ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #20311
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
Bastard- man that hurts I bet...I have seen it happen to hundreds of guys on the track...I am lucky to never have broke mine. 12 years of dirt & road racing and never a broken clavicle. I had one guy on my road race team who broke his one weekend and the next was racing. He cried as he put his leathers on, I don't me whipper, but flat out cried.

No fun hope you heal soon and get back out on the road, and I'm with Jeff on the postpone the court date if you are gonna walk in with your arm in a sling.

Chuck and Jeff-
Thanks for the weather heads up...I'm heading to Roanoke in the am. Sounds like fun...
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #20312
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
BMW Performance Center's Dual-Sport Foundations class teaches riding on the pegs as an appropriate way to ride some surfaces (e.g., named but unmaintained roads that are rough), not just as a way to cross a 2x4 or other "feature". Which raises the question: is it seriously regarded by the letter of the law as flat-out "wreckless" when it is taught as a useful skill?
Unmaintained roads and a city street are slightly different situations. I'll stand on my pegs from time to time but the roads in Virginia just aren't that bad to where you need to stand for more than a few seconds to get past a bad spot.
Now if it was some of the roads in say like Russia, that I've seen on some RR's here then yes I'd be standing on the pegs thru town too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post

Working in my favor, there were railroad tracks near where I got stopped and some uneven pavement/potholes as well so I think I might be OK.

Well those little tidbits may change the playing field in your favor.

In other news, I highsided the shit out of my DRZ today and snapped my friggin clavicle right in half. It separated almost an inch. Not fun.
Yikes!!! Heal quickly man!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #20313
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
In other news, I highsided the shit out of my DRZ today and snapped my friggin clavicle right in half. It separated almost an inch.
Dude! that's a lot of drama for one day.

Sounds like that cop got in your head.. He calls you reckless and you run right out and crash..

Heal up quick.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #20314
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Unmaintained roads and a city street are slightly different situations. I'll stand on my pegs from time to time but the roads in Virginia just aren't that bad to where you need to stand for more than a few seconds to get past a bad spot.
Now if it was some of the roads in say like Russia, that I've seen on some RR's here then yes I'd be standing on the pegs thru town too.

Yikes!!! Heal quickly man!
On a long ride, a few minutes "on the pegs" is fantastic.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #20315
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,505
Quote:
In other news, I highsided the shit out of my DRZ today and snapped my friggin clavicle right in half. It separated almost an inch.
Holy crap! Try not to make that a habit, OK?
Old 01-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #20316
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
On a long ride, a few minutes "on the pegs" is fantastic.
I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh
I'll stand on my pegs from time to time
I didn't mean to get across an obstacle...but riding around standing on the pegs in the middle of a town or city is just screaming "pull me over and write me up!"

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #20317
rctr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Pad Thai, Alamo?

Jimmy
Rctr
Old 01-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #20318
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
Bastard that SUCKS!!!!

Dirt tires on the street? What happened? (Just so we can all learn from your DOH moment!)

Best damn radar site I have found.....

http://www.funtimevaaeronuts.org/weather/weather3.htm

storms a coming!
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Woah Bastard! Did you wreck on road or off?
Ric/BR: Here's what happened. I was riding out from North Richmond to Powhatan to hang out with my buddy before the rain showed up. I was about a mile away from his house turning off of Academy and on to RTE 60 W. The stoplight was red initially but turned green as I was approaching and slowing down so I never had to stop altogether. It had rained some in the area and the roads were slick.

I guess I had gotten a bit too confident with the grip of the DOT-approved knobbies on the bike and leaned it over a bit too far. I was going maybe 25mph when the rear end started to slide, and rather than letting off the throttle GENTLY and SMOOTHLY or just letting the bike lowside, I was too jerky letting off the throttle, the rear hooked back up hard, the bike bucked and threw me straight over the bars, head and shoulder first into the asphalt. Stood back up immediately to get my bike out of the road but I couldn't pick it up. Again I was lucky here in that it happened right in front of some bikers who blocked the road for me and got my bike out of the street. There was no other traffic around and nobody coming up behind me since I had the green light. One of the guys called 911 despite my objections and the whole crew showed up.

The cop who checked me out didn't give me any kind of ticket and didn't feel like I was being reckless. It was really just bad judgement and a tiny bit too much mustard on the throttle. I have a bit of a habit of testing limits, sometimes too soon. So that's what happened. Totally my fault, and I feel like an idiot. The whole thing was pretty embarrassing. I really didn't like not being able to pick up my own bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
That's what we are here for. Any one of us stands on the pegs from time to time. Although I will say I don't do it in the city.....

Might I offer a little advice? I gave you the link because we all feel that just standing on the pegs should not be a write-able offense. We all feel for you man. But given your other news of the day, I'd say either postpone your court date until after you are healed, or DO NOT show up at court with your arm in a sling. You could become your own worst evidence in a "reckless driving" charge, especially if they ask you how you hurt yourself.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but getting written for reckless driving and saying it was unjustified, then high-siding a bike and breaking your clavicle later on the same day? Bad luck? Bad Karma? I know it could happen to any of us, but jeez bastardbiker.... things seem to be happening to you on a regular basis here.

just saying.......

jeff
Jeff: I appreciate the advice. I'm actually not in a sling, I have this 'round-the-shoulders gun-holster looking brace that keeps my shoulders back and pressure on my clavicle to that the bone pieces stay touching and will fuse. Doc said I'd have a lump but most or all of my range of motion once it's healed. The brace I'm wearing can be concealed under clothing so looking like a dingus in court isn't going to be a problem.

I do think that the ticket that I was written yesterday was heavy handed and unjustified for sure. It seems like you feel that my crash today sort of invalidates my feeling about it. And that's fine. I'm sure I don't come off like the most responsible person with a name like bastardbiker and coming from a beat-up and abused Ninja 250. I'm not exactly young, but maybe I do have sort of a "devil may care" attitude when I should be more cautious and responsible. I do try to learn my lessons though.

Bad luck or bad karma? I don't think it's karma. I don't do wrong by anyone and honestly try to help others as much as I can because it makes me feel like I have a fulfilled life.

Maybe I'm naive in thinking that if what I do doesn't hurt others I should be left alone. I personally find that it can be hard to really enjoy yourself in life while at the same time following every little rule and regulation down to the letter. Some people might look down on me for that opinion. That's fine too. I'm not saying that you necessarily feel that way, just putting it out there. Don't worry, I have thick skin. You're not going to offend me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
You sure your middle name isn't mayhem????

Know all about them busted clavicles. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

Guy: I'm beginning to think you might be right!

Danny, B-walsh, pplassm, toddZ and everyone else who offered well wishes: Thanks! I appreciate your sympathy but the accident was definitely my fault. I should have respected the bike's power more and been more careful, especially being on knobbies in the wet. ...Another lesson learned.

bastardbiker screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 08:38 PM
bastardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:59 AM   #20319
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
BB, sounds like they put you in a Figure-8. That's what they put on me when I broke mine out in MT. Allowed me to ride the bike back home here in VA. Here the doc put me in a sling. Unfortunately, the lack of any shoulder movement allowed it to seize up, and that's when the fun began later.... trying to get movement in it. My age and the fact that I smoked slowed up the process for a trace to even begin to form. It eventually did and I wasn't blessed with a non-union.

http://www.dme-direct.com/ossur-figu...lavicle-splint

Lemme tell ya, by the time I got home from MT, the pads that went under my arm pits were really beginning to get a little "ripe," even tho' I showered in it on the way back. :-)

Hope you heal quickly.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:00 AM   #20320
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
Ok great progress on the Baby GS last night.

-Got the front end assembled & on and straight I most add
-Took old front tire of & replaced it with a new TKC80
-New front brake rotor...new pads will go on Friday when my caliper rebuild kit is in and I can do that
-Handle bars and Controls all on and adjusted
-New Spark plugs and air filter...then re-assembled everything from there up(air box, battery box, & battery on Tender)
-New rear caliper on & hooked up
-Had trouble getting the rear tire off the bead so I ran out of time and did not swap out the rear tire yet.
-The whole time I'm doing this stuff Nicole is wiping the bike down & cleaning every part before it goes back on.

All that's left is:
-Mount rear tire
-Bleed brakes
-Change oil
-Put headlight assembly on
-assemble instrument panel
-put plastics on.

Two more evening & it will be ready to ride...Wish the Big GS was that close to riding again...

Oh so any recommendations for new panniers on my 1200GS? I need to replace them & I want a sturdy but light pair.
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:15 AM   #20321
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 541
Great analysis. Thanks for the recap.

My bet is that with a bit more time on the bike you would have just flattracked that sucker right around the corner.

Have you ever read Twist of the Wrist Vol II by Keith Code? It is one of the Survival Responses that get motorcyclists in trouble. They are hard to over come!!!

I have a copy and you are welcome to borrow it. It is a great book and is an easy read, although Keith is a better rider and teacher than writer.

I actually found this on line...but if you find this book useful you should buy it or at least send Keith some money....

http://files.meetup.com/1510087/A%20...Wrist%20II.pdf

Ric
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:32 AM   #20322
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,923
Quote:
Jeff: I appreciate the advice....

I do think that the ticket that I was written yesterday was heavy handed and unjustified for sure. It seems like you feel that my crash today sort of invalidates my feeling about it. And that's fine. I'm sure I don't come off like the most responsible person with a name like bastardbiker and coming from a beat-up and abused Ninja 250. I'm not exactly young, but maybe I do have sort of a "devil may care" attitude when I should be more cautious and responsible. I do try to learn my lessons though.
No, that wasn't my point. I guess you seem ride with a lot of "joie de vivre" and that seems to attract a lot of po-po attention. I was wondering if perhaps there was more to that ticket than you had let on.

Quote:
Bad luck or bad karma? I don't think it's karma. I don't do wrong by anyone and honestly try to help others as much as I can because it makes me feel like I have a fulfilled life.
I know. We've all observed your kind offer to help other riders with their bikes. That is one of the things I love about this community too. I'm a firm believer in Karma and doing the right thing by others too.

Quote:
Maybe I'm naive in thinking that if what I do doesn't hurt others I should be left alone. I personally find that it can be hard to really enjoy yourself in life while at the same time following every little rule and regulation down to the letter. Some people might look down on me for that opinion. That's fine too. I'm not saying that you necessarily feel that way, just putting it out there. Don't worry, I have thick skin. You're not going to offend me.
No being offended easily is a good thing. Being able to accept other's opinions honestly is great here too. I've never met you other than thru your posting here, but would like to someday. However, just because we are a forum of fellow riders doesn't mean that everyone here holds hands and sings Kumbaya all the time. We are all very different people, who just happen to all like bikes, and getting dirty from time to time.

So for you to understand me, please realize I've only seen your posts for the last month, and you've had 3 interactions with the police already. Twice (your return trip from NC, and yesterday after the accident) you were treated VERY NICELY. One incident, not so much. I just have numerous friends who are police officers, some of whom are members of this forum. Sure there are bad ones out there, and everyone has a bad day, but by and large they are incredible people doing a very difficult job. But with two police stops and one accident in 30 days, resulting in only one ticket, I think you should be very happy with how you've been treated. I was written once for "Failure to Maintain Control", while I was in the ambulance getting treated. Single vehicle, motorcycle high side, no-one and no other property damaged. Just a broken scapula and 4 broken ribs, .... and a ticket. There was no sense in pleading not guilty to that in court.

I'm not trying to tell you how to ride, but just giving you a little honest outside perspective from another rider.

Maybe we can meet up at Poe's some Sunday. I'd like to see that Ninja of yours. I also hope you heal quickly and are back on the bike soon.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:25 AM   #20323
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,012
Anyone with a longer ladder e.g. 24' willing to help a brother out that is afraid of roofs? The cap for my chimney blew off last night. I found it in the front yard this morning when walking the dog. I have a 16' ladder that is sufficient for getting on the roof but I'm not sure if you can reach the top of the chimney from there. Top of the chimney isn't much higher than the peak of the roof of my brick rancher.

I have a personal problem with getting on roofs that cause them to scare the poo out of me. I used to be OK with them but a ride on tar paper off of one and a little titanium later and they freak me out.

If I get any volunteers who are willing to place the cap back on the chimney and tighten the 4 bolts that are supposed to clamp it in place, I'm sure some form of compensation could be arranged.

On another note, I rode the DL to work this morning since my car is at the shop for state inspection. I swear I won't ride it on 64/95 downtown anymore. Every time there is a traffic jam. Took almost an hour to travel the 12 miles to work this morning. nothing like doing the slow race on the highway for several miles.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:32 AM   #20324
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
On another note, I rode the DL to work this morning since my car is at the shop for state inspection. I swear I won't ride it on 64/95 downtown anymore. Every time there is a traffic jam. Took almost an hour to travel the 12 miles to work this morning. nothing like doing the slow race on the highway for several miles.
Man, I feel your pain. My commute sucked this morning too! As I was walking up the stairs from the kitchen to my office, I had to swerve around something my wife had left on the steps. I wish there was some kind of traffic copter that could warn me of these things. I would have left the kitchen earlier. Oh well, the joys of home officing. Sigh.

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:49 AM   #20325
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Man, I feel your pain. My commute sucked this morning too! As I was walking up the stairs from the kitchen to my office, I had to swerve around something my wife had left on the steps. I wish there was some kind of traffic copter that could warn me of these things. I would have left the kitchen earlier. Oh well, the joys of home officing. Sigh.

You kid, but I'll put the suggestion out now that you own a connie. You are going to buy a vstrom one day.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote