ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #19921
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I get the shifting up and down. I do that on my bikes and truck sometimes. How do you come to a complete stop. Find neutral and stop? Did you have a little bit of clutch pressure left and actually used the clutch those two times?
No clutch at all, just neutral... It was fun, okay not really...
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #19922
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I confused you with a lack of information. If you follow the link JHVA provided it shows all of the bills relating to motorcyclists. I started ranting about the change in the law to not require helmets for folks over 21. Sorry about that.

I see...
I don't expect this to pass... they can try and pass it but I cannot imagine it will fly.

Good catch on finding this... I had no idea it was in play.

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #19923
BDRichmond
Adv'er

Oddometer: 46
Orlando to New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
On Bullet no. 2, I remember BillsburgGS took the auto train to FLA and altho' the train ride was fine since he had a club car the riding once he got down there sucked majorly. Traffic, congestion, construction, basic a-holes, more congestion...PM him for that experience that he had.
I rode from Orlando to New Orleans hugging the gulf coast and going through a few nice state forests and thought it was a great ride with nice scenery and not much traffic/congestion once out of Orlando. Of course it's Florida so you have to watch out for elderly cagers but I didn't have any problems. If I had more time on that trip I would have headed from New Orleans to Nashville or Memphis. Or you could head further west to Texas... I wish I had that much time available...

BD
BDRichmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #19924
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
I have been given a green light by momma to purchase Gabriel a "real" dirtbike as he is bottoming out the suspension on his PW50 too often. Everyone keeps pointing me to the KTM 50SX. Yes, it is an awesome little bike but, ouch! The price! I have bought really nice, 250 cc dirtbikes for me for less money!
So, if you know of anyone selling a nice, small KTM or other 50-65 cc dirtbike, please let me know.
P.S. I am going to clean and put his PW50 on CL for $500 soon if anybody is interested.
]
Eddy,

The KTM 50 senior was the first bike for both my son and daughter. It was perfect!!! It prepared them for their next bikes. These bikes are the best little bikes you can by. I passed the KTM on to my sister & her third child is learning on it, it's still running strong. My daughter use to ride with my son on his RM85 & his buddies on 65's & kept with the 65's on the track. I think she was more crazy then jos friends tho.

If I could pursued you, I would say go with the KTM. It will last him longer than the PW and you will have fun ripping around on it.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #19925
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Jeez Todd, that's some pretty nasty damage. At least all the really important bits were protected though. Glad that you were able to make it home and have the insurance to cover some of the cost. I was actually talking to an insurance rep last night about pricing full coverage so that my ass would be covered in just such an event. I never bothered with anything other than liability on my ratty little ninja... But I plan on picking up something a hell of a lot nicer tomorrow!

Check it out, a 2002 DRZ400S with 1500 miles, inspected, one owner!

Thanks to all who suggested links to classifieds I might have missed in the meantime. I think this is the one, though. Wish me luck making the buy tomorrow!

First bike with full coverage for me also. I'm thankful now for it.

Also if any of you have noticed, but every time I add a bike to my policy, my rate drops. I added the KLR(liability) and the rate was $65/ yr but because of the multi-bike discount my rate on the GS dropped $145/per. Then I added the 650gs for $79/yr and my GS dropped another $145/yr. if this keeps up, I will have the 1200GS insured for free.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #19926
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 636
@ Hig, If you want to ride out west, flying/renting a bike may be one way to skip the huge stretch of flatlands in between. Was something I was kicking around for this spring, til I made other plans instead.

@ Todd, holy smokes, glad you are alright!

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #19927
rctr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Todd,

I'm glad to her you are ok. Let me know if you or Nicole need anything.

Jimmy
Rctr
Old 01-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #19928
buckrut1972
H.R. Nightmare

Oddometer: 107
Todd that is some scary stuff and ive whacked a few in my truck. I could only imagine how it is on a bike. Glad u are ok. ATGATT....

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #19929
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDRichmond View Post
I rode from Orlando to New Orleans hugging the gulf coast and going through a few nice state forests and thought it was a great ride with nice scenery and not much traffic/congestion once out of Orlando. Of course it's Florida so you have to watch out for elderly cagers but I didn't have any problems. If I had more time on that trip I would have headed from New Orleans to Nashville or Memphis. Or you could head further west to Texas... I wish I had that much time available... BD
That's an idea worth looking at. Music at the corners! New Orleans and Nashville. Hmmmm .....

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #19930
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,416
Quote:
Everyone keeps pointing me to the KTM 50SX. Yes, it is an awesome little bike but, ouch! The price!
So, if you know of anyone selling a nice, small KTM or other 50-65 cc dirtbike, please let me know.
KTM50

Quote:
for sale 2002 ktm 50 mini adventure 2 stroke oil injected air cooled fully automatic. bike looks good and runs good asking $ 700 bucks obo please call NO E-MAIL steve 301-751-0826 thanks
Old 01-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #19931
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
. Everyone keeps pointing me to the KTM 50SX. Yes, it is an awesome little bike but, ouch! The price!
Craigs list it.... a good site is http://www.adhuntr.com/

I just got my 10 yo a 65sx for 1400... circa 2008. Great condition and everything they would need. You can keep it for 2 years and get an even K for it. Cheap when you think of a two year rental for only 400$.

One thing... get a titled bike :) ... It is important ;)

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #19932
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post

A little road rash in the gear, but none on me.
Glad to hear you are okay. We pay the big bucks for the gear so we CAN survive the unexpected, and walk/ride away. IMHO, it wouldn't surprise me if those deer were running from dogs..... and don't get me started on dog hunters.....

But then again, it could have just been one of those flukes of nature, which goes back to why were spend the big bucks on gear....

After your insurance agent totals the bike, do the math. If they let you keep it for 10% of the pay-out, I would. Did that with my K1100RS after the great flood of Hurricane Isabel. Got $5000 for it, then bought it back for $500. The $5000 went to the GS, and the K1100RS now has another 25,000 miles on it after being "totaled", but only cost me $500 to own. Your mileage may vary.

But do get new riding gear, and ESPECIALLY a new helmet. Make them pay for that. Many insurance companies don't.

Glad YOU are undamaged. But I'd bet you are feeling a little beat up now.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #19933
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post

After your insurance agent totals the bike, do the math. If they let you keep it for 10% of the pay-out, I would. Did that with my K1100RS after the great flood of Hurricane Isabel. Got $5000 for it, then bought it back for $500. The $5000 went to the GS, and the K1100RS now has another 25,000 miles on it after being "totaled", but only cost me $500 to own. Your mileage may vary.
Many years ago I woke up and as I usually do looked out into the apartment parking lot to check on my bike...and there is lay....on its side.

It had minor damage but a little corner of the upper case was cracked.

They totalled it. I bought it back. I drilled the case a 1/4 " deeper and got a longer screw and some epoxy.

Cheapest bike I ever owned.

Glad you are ok!!!! Stuff can be fixed!!!
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #19934
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,759
Quote:
In other news, I recieved a nice deposit on my R1200GS this past weekend. I am very sad to see the big girl go but on the other hand, I am excited to try something new. I offered to buy Jon's super farkled V-Strom 650 that is here in the FM and on CL, but I was too late and I am now second in line. I am also reseaching 800 Tigers, F800GS's, V-Stroms, Super Teneres, and some others. I can't swallow the cost of a new GS. I may just stick with the DRZ400 for a while and get a two stroke dirtbike to enjoy with my boy...

Lastly, I am taking the BMW Performance Center 3 day "Dual Sport Foundations" course in May if anybody wants to go with me and split a room. I will be A LOT of fun!
http://www.bmwusa.com/performancecenter#motorcycle-dual
I wasn't really thinking you were serious about buying a strom. And no, mine isn't for sale. I am getting ready to change the fork oil though. Not sure how I feel about splitlanes having goaded me into doing it though.

Anyone want to start a pool on how long Eddy owns the next bike he buys?

Now for the rest of you. Holy smokes, I read Guy's post this morning about his teeth and then look back this evening and there are 3 more pages.

Todd, glad you came out OK.

Bastard biker, Congrats on the drz.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #19935
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Glad to hear you are okay. We pay the big bucks for the gear so we CAN survive the unexpected, and walk/ride away. IMHO, it wouldn't surprise me if those deer were running from dogs..... and don't get me started on dog hunters.....

But then again, it could have just been one of those flukes of nature, which goes back to why were spend the big bucks on gear....

But do get new riding gear, and ESPECIALLY a new helmet. Make them pay for that. Many insurance companies don't.

Glad YOU are undamaged. But I'd bet you are feeling a little beat up now.

jeff
Jeff,
Don't think they will total it. They are only up to $7100 in damage. This the adjusters estimate. I'm taking it to Morton's in the morning, I bet they will run that number up.

As for the gear, pants will be ordered tomorrow. As for the helmet, she was going to do a new for me, but it is untouched. I replace my helmets if they drop, so an accident would be a definite, but it did not hit anything.