ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #19876
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
IMHO the BRP is nice, especially during the week when you've got it all to yourself, but what's better are all the roads around the BRP.
^^^^ . Absolutely definitely go early to mid-week if you can.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #19877
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Oh, Connie?

Realizing that I should sign up on the COG forum and ask this, I nonetheless have a question. On the Connie, are there aftermarket side bags (panniers/saddlebags/whatever-you-want-to-call-them) available?

I ask because while I think the styling of the older bikes are wonderful, I absolutely despise the styling of the cases. They look like throwbacks from 1978. Makes me want to grow sideburns, wear a cheesy mustache, and don some shiny polyester clothes. Just .... bleeh. Aluminum panniers would look silly, but I'm hoping one of you Connie Types can point me in a direction for something a tad more modern looking than those atrocities.

You may now resume your discussions on the finer points of dirt and teeth. :-)

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #19878
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
So as you guys were wondering I did ride out west by myself today. That turns out to be good for everyone but me.

So I got out a little later than I wanted and headed out from Williamsburg around 9:45. Headed out to Scottsville via Rt 6, cut over on James River Rd to 56. A little rain in Richmond and west, but nothing to bad and the temp stayed up around 60. When I hit Lowesville Rd. it was dry but foggy. Took Little Piney Rd. up to VA-698 where I hit the first water crossing of the day.

A little deeper than I initially expected but fun none the less, after two more water crossings I was definitely happy that the Klim jacket pants,& gloves were water proof. The Sidi boots also kept me completely dry. The said thing is, later this gear will do more than keep me dry.

Well I ran up the mountain to the dead end turned around headed back down cross the creeks & back to Little Piney. Took that back to Dickies Rd., where I cut off on a couple of other two tracks that were fun but dead ended. After about 2 hrs of this I hopped back on to Dickies Rd. heading towards 56 to go home.

As I approached the left hand turn at Castle Creek Rd. 4 deer jump out as I hit the brakes I also took the first deer with me. It was all in slow motion but not slow enough not to hit one. Lost the front tire at about 40. As I'm sliding looking back at the bike I think," wow that was not that bad." Then the bike hits a bump in the road & flips over. Boom yard sale, everything in the panniers is instantly spread all over the road. I stand up walk over to the bike pick it up to access the damage. Put the kick stand down, then think where is that Effing deer. I'm gonna strap it to the back of this haul it back. Well out in the field a couple hundred yards away I see them all running.

As I'm picking up my debris field, I'm starting to get pissed. I'm trying to figure out why the deer were on a dead run. Well didn't get an answer to that question, but did realize why people buy clutch & brake reservoir guards, as mine where both broke off.

After bending the panniers back enough to stuff my shit in them, I started to wrench on the controls to start my journey home. I bent the handle bars so bad that the the throttle had to be forced to work & forced to release. Well both side panels, windshield, both blinkers, bent subframe to panniers, distroyed the panniers, ALTrider bars worked great, and both mirrors are all trashed. The most important thing is all the klim, & sidi gear not only kept me dry, but I didn't even get a scratch.

I was dry when I got home even in that driving rain from Richmond to Williamsburg. So I had to first in my 24 years of riding on the road. First deer I have ever hit with anything other than an arrow or bullet, Second was my first time down on a public paved road. Well I'm glad that is over.

Insurance adjust will be here at 11:30 to look at the bike. Not real happy today, kind of said what I did to this beautiful bike.

toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #19879
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Anyone know if Toddzcker made it back safely? I can't stop thinking about it.
Thanks for the thought, but the weather was nice out there. It was 62 & just some fog, but it was nice riding on the trails. Damn deer, wish I would have had a Go-Pro, but thinking back it would not have mattered. I would have shut it off as I was heading home and just puttsing along at 45 mph.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #19880
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
You OK?

I'm assuming (because you didn't mention it) that all your parts are working correctly? No damage to the nut driving the bike?

Edit: Whoops -- "The most important thing is all the klim, & sidi gear not only kept me dry, but I didn't even get a scratch.". Guess I should have read that. Glad you're not bent too.

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #19881
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,666
Wow glad your OK and was able to ride it home...
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #19882
SplitLanesLikeMOSES

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Awe man... I don't know which is worse. I hate being hungry. I turn into a bear... I don't know you, but it sounds like you have been going through a rough patch lately and it is good to see that you are on here in good spirits. I hope you feel better soon. I guess you will get some new chompers after you heal up. Standing around a campfire drinking beer a dentist told me that teeth are like toes. You can lose one or two without much trouble, but if you lose more you have some serious issues to deal with. I will never look at teeth or toes the same again. Anyone know if Toddzcker made it back safely? I can't stop thinking about it.

He hit a deer near 56. He is okay. Bike had some damage. Ins. agent to see it today. He said 1st time he hit a deer and 1st time with a road get-off. He said he rode it back with no front brake or clutch. Hit a downpour after Richmond on his way back. He said he wrote it all up to post last night but then his phone died and he said screw it.

So there you go Todd............I wrote it for ya

Glad you're O.K. !!!!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #19883
SplitLanesLikeMOSES

Oddometer: 596
Opps.......
Old 01-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #19884
toddzacker
NO FILTER

A little road rash in the gear, but none on me.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #19885
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Realizing that I should sign up on the COG forum and ask this, I nonetheless have a question. On the Connie, are there aftermarket side bags (panniers/saddlebags/whatever-you-want-to-call-them) available?

I ask because while I think the styling of the older bikes are wonderful, I absolutely despise the styling of the cases. They look like throwbacks from 1978. Makes me want to grow sideburns, wear a cheesy mustache, and don some shiny polyester clothes. Just .... bleeh. Aluminum panniers would look silly, but I'm hoping one of you Connie Types can point me in a direction for something a tad more modern looking than those atrocities.

Givi has mounts and bags to fit the pre-C14 Connies. Ditto for the top case. You would need the E128 mounting plate.

There are probably more out there (Shad???), but those are the ones I am familiar with.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #19886
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitLanesLikeMOSES View Post
He hit a deer near 56. He is okay. Bike had some damage. Ins. agent to see it today. He said 1st time he hit a deer and 1st time with a road get-off. He said he rode it back with no front brake or clutch. Hit a downpour after Richmond on his way back. He said he wrote it all up to post last night but then his phone died and he said screw it.

So there you go Todd............I wrote it for ya

Glad you're O.K. !!!!!!
Thanks Ryan, I was gonna just do a quick blurp, but it popped up when I when to write the quick reply...
Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #19887
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
A little road rash in the gear, but none on me.
Wow!!! Glad YOU got out of that relatively unscathed.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #19888
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
I'd wanna say Thank You for joining me :) Had a great time.. and planning on heading back out there in the next couple weeks :) ... probably middle of Feb...

I need to ride and re-ride the 'same' trail to get better... and that trail is a good learning experience each time I go out. This was the third time on it and this was the best I have done todate... I plan to get better though... :)
Im in for that ride...That will give me time to fix the bike...
Old 01-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #19889
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrut1972 View Post
Looking to plan a spring BRP trip. Can anyone point me to any RR's?

do a search on "blue ridge" on this site. there is a ton of info here on the BRP.

you'll find info on the Willville Bike camp @ Meadows of Dan, places to eat, hotels, like Freeborne's and Station's Inn (now closed), Little Switzerland, I suggest the Alpine Inn,

Also google Blue Ridge Parkway, there are many sites on camping, hiking, state parks, etc.

It's a fun trip down to Cherokee on the BRP
IBA#10787

We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #19890
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post

Geez. I LIKE the way they look. I don't like those Givi bags though.