ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 07:00 AM   #20326
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Man, I feel your pain. My commute sucked this morning too! As I was walking up the stairs from the kitchen to my office, I had to swerve around something my wife had left on the steps. I wish there was some kind of traffic copter that could warn me of these things. I would have left the kitchen earlier. Oh well, the joys of home officing. Sigh.

Pretty good Rick...I would normally pile on, but I actually had to travel to Roanoke this morning. In eventful just like I like it.

I won't mention the bullshit if I head to VB for work...
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:03 AM   #20327
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Man, I feel your pain. My commute sucked this morning too! As I was walking up the stairs from the kitchen to my office, I had to swerve around something my wife had left on the steps. I wish there was some kind of traffic copter that could warn me of these things. I would have left the kitchen earlier. Oh well, the joys of home officing. Sigh.

Hig, I had the same problem earlier this morning. I was damn near run down by an errant D606 as it plowed it's way through my side gate. Rest of the "commute" to the garage was pretty uneventful... just having to step over some small twigs that came down last night.

Scary.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 AM   #20328
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 571
Jeremy-
I have a 20' & 40' ladder but no way to get it to you from Williamsburg. If some one does not pony up, I have a buddy in RVA that might be able to help you out.
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:25 AM   #20329
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
A bit of very sad news. Charles Peters a long time Richmond BMW Riders Member/Club Officer slipped and fell hitting his head in the shower while vacationing in the Keys. Charles was talking in the ambulance on his way to the hospital in Miami but had a lot of internal bleeding and slipped in to a coma.Charles passed away in his sleep Tuesday night. Details on his service will be posted soon.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:45 AM   #20330
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
A bit of very sad news. Charles Peters a long time Richmond BMW Riders Member/Club Officer slipped and fell hitting his head in the shower while vacationing in the Keys. Charles was talking in the ambulance on his way to the hospital in Miami but had a lot of internal bleeding and slipped in to a coma.Charles passed away in his sleep Tuesday night. Details on his service will be posted soon.
That is sad John. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:55 AM   #20331
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
There, but for the grace of god, go any of us. This is so sad. I hope the Richmond riding community rallies to support the family.

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:00 AM   #20332
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Anyone with a longer ladder e.g. 24' willing to help a brother out that is afraid of roofs? The cap for my chimney blew off last night. I found it in the front yard this morning when walking the dog. I have a 16' ladder that is sufficient for getting on the roof but I'm not sure if you can reach the top of the chimney from there. Top of the chimney isn't much higher than the peak of the roof of my brick rancher.

I have a personal problem with getting on roofs that cause them to scare the poo out of me. I used to be OK with them but a ride on tar paper off of one and a little titanium later and they freak me out.

If I get any volunteers who are willing to place the cap back on the chimney and tighten the 4 bolts that are supposed to clamp it in place, I'm sure some form of compensation could be arranged.

On another note, I rode the DL to work this morning since my car is at the shop for state inspection. I swear I won't ride it on 64/95 downtown anymore. Every time there is a traffic jam. Took almost an hour to travel the 12 miles to work this morning. nothing like doing the slow race on the highway for several miles.
Wow. Quite a bit of bad news as I catch up on the RIC chatter this morning. BB, I hope you heal well and quickly. I am sorry for the fellow who slipped in the shower and my condolences to his family and friends.

I have a ladder and I can help you, but not until Saturday. I just looked at the weather forecast and it is showing flurries Friday and light rain Sunday morning. I guess you will be trying to get it back on today before the weather changes tomorrow, but if that does not work out let me know. Please make sure that I will be able to reach the top of the chimney from the roof and be able to get the cap back on there. What is the cap made of? Copper, sheet metal...?? Maybe a picture of the cap and of the chimney/roof so I can see if I can handle it by myself, etc.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:11 AM   #20333
tg4360
Misfit Toy

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I had NO idea you could get a ticket/fine for standing on the pegs. I do it all the time riding through downtown for a couple of reasons. First of all, people see you when you are standing. I am pretty sure it cuts down on the close calls when riding downtown. Secondly, the streets are so rough you almost have to stand. I was even considering adjusting one of the mirrors for the standing position. Not now as I will be learning from your new found wisdom. Sorry that happened to you.
Fight it. Go into court with witnesses and documentation that it is a perfectly valid riding technique and that in fact, as you stated it would probably be UN-safe to ride a sharp edged bump (Like typical crappy city pavement) with the seat weighted.

Point out that riding a motorcycle on rough ground is very much like riding a horse and you wouldn't sit a horse at a gallop.

When you get a chance to question the officer, ask him what HIS riding experience is on motorcycles and what he based is idea that you were "willfully and wantonly disregarding safety".

TG

(I HATE cops that don't know what the heck they are talking about)
tg4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:14 AM   #20334
tg4360
Misfit Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
I'd sure like to get an official answer on this. I just took the the MSF course this summer and several of the exercises were to stand up and use your knees as shock absorbers on rough roads or when encountering obstacles.

In addition, it was taught in the Adv Riding Course to 'STAND UP' as it increases ability and visibility and stability.

I standup often to just see over cars or to let my pants go back down when they creep up, or just to stretch for a moment.

In any-case, please let us know what you find out.

There you go. Get your hands on some MSF teaching material that shows it as a valid technique or even better if you could get an MSF instructor in as a witness.

TG
Old 01-31-2013, 08:17 AM   #20335
tg4360
Misfit Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
We've been round this before. The law in Va says something about riding only on a seat attached to the bike..
Notice that it says " ONLY ride" on the seat.

The answer to this is to point out that the legislative intent of the law is to keep people from riding on the handlebars or the fenders, not that the rider needs to keep his butt in the seat at all times.

I need to read through all the rest of this to keep from having to clutter up things with a dozen replies. Sorry guys.

TG
Old 01-31-2013, 08:29 AM   #20336
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Anyone with a longer ladder e.g. 24' willing to help a brother out that is afraid of roofs? The cap for my chimney blew off last night. I found it in the front yard this morning when walking the dog. I have a 16' ladder that is sufficient for getting on the roof but I'm not sure if you can reach the top of the chimney from there. Top of the chimney isn't much higher than the peak of the roof of my brick rancher.

I have a personal problem with getting on roofs that cause them to scare the poo out of me. I used to be OK with them but a ride on tar paper off of one and a little titanium later and they freak me out.

If I get any volunteers who are willing to place the cap back on the chimney and tighten the 4 bolts that are supposed to clamp it in place, I'm sure some form of compensation could be arranged.

On another note, I rode the DL to work this morning since my car is at the shop for state inspection. I swear I won't ride it on 64/95 downtown anymore. Every time there is a traffic jam. Took almost an hour to travel the 12 miles to work this morning. nothing like doing the slow race on the highway for several miles.

PM me your address and what time you would like me to show up.

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:39 AM   #20337
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post

Working in my favor, there were railroad tracks near where I got stopped and some uneven pavement/potholes as well so I think I might be OK. I don't expect it to be altogether dismissed necessarily but I will be very surprised if I actually end up with reckless. I'll let you all know how the meeting with the lawyer goes, and again I can't thank you all enough for getting me their info!
Railroads tracks at VCU? damn they must be patrolling VUU too

heal fast BB

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:46 AM   #20338
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,513
10k challenge

Anybody interested in the 10k in April? I'm trying to get motivated to do it and hopefully lose 20lbs.. looking for like minded folks in similar state of disrepair to meet up once a week for moral support, Sat or Sunday morning. I like Henricus down here in Chester, 5 mile loop, flat, wooded, follows the old river channel. We can mix the locations up.

Many of you already know how old/fat I am. Throw in gimpy knees so there's no illusions of burning up the course. At this point I'd be happy to run the whole thing.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:29 AM   #20339
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:

Anybody interested in the 10k in April? I'm trying to get motivated to do it and hopefully lose 20lbs.. looking for like minded folks in similar state of disrepair to meet up once a week for moral support, Sat or Sunday morning. I like Henricus down here in Chester, 5 mile loop, flat, wooded, follows the old river channel. We can mix the locations up.

Many of you already know how old/fat I am. Throw in gimpy knees so there's no illusions of burning up the course. At this point I'd be happy to run the whole thing.
I probably really need to do this. Maybe the old group accountability thing is what I need. I'm fat and have the bad knees too. You are probably still faster than me. I never regained the muscle I lost 10 years ago after breaking my leg and being on crutches for 8 months. I have to ask though, are we going to trade Friday RTE for SAT/SUN walk/run to eat (henceforth known as W/RTE)? I short circuited the food discussion because we all know ADV would within 4 posts turn exercise into a discussion about food.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #20340
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
looking for like minded folks in similar state of disrepair to meet up once a week for moral support, Sat or Sunday morning.
Being that you live a mile from me, I'll jog and throw-up with you...I have been working out hard for months now but I am still soft and can't run due to my fondness for meat and cookies. I have lost ZERO pounds but at least I am down 4 holes on my belt and up one size on my jacket! Nonetheless, I still can't run worth a crap without wanting to puke!
Thanks for the push! I need more jogging and less and