ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #19261
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I didn't know the baffle was removable.
Yep, apparently. It's pretty loud with it out.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #19262
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Yep, apparently. It's pretty loud with it out.
That itself is a good reason to reinstall it. Get some sleep so you can get to the DMV and register it. I'll be able to help with the shock after Christmas. It is light enough that you should be good for street as long as you can get a toe down. Busy with family in town and needing to finish Xmas shopping until then.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:35 AM   #19263
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Well the baffle is already out of the bike. I was just wondering if I needed to put it in for any reason.
I'm with Jeremy on this. Put the baffle back one noise & two cause the bike need a little of the back pressure.

As for other mods, wait til you are completely comfortable on the bike. I love power but if you can't utilize it, it's a waste of money. 90% of riders can't out ride the bike they are on. If someone can ride your bike better & faster than you, no mods needed for power. Just learn to use the power you have for a while.

After doing a lot of research then do a few and only one at a time. This will give you a better idea of what really works with what combination. I have had a lot of experience with many different engine & suspension mods, and ALWAYS run stock first for a while.

Matter of fact I ran my last few bikes bone stock after learning to tweak the suspension & fuel mixtures a little. This was good enough for me & ran them on the track in practice & still out ran 95% of the race bikes. This is not to brag but to help you become a better rider.

Below is my sons bike, he is at Areancross practice this week with a race team & he is on a bone stock bike. Running lap times within in a quarter second of the full blown race bikes & experienced racers.

As an older guy said to me when I first had the desire to race,"There is knowing how to ride & there is knowing how to really ride, 10% bike & 90% rider. You choose which group you want to be."

With that said, enjoy the bike it's really nice, & I hope to ride with you some day.
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:43 AM   #19264
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
That itself is a good reason to reinstall it. Get some sleep so you can get to the DMV and register it. I'll be able to help with the shock after Christmas. It is light enough that you should be good for street as long as you can get a toe down. Busy with family in town and needing to finish Xmas shopping until then.
Thanks for the input. I'll throw it back in there this morning. I figured it'd be fine out since they say the bike adjusts fine when you ad an actual exhaust, but I'll put it back on just in case.

Edit: I guess it's the spark arrester. http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t5...g+stock+baffle

Thanks for the offer. I will be happy to bring the bike up to you one day after the holidays. I'll be fine with it until then. I just can't go too crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
I'm with Jeremy on this. Put the baffle back one noise & two cause the bike need a little of the back pressure.

As for other mods, wait til you are completely comfortable on the bike. I love power but if you can't utilize it, it's a waste of money. 90% of riders can't out ride the bike they are on. If someone can ride your bike better & faster than you, no mods needed for power. Just learn to use the power you have for a while.

After doing a lot of research then do a few and only one at a time. This will give you a better idea of what really works with what combination. I have had a lot of experience with many different engine & suspension mods, and ALWAYS run stock first for a while.

Matter of fact I ran my last few bikes bone stock after learning to tweak the suspension & fuel mixtures a little. This was good enough for me & ran them on the track in practice & still out ran 95% of the race bikes. This is not to brag but to help you become a better rider.

Below is my sons bike, he is at Areancross practice this week with a race team & he is on a bone stock bike. Running lap times within in a quarter second of the full blown race bikes & experienced racers.

As an older guy said to me when I first had the desire to race,"There is knowing how to ride & there is knowing how to really ride, 10% bike & 90% rider. You choose which group you want to be."

With that said, enjoy the bike it's really nice, & I hope to ride with you some day.
I'm 100% with you. I don't care about the power of the bike. I just sold the SV650. This bike will never feel remotely fast after a bike like that. This is my play bike for the woods. I am all about becoming a better rider no matter what I'm riding. I used to track the SV, and was always working on riding technique. And I'm with you on it being about the rider, considering I was running laps around some of the guys with super sports and liter bikes on the puny SV.

First track day...

2002 CR80R (SOLD)

burtonrider3889 screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 05:57 AM
Old 12-22-2012, 06:41 AM   #19265
toddzacker
NO FILTER

This is the last time a couple buddies talked me into a track day...it was a blast when you get to run a track backwards...a few surprises at 130 mph!!!
Old 12-22-2012, 07:23 AM   #19266
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,465
Quote:
...I'm 100% with you. I don't care about the power of the bike. I just sold the SV650. This bike will never feel remotely fast after a bike like that. This is my play bike for the woods...
Maybe not "fast" power-wise, but you might be surprised how fast you find yourself going with ease. I think dual sport thumpers are at least as much fun on the road as the woods. With lots of curves you can stay right in the mix with the big boys. Throw in some gravel and potholes and you are the man - all with 30 hp.

Hey look, 57 tomorrow.. just saying.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #19267
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post

Dan- how about dirt roads & mud road out by West Point? Not that muddy but still fun...& not as far as Tower Rd & those areas...even tho I would prefer to run out to the mountains...
Old 12-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #19268
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
Maybe not "fast" power-wise, but you might be surprised how fast you find yourself going with ease. I think dual sport thumpers are at least as much fun on the road as the woods. With lots of curves you can stay right in the mix with the big boys. Throw in some gravel and potholes and you are the man - all with 30 hp.

Not even 30 HP. Power is about the same as a ninja 250 but also different. Not as good on the highway because the wind drag is higher on the WR, but what feels like better acceleration to me.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:41 AM   #19269
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
Dan- how about dirt roads & mud road out by West Point? Not that muddy but still fun...& not as far as Tower Rd & those areas...even tho I would prefer to run out to the mountains...
Now you are just wanting to make me figure out how to get away tomorrow.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #19270
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Quote:
Now you are just wanting to make me figure out how to get away tomorrow.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #19271
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,641
Quote:
Yes please no family, no plans just 11 days off
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #19272
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Yea I'm trying to get out and ride somewhere. I drove to DMV this morning, and they are closed until Wednesday. Soooo since I still have my SV plate I think I'm going to throw it on and go ride still. It's officially insured so I just have to avoid getting pulled over.

Quote:
Where are these at? I'd like to look it up on Google maps.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
Old 12-22-2012, 08:31 AM   #19273
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Quote:

Where are these at? I'd like to look it up on Google maps.
Off Rt 14 in King & Queen County...Iris Rd & Tastine Rd are the ones I remember...that will get u in the general area..
Old 12-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #19274
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Off Rt 14 in King & Queen County...Iris Rd & Tastine Rd are the ones I remember...that will get u in the general area..
Looks nice. I assume they're actually roads people live off and not trails?
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
Old 12-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #19275
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Quote:
Looks nice. I assume they're actually roads people live off and not trails?
Some of the roads have people living on them, but few & far between. There are also a couple logging/fire roads out there also.