ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #19246
schlitz
the slow one

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
Decades ago I watched a jack ass run a ninja 600 into a pickup truck. Totalled it with less then a tenth of a mile.

"Can you fix it I gotta ride to the beach this weekend!!!'

No ....we can't fix it....did you get insurance?
Totalled in @ 500 feet huh? Wow. Oh well.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #19247
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Well guys, wish me luck. I'll be waking up in 7 hours to leave for New York to pick up my bike. Hope all goes well. Uhaul gave me a trailer with no night time running lights so that should be interesting.
Dang. This is what I get for sleeping in late. I need to go to NY too, to pick up a nice XR650L that I'm buying from an inmate. Step 1 of the 2013 TAT prep is about to happen!

Fortunately for me the guy has agreed to bring it south and meet me in southern NJ near the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #19248
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
I guess some things aren't too good to be true. Just picked her up! I'm so excited. I will need help lowering the bike in stock for as I'm way too short.

2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #19249
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
I guess some things aren't too good to be true. Just picked her up! I'm so excited. I will need help lowering the bike in stock for as I'm way too short.

Nice bike!!! Congrats!
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #19250
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
I guess some things aren't too good to be true. Just picked her up! I'm so excited...

love that new bike feeling!

Now pay attention to the road and quit looking at it in the mirror.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #19251
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,620
That looks very nice! one skid plate please....what's up with that Uhaul moto carrier, never seen one with a built in wheel chock and all....
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #19252
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Congrats! That thing is WAY too clean! Bring her home, we can fix that!
You sure do have a fascination with BLUE! Blue WRX, blue SV650 and now a blue WR250!

It's painfully S-L-O-W. Nobody wants to be seen today unless they are really hurt or sick. I ran some errands, bought all the office staff lunch at Mexico and picked up a couple gallons of Chic-Fil-A lemonade to wash it all down. The combination of a carb and fat filled lunch, all of the cookies, fudge and chocolate in the office and the lack of patients has almost gotten the best of me. I am doing "educational research" on all of the new 2013 models, scanning CL, eBay, ADV Rider and anything else I can to stay awake until 5:00. Yawn...

Woo Hoo, my 1500th post...Guy, I may catch you one day! Only 6000 to go, lol!

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 12:15 PM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #19253
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:

Nice.

Dude, it even still has the toolkit. It really has never been off road. I don't think those survive the first bump without falling off.

To lower the rear, unbolt the rear shock at the bottom. The bottom clevis and lock nut can be loosened and threaded further up the shaft to get you about an inch. Don't thread them up the shaft until the hit the rebound adjuster. It can be a real pain to get the nut loose. For the front you can just lower the triple clamps on the forks. It is still pretty tall after that though. Makes my DL feel low.

Also don't be alarmed if it seems a lot louder after you put a skid plate on. It will echo all the engine noise right up to you. Also use plenty of blue locktite or bolts will find a way to loosen.
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #19254
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Unfortunately, no. Strictly members only, no exceptions. $75 will get you a member sticker until 12/31/13 and then you pay $25 per rider each visit. There can only be one adult rider, any other riders must be a minor. All adult riders 18 and up need to have their own membership.
I paid for a $50/yr and pay $25 to ride each time etc. Haven't been over yet since just got my decal the other day. May take a lesson or two on the smaller bikes.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #19255
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
I paid for a $50/yr
Your's is a single membership ($50), Gabriel and I have a "family membership" ($75)
Old 12-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #19256
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
That looks very nice! one skid plate please....what's up with that Uhaul moto carrier, never seen one with a built in wheel chock and all....
It's an actual motorcycle trailer. It was only $15 to rent. I don't even know how they made money on the transaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Congrats! That thing is WAY too clean! Bring her home, we can fix that!
You sure do have a fascination with BLUE! Blue WRX, blue SV650 and now a blue WR250!

It's painfully S-L-O-W. Nobody wants to be seen today unless they are really hurt or sick. I ran some errands, bought all the office staff lunch at Mexico and picked up a couple gallons of Chic-Fil-A lemonade to wash it all down. The combination of a carb and fat filled lunch, all of the cookies, fudge and chocolate in the office and the lack of patients has almost gotten the best of me. I am doing "educational research" on all of the new 2013 models, scanning CL, eBay, ADV Rider and anything else I can to stay awake until 5:00. Yawn...

Woo Hoo, my 1500th post...Guy, I may catch you one day! Only 6000 to go, lol!
Yea Blue and Gold really...

I'm looking forward to dirtying her up with you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Nice.

Dude, it even still has the toolkit. It really has never been off road. I don't think those survive the first bump without falling off.

To lower the rear, unbolt the rear shock at the bottom. The bottom clevis and lock nut can be loosened and threaded further up the shaft to get you about an inch. Don't thread them up the shaft until the hit the rebound adjuster. It can be a real pain to get the nut loose. For the front you can just lower the triple clamps on the forks. It is still pretty tall after that though. Makes my DL feel low.

Also don't be alarmed if it seems a lot louder after you put a skid plate on. It will echo all the engine noise right up to you. Also use plenty of blue locktite or bolts will find a way to loosen.
I will try this by myself, but I may be asking for help from one of you guys if I fail miserably.

Also, is it okay to have the stock baffle out of the exhaust? It doesn't mess any of the fuel mapping does it? I thought I read that it's fine, but I just want to double check since he had taken it out.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
Old 12-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #19257
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
It's an actual motorcycle trailer. It was only $15 to rent. I don't even know how they made money on the transaction.

Yea Blue and Gold really...

I'm looking forward to dirtying her up with you guys.

I will try this by myself, but I may be asking for help from one of you guys if I fail miserably.

Also, is it okay to have the stock baffle out of the exhaust? It doesn't mess any of the fuel mapping does it? I thought I read that it's fine, but I just want to double check since he had taken it out.
I don't have an issue helping with the shock. I had to do the same on mine. As far as the baffle, I'd leave it in there. It won't make a difference unless you are looking to make it louder. I had a fmf, now running stock. No real difference with out header and air box mods. Stock is quieter though.

Ride stock for a bit before you look at modding it for power. You might be surprised. Also changing gearing is the biggest bang for the buck.

jgiacobbe screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 07:45 PM Reason: corrected a word spellcheck had changed.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #19258
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I don't have an issue helping with the shock. I had to do the same on mine. As far as the baffle, I'd leave it in there. It won't make a difference unless you are looking to make it louder. I had a fmf, now running stock. No real difference with out header and air box mods. Stock is quieter though.

Ride stock for a bit before you look at modding it for power. You might be surprised. Also changing gearing is the biggest bang for the buck.
Well the baffle is already out of the bike. I was just wondering if I needed to put it in for any reason.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
Old 12-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #19259
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
Well the baffle is already out of the bike. I was just wondering if I needed to put it in for any reason.
I didn't know the baffle was removable.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #19260
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
One post I read indicates that the baffle and SA are one piece. You may want to put it back. The other mods to look into are disconnecting the EXUP valve and something to do with removing a flap in the air box. Can't tell you much about those because it was already done to mine when I bought it.