ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #20041
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
I'm blissfully happy with my GSA and it aint leavin' my possession.
I'm with Guy and Doc on this!

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #20042
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
Don't discourage those that like to swap bikes. It is good entertainment for the rest of us. It is much cheaper to be wheeling and dealing vicariously.

Guy, I'd think you would be happy because most times the "new" bikes make it over to your shop for a few days for fixes or accessories.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #20043
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Don't discourage those that like to swap bikes. It is good entertainment for the rest of us. It is much cheaper to be wheeling and dealing vicariously.

Guy, I'd think you would be happy because most times the "new" bikes make it over to your shop for a few days for fixes or accessories.
Jeremy, just poking fun because I am jealous, envious... and all of that + I don't have the room (or bux) to even consider increasing my bike count.

Besides, my wife would kill me.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #20044
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Jeremy, just poking fun because I am jealous, envious... and all of that + I don't have the room (or bux) to even consider increasing my bike count.

Besides, my wife would kill me.

I wasn't saying you were not just poking fun. Just pointing out it probably means more business for you. I doubt if any of us had the bike budget that there are not a few bikes we would want to try owning.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #20045
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
I'm with Guy and Doc on this!
I'm 100% happy with my bike too. If the motor blew up today, I'd get another one and swap all the goodies over to it.

I've had at one time, counting dirt bikes, six motorcycles in my garage. At the height of my craziness. Now one and that's how I plan to keep it.. simple.

Still look at craigslist just about daily with no intent to buy anything.. The shopping/researching is just as much entertainment as the getting. Definitely cheaper.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #20046
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
I do have to admit I enjoy the entertaining "new bike" banter and Guy does do a nice job of getting a bike into road/rode worthy condition.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #20047
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

changed the fork oil in the Wee today

First I removed a pile of stuff.

Then I looked at my 2009 DL650 unicycle.

Not as bad as I thought it would be getting the forks out. The oil was old and very gray.

Buttoned it all back up and then realized the one thing I forgot. I didn't plug in the big plug on the back of the gauge cluster. Took me about 15 minutes after I had everything cleaned up to reach up inside the fender and get it plugged in.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #20048
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Speaking of wrenching, I'm going to be wrenching on my sweet little DRZ on my next day off. Or maybe some evening that's not too frigid. Not sure when that will ever be.

I just need to pull off my carb and check the condition of the jets and various passageways. The thing runs like a champ except at idle and it's driving me absolutely crazy having to keep the revs up just a bit with an attentive wrist at stoplights to keep it from stalling at random. Unacceptable for a daily driver!

I have Thumpertalk case savers in the mail and once I get those installed I'm going to head back to the training grounds as soon as I have a chance. I've been riding off road just a little bit and it's an absolute blast. The turning radius on this thing is just great and the torquey thumper spins the wheel in the dirt easily so I can whip the bitch around all fancy-crazy. I think I might be having too much fun.

Also, it power wheelies really easily in first which just makes me giddy! These knobbies really have teeth and are handling the highway surprisingly well. I'm not sure I can ever really go back to a streetbike as my primary vehicle. This thing just feels so goddamn capable. While it may not be the best bike for long distances, touring can be done on any bike if your balls are big enough, and the ability to go anywhere raises the practicality score massively for me.

I don't mean to ramble, just excited and figured I'd share it with some people that can understand my happiness.

Stay warm everybody.
bastardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:19 AM   #20049
jwray76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
From Bob White @ CCDR

We have some exciting schools in the works.

First, the legendary Shane Watts will be here Thursday, Feb 28 & Friday, March 1 for a two-day "Hard Core" Advanced Rider Training session. This school is a must for the advanced rider looking to take his skills to the next step.

For the rest of us mere mortals, Shane will be conducting his DIRTWISE TWO DAY "IN-DEPTH" SCHOOL after the hard core school. Those dates are the following Saturday March 2, and Sunday March 3. This school is for any level of skill rider.

Primitive camping is available and... if you have the energy... you can ride the trails and MX course after the schools.

In addition, for something different, Mike Hacker will be conducting his Ride Academy Cornering School, tentative scheduled for the same weekend. Mike is starting to receive national recognition for his schools--for any rider that wants to improve their cornering skills. Like Ricky says, "Jumping is for show and corners are for dough."

Last, I'm doing rider schools for the beginner/intermediate rider--so if you have a wife, girlfriend, child, friend, (or you) etc who needs some help at a reasonable cost, contact me.

For more information:
Shane Watts School: http://www.shanewatts.com/programs
Mike Hacker RideAcademy Schools: http://www.rideacademy.com/
Ride, Race, Repair Schools: http://www.bobscyclebarn.com/SCHOOLS.php
Charles City Dirt Riders: http://www.ccdirtriders.org

Thanks,
Bob White
804-432-7556 office direct
804-536-7534 cell

Bob's Cycle Barn, Inc. (Formally Cycle Concepts)
11777 Roxbury Rd
Charles City, Va 23030
www.cycleconceptsva.net
804-432-7556

Charles City Dirt Riders, Inc
Motorcycle and Trail Riding Facility
www.ccdirtriders.org
804-432-7556

3-R School
Riding, Racing, Repair Schools
Motorcycle Rider Training
Motorcycle Maintenance Classes
"Train with the Pros"
http://www.ccdirtriders.org/Motorcycle_Training.html
804-432-7556
jwray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #20050
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
I just need to pull off my carb and check the condition of the jets and various passageways. The thing runs like a champ except at idle and it's driving me absolutely crazy having to keep the revs up just a bit with an attentive wrist at stoplights to keep it from stalling at random. Unacceptable for a daily driver!
Crank the idle up. Won't hurt it.

Have fun!
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #20051
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,013
Stories of my past travels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I am still amazed that Jeff rode more in a year than I have in my entire life. I want to read up on his travels when I have time. I read the part about him transitioning to guide on the silk road yesterday... Sometimes I test a "book" against my attention span by peeking into the middle.
Thanks man. That's very nice of you to say. I hope my story passed your attention span test. Was that the section on crossing into Uzbekistan? That was one of my favorites parts. I'm glad you found my signature lines are links to stories as well. I have others out hidden on the web, which are not ADVrider connected.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:10 AM   #20052
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
Crank the idle up....
Clean it.

Ill be turning wrenches later too, my 5 gal tank is supposed to be here today.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #20053
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,013
Praise for the indomitable GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
I'm blissfully happy with my GSA and it aint leavin' my possession.
+100 on this one.

Just got back from a weekend in Florida at the Winter Rally near Gainesville. Departed in the huge storm front on Thursday. Rode 5 of 8 hours in driving rain and 48F temps before surrendering at darkness. Friday we got to Florida, set up camp, stripped the windscreen and the bags off the bike, dropped the tire pressures, and did 200+ miles over the weekend of off road, dirt, gravel, sugar sand, MX course, GP racetrack, and 4x4 rutted trails that brought us to our knees. Camped, told tall tales, made new friends, imbided a bit, put everything back on the bike, aired up the tires, broke camp, loaded, and road home yesterday in one shot, for almost a 1500 mile weekend. The GS did it all with style, grace, and alacrity. And I got a full body workout from the repeated squats needed to lift the big pig off of the sand.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. There are other bikes out there that do some things better, but there are no bikes out there that do everything as well. That is why the GS is the standard that everyone is trying to match. If I had to get rid of all my bikes (heaven forbid) and only keep one, it would be the GS.

I'm still waiting on some pics from others, and need to do some video editing of the GoPro chip. Will post some later if I can figure it out. I hate it when you have to be smarter than your equipment to use it.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #20054
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,891
Good job. Keep those Stroms running. Change the fluids and go.

The ultimate do it all motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
First I removed a pile of stuff.

Then I looked at my 2009 DL650 unicycle.

Not as bad as I thought it would be getting the forks out. The oil was old and very gray.

Buttoned it all back up and then realized the one thing I forgot. I didn't plug in the big plug on the back of the gauge cluster. Took me about 15 minutes after I had everything cleaned up to reach up inside the fender and get it plugged in.

Wee Strommin along.

biker128pedal screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 07:31 AM
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #20055
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
Keep those Stroms running. The ultimate do it all motorcycle.
Oh shit, here we go again...now waiting for the Super Tenere, KLR, DRZ, Tiger and Stelvio owners to chime in...