ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #19531
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
6 WEEKS!??! I must have made a wrong turn back there somewhere...Good for you. Take a trip for me will ya? I can give you a picture of myself and you can take photos of all the places I visited this year.
Well not to brag I have 8 weeks cause of carry-over. This is all bittersweet, because I'm in sales & if I actually took the time off, I would not have any business to come back to.

I fully intend on taking 6 weeks this year. I think Laurel Fork will be the first week...BWDR will definitely be another... Some family vacations in the summer & I might actually turn my phone off for a couple of them. Who am I kiddin'...I won't turn my phone off.
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #19532
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Walk away from it Todd. Lost Title isn't worth the aggravation and hassle.
Have you gone through the new AVP process? It's all done right from your home, on the internet. You just have to be patient.

I posted the VIN check website here a while back. Put it on your phone. You can check when you see the bike.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #19533
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,473

I have some time to burn but my extra cash is mostly spoken for. (TWO kids in college this year) Throw out some ideas and see what we can come up with.

I think a lot about this Blue Ridge Trail ride.. like a TAT lite.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632804
You could probably spend better part of a week to travel the whole thing, camping along the way with side trips and stopping to smell the roses.

few years out for me on an epic real TAT ride like Jeff's and also I'd like to ride the southwest eventually. Moab, copper canyon, etc. Once I get these durn kids situated - look out for the old guy on the bike!

I have my old standing dates too. 3rd week of May in Boone NC and 3rd week of Sept in Tellico Plains TN camping with some old buddies. Y'all are welcome to come along, there's always a few dual-sporters in that mix.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #19534
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
Well not to brag I have 8 weeks cause of carry-over.
That's more than the government provides.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #19535
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,650
Only a couple of weeks without riding and buying bikes and taking moto trips consumes the thought processes
I'm not immune, I've been on CL, the flea market, cyletrader, bikefinds etc etc looking for a project as therapy.
Yesterday, I was damn close to buying the Rally fairing kit for my KTM 530....

Anyway, is there a RTE tomorrow
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #19536
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Only a couple of weeks without riding and buying bikes and taking moto trips consumes the thought processes
I'm not immune, I've been on CL, the flea market, cyletrader, bikefinds etc etc looking for a project as therapy.
Yesterday, I was damn close to buying the Rally fairing kit for my KTM 530....

Anyway, is there a RTE tomorrow
Lucky for me it only makes me want to buy a heater for the garage and a few odds and ends. I got to see what a $99.99 pair of socks look and feel like. I bought a set of KLIM GTX Covert socks to deal with my non waterproof Gaerne Balance Pro boots. If I had sprung for the extra 100 when I bought them I could of had the waterproof version. Of course this way I can let my feet get wet in the warm weather. We'll see how it turns out. All I'm waiting for now is the pinlock shield for my Arai.

Instead of dreaming about project bikes and a heated garage, I should be studying for my next Cisco Certification so it can be done before warm weather returns.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #19537
jwray76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
+1 for the BRT Ride

If we plan it early enough I would love to join for the BRT ride. Haven't been on a good extended trip since 2010 and my last camping trip got washed away so I am due. I could probably swing a good 3-4 days worth. Of course this one should be pretty easy to break off from and head home at any point.
jwray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #19538
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,504
I just got a rack and panniers for my DR650. Love to join you on this!

Or, how about the Trans WV Trail? Is on this board somewhere.

Edit: I just took a look at the link to the BRTR. Damn, yo, we gotta go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post

I have some time to burn but my extra cash is mostly spoken for. (TWO kids in college this year) Throw out some ideas and see what we can come up with.

I think a lot about this Blue Ridge Trail ride.. like a TAT lite.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632804
You could probably spend better part of a week to travel the whole thing, camping along the way with side trips and stopping to smell the roses.

few years out for me on an epic real TAT ride like Jeff's and also I'd like to ride the southwest eventually. Moab, copper canyon, etc. Once I get these durn kids situated - look out for the old guy on the bike!

I have my old standing dates too. 3rd week of May in Boone NC and 3rd week of Sept in Tellico Plains TN camping with some old buddies. Y'all are welcome to come along, there's always a few dual-sporters in that mix.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #19539
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
I am planning on doing the TAT this July... planning on 2-3 weeks.
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #19540
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post

That KTM on Craigslist does not have a title. Does anyone know how difficult it would be to obtain one or has anyone had to apply for a lost title? I wonder how difficult it would be to get this plated? If its not to hard I might end up buying a warehouse to store bikes in.
I checked the VIN on that bike and it was last registered/titled in Utah on 04/05/2012. The guy says he has had it for about a year. He says he doesn't know who has the title. I called Utah and they said there are no liens on the bike. The VIN is not registered as stolen either... but that is no guarrantee.

I checked the process for registering a bike in this situation and it appears there is a huge risk. The DMV will contact the previous title holder and tell them the bike is abandon and that they should either pick it up in 15 days or forfeit the bike.

Should they want it, they can simply come take it. You loose the money you spend. Hopefully you won't get nailed if the title holders says it is stolen. You can probably point to the guy you purchased it from and he will have to answer for it, but you will likely loose your money.

So the gamble is, 1000 for a KTM that can likely be resold for 3000, if you can title it, or you loose your 1k, or you just don't try to title it and ride it as a beater.

I'd like to title it myself... you too I suppose.
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #19541
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
So let's meet and throw all the options on the table. Ride planning is one of the things I really enjoy. Call it ride foreplay if you wish.

+1 part of the fun is planning the ride

BTW, the BRP ride down to bama is a fun one. I did it in reverse, coming back from AR a few years ago. a few slab miles, then ducked into the mountain to ride the Cherohala, wiggle up to Cherokee and hit the BRP.

A couple of times, I've tried to talk wifey into spending our anniversary at the Barbers Vintage to no avail
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #19542
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,650
Jeff, the latest issue of American Motorcyclist came in the mail today and the cover had this photo of a guy and his grandson riding from coast to coast...immediately thought of your upcoming trip...

Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #19543
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
So the gamble is, 1000 for a KTM that can likely be resold for 3000, if you can title it, or you loose your 1k, or you just don't try to title it and ride it as a beater.

I'd like to title it myself... you too I suppose.
Carl-
I'm out on this one...put tires on the car today...$560 for 2 wtf!!! I guess I have to settle for this week...
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #19544
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Jeff, the latest issue of American Motorcyclist came in the mail today and the cover had this photo of a guy and his grandson riding from coast to coast...immediately thought of your upcoming trip...

When you are done with that, may I buy it from you? I'd like to read it and then give it to my nephew's family. Looks like it has great potential. We are planning on starting in Corolla, in the sand, then running west on 2 lanes until we hit the TAT proper.

IMHO if they ever finish the TAT to the ocean, they should do it to the OBX.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #19545
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
I just got a rack and panniers for my DR650. Love to join you on this!

Or, how about the Trans WV Trail? Is on this board somewhere.

Edit: I just took a look at the link to the BRTR. Damn, yo, we gotta go!

It WILL happen! I've requested a copy of the gpx from error cooled.

Dammit, I'm getting way too ginned up for it being only Jan 3rd... There's a lot of winter between us and the BRT.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote