....
Old 12-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #19232
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Loftus, I saw your address on the invoice. I lived three blocks away at the corner of Surrey Cres and Hampton blvd for a couple of years while I attended EVMS. ...!
how freakin weird! I used to live right there too, 86-88, between rock bridge and magnolia on west side of Hampton blvd. little brick house, no a/c . I went to ODU in those days.

Good times
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #19233
rctr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Where is the rte?

Jimmy
Old 12-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #19234
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Well guys, wish me luck. I'll be waking up in 7 hours to leave for New York to pick up my bike. Hope all goes well. Uhaul gave me a trailer with no night time running lights so that should be interesting.

I'm looking forward to riding with some of you soon, and can't wait to get out to the training grounds I keep hearing so much about. I am so excited. I've been finding as many potential riding spots as possible up until this point.

Has anyone been out to Slades Park in Surry? Seems like it may have some good riding, but it didn't seem like there's a lot of acreage to ride.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #19235
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Well guys, wish me luck.....Has anyone been out to Slades Park in Surry?.
Sweet! Everyone likes a new ride

Slades park is ok at best, been there twice years ago....not alot there really...I'd rather do the training grounds, its free and closer....consider CCDR ...
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #19236
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 550
My son was out at the training grounds this afternoons with a friend and our Xr's. Said he had the playground all to himself.

Gonna be a mud pit after today....
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #19237
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlitz View Post
Horror stories indeed. A guy I know works at a local Kawasaki/Suzuki dealership and he's got stories for days of newbies dropping bikes while leaving the dealership parking lot.
Decades ago I watched a jack ass run a ninja 600 into a pickup truck. Totalled it with less then a tenth of a mile.

"Can you fix it I gotta ride to the beach this weekend!!!'

No ....we can't fix it....did you get insurance?
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #19238
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
Well guys, wish me luck. I'll be waking up in 7 hours to leave for New York to pick up my bike.....
Good luck. Look forward to seeing it in action. I'm with Micchub, Slades is not worth the drive.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #19239
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Good luck. Look forward to seeing it in action. I'm with Micchub, Slades is not worth the drive.
It was fun once, but doubt that I'll be going back.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #19240
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctr View Post
Where is the rte?

Jimmy
Good question.

Think Blowtoads is out.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:37 AM   #19241
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Has anyone been out to Slades Park in Surry? Seems like it may have some good riding, but it didn't seem like there's a lot of acreage to ride.
Hey anyone who is doing straight off roading next week hit me up. My son is back in town & wants to ride. Him and the guys he races with are riding an indoor track in Cleveland this weekend then heading here. Even tho slashes is close to us, he would opt out of that ride, doesn't want to have to punch so idiot in the face, for doing something stupid out there.

Training grounds are an option but would prefer that place by Berkeley plantation. We are not members but might become one if he transfer to school in VA. Let me know, and it's after 06:20 am and we are still here. Shit now I have to go pay bills!!!
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #19242
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,147
Its been at least 10 years since I have ridden at Slades. Back then it was off the chain...two way traffic, drinking, rowdiness and from what I hear, it hasn't changed much...too bad. The last season I rode there, I heard that they had to air lift a kid out of there to Norfolk General who had gone head on with either another bike or quad.
So far, I am very pleased with the Charles City Dirt Riders track. They seem very professional, it's clean, it's family friendly, no booze allowed, the older/better riders give Gabriel space on his tiny PW50 and no quads allowed. If Gabriel keeps this level of excitement up, I will do the "unlimited riding plan" route next year for $700 and buy a dedicted, hard core, motocross bike before I kill the DRZ.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #19243
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 571
Yeah, I'm not a fan of Slades. One of the last times I was there a kids ran into the side of my parked truck way away from any trails. The father beat the kid bad, it was not a good day.

I have never ridden at CCDR track out there, but it does look well kept. Can members have the occasional guest? If so I know my son would love to ride out there. I have no desire to abuse my body anymore. I know if I strapped he gear on & hopped in the saddle of a capable bike, I would not hold back and it scares me for some reason. It's just like hopping on the track at VIR.

I think I'm scared of getting sucked back in. I will stick with the big GS for now.
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #19244
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
Can members have the occasional guest?
Unfortunately, no. Strictly members only, no exceptions. $75 will get you a member sticker until 12/31/13 and then you pay $25 per rider each visit. There can only be one adult rider, any other riders must be a minor. All adult riders 18 and up need to have their own membership.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #19245
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
... I know if I strapped he gear on & hopped in the saddle of a capable bike, I would not hold back and it scares me for some reason... I will stick with the big GS for now.
Welcome to the Old, Brittle and Have to Work on Monday Club!