ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #19666
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnoGPS View Post
Thanks! Duh!? I should have looked in the FM first myself!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #19667
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,092
We know it isn't to ask about his trip. Eddy really wants to buy that yellow DL.

Looking at the photos makes me want real hand guards on my strom now. Will have to wait, the MC budget for items beyond fuel and oil has been killed for the time being.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #19668
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
We know it isn't to ask about his trip. Eddy really wants to buy that yellow DL.

Looking at the photos makes me want real hand guards on my strom now. Will have to wait, the MC budget for items beyond fuel and oil has been killed for the time being.

And have you changed your fork oil?

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #19669
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Well... Update on the KTM on Craigslist.

The site NICB errantly showed the VIN as not stolen. The officers checked the NCIB web site, and then called them. When the agent at NICB tried to run the VIN he got the same results.. not stolen. Then the agent at NICB tried an internal system and it did come back stolen.

So.. NICB has a bug to work out.

What the prevalence of this type of bug is we cannot know. So NICB cannot be trusted 100%.

To get that 100% you need to go to the local Sheriff office. However, they have better things to do than run VINs for people however it is likely they will do it on occasion. This is according to the state police and the DMV officers.

The most important item is about the Abandoned Property Process. And this is key.

Even if you get through that process, and get a title, you still have the risk of it being stolen but 'not yet reported'. Even if the item is reported years later as stolen, they can come back and get it.

So.. That process is to be avoided as it is not reliable.

Now, for bikes without titles, how can someone reliably purchase it with no risk.

Answer. Get the VIN and get a hold of the current title holder and have it transferred. If you cannot get the title, you have risk.

And of course we all knew that :) .. but now we also know for certain that the Abandoned Property Process will not work to get a risk free title to a vehicle without a title. It may work.. but it may not.

The issue with the VIN on the NICB site is probably a fluke... however once encountered you are going to always suspect the next one you check is a fluke also... errr. Bummer.
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #19670
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
Well... Update on the KTM on Craigslist.

The site NICB errantly showed the VIN as not stolen. The officers checked the NCIB web site, and then called them. When the agent at NICB tried to run the VIN he got the same results.. not stolen. Then the agent at NICB tried an internal system and it did come back stolen.

So.. NICB has a bug to work out.

What the prevalence of this type of bug is we cannot know. So NICB cannot be trusted 100%.

To get that 100% you need to go to the local Sheriff office. However, they have better things to do than run VINs for people however it is likely they will do it on occasion. This is according to the state police and the DMV officers.

The most important item is about the Abandoned Property Process. And this is key.

Even if you get through that process, and get a title, you still have the risk of it being stolen but 'not yet reported'. Even if the item is reported years later as stolen, they can come back and get it.

So.. That process is to be avoided as it is not reliable.

Now, for bikes without titles, how can someone reliably purchase it with no risk.

Answer. Get the VIN and get a hold of the current title holder and have it transferred. If you cannot get the title, you have risk.

And of course we all knew that :) .. but now we also know for certain that the Abandoned Property Process will not work to get a risk free title to a vehicle without a title. It may work.. but it may not.

The issue with the VIN on the NICB site is probably a fluke... however once encountered you are going to always suspect the next one you check is a fluke also... errr. Bummer.
Or option two...pay a little more, buy a bike with a title and sleep better. LOL!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #19671
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,028
Warm Weekend Ride

Hey guys. I think the wife is going to let me loose for a day this weekend to do some riding. I am sure some of you will get a ride together and I'd like to come along. Do you know if it will be Saturday or Sunday yet? I was thinking about making a dash to Snowshoe and back but since it will be so cold in the morning I am already talking myself out of it...
Old 01-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #19672
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Is there another type of poker? LOL! Yep, Texas Hold-Em.

and the blinds are?

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #19673
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 669
re: miles -- Y'all are funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Hey guys. I think the wife is going to let me loose for a day this weekend to do some riding. I am sure some of you will get a ride together and I'd like to come along. Do you know if it will be Saturday or Sunday yet? I was thinking about making a dash to Snowshoe and back but since it will be so cold in the morning I am already talking myself out of it...
One worthy option is a RTE to Marshall VA Sunday in honor of an ADVer heading west:
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1407

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #19674
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Last update on the KTM from Craigslist...

they got the guy.. so I suppose he now has to tell his story.

Also interestingly I got a call from NICS and an email explaining their system. Apparently it was noticed and that is good for their credibility :)

It's been a fun experience.. and now I know the rest of the story about Motorcycles without Titles !
Old 01-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #19675
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
...they got the guy..
Meaning the guy trying to sell it on CL ? Possession of stolen property....
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #19676
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
And have you changed your fork oil?
What does my fork oil have to do with anything? Although, no I have not been brave enough to tear down the forks. Not really sure it needs it yet. Only 27k miles on my bike.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #19677
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Meaning the guy trying to sell it on CL ? Possession of stolen property....
yes... however that guy just called me and apologized saying he didn't know it was stolen. He does loose the bike though. He had the bill of sale and the name and number of the guy he bought it from so it goes again to the next person down the line..

yeeHaw.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #19678
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,533
A very interesting story.^^^^
Old 01-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #19679
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Makes buying a bike with a real title look better the more I hear.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #19680
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
What does my fork oil have to do with anything? Although, no I have not been brave enough to tear down the forks. Not really sure it needs it yet. Only 27k miles on my bike.
Oil cost money and if is time. Also hope you flushed the brake fluid and coolant. More money.

I need fork springs and shock spring. Mo money.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote