ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #20341
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
BB, sounds like they put you in a Figure-8. That's what they put on me when I broke mine out in MT. Allowed me to ride the bike back home here in VA. Here the doc put me in a sling. Unfortunately, the lack of any shoulder movement allowed it to seize up, and that's when the fun began later.... trying to get movement in it. My age and the fact that I smoked slowed up the process for a trace to even begin to form. It eventually did and I wasn't blessed with a non-union.

http://www.dme-direct.com/ossur-figu...lavicle-splint

Lemme tell ya, by the time I got home from MT, the pads that went under my arm pits were really beginning to get a little "ripe," even tho' I showered in it on the way back. :-)

Hope you heal quickly.

Yikes, that's pretty gnarly. I don't think I could have physically ridden my bike home yesterday, I couldn't move my arm too far. I was pretty sure it was dislocated at first because I could feel the bone in the wrong spot. Had a friend yank my arm while I pushed down on it to try and seat it. Didn't work, so I took a deep breath and did a full windmill motion with my bad arm. Now THAT hurt... Literally brought me to my knees. It was then I decided to let a doctor handle the diagnosis. Haha.

That's the exact same brace I'm wearing right now. I've worn it before actually. This isn't the first time I've broken a clavicle.

Thanks for the well wishes. I hope you guys don't think I'm posting about my fuckups to farm sympathy. I do it because it's fun to share stories and to maybe help others not make the same idiot mistakes I occasionally do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT View Post
Railroads tracks at VCU? damn they must be patrolling VUU too

heal fast BB

Yeah, I was a bit confused there actually. I had gone over some tracks standing up a bit earlier in the ride, and went UNDER some tracks on broad just before I got pulled. So I was a bit mixed up about that, had to double check the map. Don't worry, I'll make sure I know what I'm talking about on my court date

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
Great analysis. Thanks for the recap.

My bet is that with a bit more time on the bike you would have just flattracked that sucker right around the corner.

Have you ever read Twist of the Wrist Vol II by Keith Code? It is one of the Survival Responses that get motorcyclists in trouble. They are hard to over come!!!

I have a copy and you are welcome to borrow it. It is a great book and is an easy read, although Keith is a better rider and teacher than writer.

I actually found this on line...but if you find this book useful you should buy it or at least send Keith some money....

http://files.meetup.com/1510087/A%20...Wrist%20II.pdf

Ric
Yep. I've saved similar rear slides but I think unfamiliarity with the new bike was a factor here. Which is why I should have been much more cautious for the conditions. I have actually read some chapters from twist of the wrist 2. There's also a pretty good instructional video he made based on the book which I found really helpful when I started riding. There's still a lot i have to learn though. For this particular crash I knew exactly what I did wrong right away. Kinda happened in slow motion, I was just too jerky with that throttle.

Thanks for the link! Ever considered doing his World Superbike School? I've talked to some guys that did it back when they were using the Ninja ZX6Rs. Now they have BMW S1000RRs if I remember correctly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
No, that wasn't my point. I guess you seem ride with a lot of "joie de vivre" and that seems to attract a lot of po-po attention. I was wondering if perhaps there was more to that ticket than you had let on.

I know. We've all observed your kind offer to help other riders with their bikes. That is one of the things I love about this community too. I'm a firm believer in Karma and doing the right thing by others too.

No being offended easily is a good thing. Being able to accept other's opinions honestly is great here too. I've never met you other than thru your posting here, but would like to someday. However, just because we are a forum of fellow riders doesn't mean that everyone here holds hands and sings Kumbaya all the time. We are all very different people, who just happen to all like bikes, and getting dirty from time to time.

So for you to understand me, please realize I've only seen your posts for the last month, and you've had 3 interactions with the police already. Twice (your return trip from NC, and yesterday after the accident) you were treated VERY NICELY. One incident, not so much. I just have numerous friends who are police officers, some of whom are members of this forum. Sure there are bad ones out there, and everyone has a bad day, but by and large they are incredible people doing a very difficult job. But with two police stops and one accident in 30 days, resulting in only one ticket, I think you should be very happy with how you've been treated. I was written once for "Failure to Maintain Control", while I was in the ambulance getting treated. Single vehicle, motorcycle high side, no-one and no other property damaged. Just a broken scapula and 4 broken ribs, .... and a ticket. There was no sense in pleading not guilty to that in court.

I'm not trying to tell you how to ride, but just giving you a little honest outside perspective from another rider.

Maybe we can meet up at Poe's some Sunday. I'd like to see that Ninja of yours. I also hope you heal quickly and are back on the bike soon.

jeff
No doubt about it Jeff, variety is the spice of life. I absolutely see where you're coming from and how I might give someone the wrong impression about myself, or even rub them the wrong way. I love police officers who act as public servants and keepers of the peace. I respect officers who respect me, and I am EXTREMELY grateful when an officer uses his or her discretion to make things easier on me. I don't take it for granted, believe me. I also don't see leniency as an excuse to act ride a jerk and expect to get away with it, just for the record.

And I know I haven't been posting here regularly for very long, but I've been a member for 2 years, lurking around. And while my experience on motorcycles is dwarfed by many of you, I have been riding for over 2 years without major incident until now. I've had a number of spills but none resulted in an injury this serious. I've always been able to ride away. That failure to maintain control ticket must have really been a kick in the balls, especially when you're in the back of an ambulance. I know that I've gotten off easy in some cases but I'm glad you understand what a ticket like that feels like.

Thanks for explaining your perspective and listening to mine. I would love to meet up at Poe's on Sunday but I'm probably going to be working. Going back tomorrow actually. But right now I have to go walk to the lawyer's office on Cary and see what we can do in court. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mikey

EDIT: Also, I sold the Ninja for a profit and bought a DRZ400.

bastardbiker screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 10:19 AM
bastardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #20342
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post

Anybody interested in the 10k in April? I'm trying to get motivated to do it and hopefully lose 20lbs.. looking for like minded folks in similar state of disrepair to meet up once a week for moral support, Sat or Sunday morning. I like Henricus down here in Chester, 5 mile loop, flat, wooded, follows the old river channel. We can mix the locations up.

Many of you already know how old/fat I am. Throw in gimpy knees so there's no illusions of burning up the course. At this point I'd be happy to run the whole thing.
I am down for losing the 20 lbs, but you will have only my moral support on the run. My knees are titanium, and running is not authorised.

In fact, the end of running made me gain the weight.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:28 AM   #20343
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Anyone with a longer ladder e.g. 24' willing to help a brother out that is afraid of roofs? .
I have a 40' ladder, but I'm in Quinton.

Quote:
On another note, I rode the DL to work this morning since my car is at the shop for state inspection. I swear I won't ride it on 64/95 downtown anymore. Every time there is a traffic jam. Took almost an hour to travel the 12 miles to work this morning. nothing like doing the slow race on the highway for several miles.
There is a special spot in hell for the person who made the decision to combine those two highways through the city.

I have the area bookmarked on google maps on my phone. It has been very helpful with traffic info. I go home through the east side intersection.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #20344
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,095
Who wants to be the next GS Giant!?

I signed up for the Dual Sport Foundations class at the BMW performance center May 6-8th.
They teach according to your skill level. No matter what your skill level is, you WILL leave being a better, more confident rider. The cost includes a BMW GS of your choice (i.e. 650, 800, GS, GS Adventure).

I am looking for someone to come along with me.

Click here for more info: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...otorcycle-dual
Old 01-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #20345
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
...Maybe the old group accountability thing is what I need...
same here.. after holidays I have been planning to start thinking about the possibility of getting in shape. So far I have done nada. As in nada damn thing. People waiting for me to show up is a good motivator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Being that you live a mile from me, I'll jog and throw-up with you...I have been working out hard for months now but I am still soft and can't run due to my fondness for meat and cookies...
Have long standing family membership at the Y. Normally go a few times a week. Since Jan 1 I've been twice. (including just now ) I did manage to jog up there which is 1.1 mile do some pushups/situps, machines etc and jog back. Have not puked yet which is surprising because I weighed in at 241!!

This Saturday morning is out for me. Anybody want to meet at the park Sunday AM? BrendaP might also be in. Eddy any evening you feel like it give me a call.

This is good.. let's do it.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #20346
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,928
Quote:
I signed up for the Dual Sport Foundations class at the BMW performance center May 6-8th.
They teach according to your skill level. No matter what your skill level is, you WILL leave being a better, more confident rider. The cost includes a BMW GS of your choice (i.e. 650, 800, GS, GS Adventure).

Good timing Eddy! Man the end of the month came quickly......

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #20347
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:

So does that cost include hotel or no?
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:09 PM   #20348
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Quote:
So does that cost include hotel or no?
Half of the hotel if you don't mind sharing with me... Just do it! You only live once, you work hard and make good money! Come on! It will be a blast!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #20349
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
Half of the hotel if you don't mind sharing with me... Just do it! You only live once, you work hard and make good money! Come on! It will be a blast!
We will see, just had my review and find out about raises/bonuses at the end of Feb and should have taxes done by then to know if I owe. I do have plans for that money though to get me eyes fixed if possible and the rest to pay off some various debts.

On the other hand it is probably what I need as I've managed to psych myself out so much this past fall.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #20350
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
This Saturday morning is out for me. Anybody want to meet at the park Sunday AM? BrendaP might also be in. Eddy any evening you feel like it give me a call.

Pick a time for Sunday morning. I assume it would be at Henricus Park? Having to face thr group on the weekend might make me actually work out during the week.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #20351
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
For a fraction of the bmw class you could rent a cabin at hatfield mccoy and do the School of Hard Knocks.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #20352
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
same here.. after holidays I have been planning to start thinking about the possibility of getting in shape. So far I have done nada. As in nada damn thing. People waiting for me to show up is a good motivator.

Have long standing family membership at the Y. Normally go a few times a week. Since Jan 1 I've been twice. (including just now ) I did manage to jog up there which is 1.1 mile do some pushups/situps, machines etc and jog back. Have not puked yet which is surprising because I weighed in at 241!!

Probably not what some of you guys would ever consider doing but I have lost 40 pounds just by not eating pork (bacon, ham, hotdogs, sausage, etc) and beef, cut out diet soda's (My MD was pretty adamant about that one), and limit snacking at night. Smaller portions are the key. We eat a lot of fish (Talapia, Salmon, Tuna, etc), Turkey and chicken, and veggies. Snacks of almonds, apples, fruit etc. Can still have the occasional sweets/beer here and there. I haven't been on any kind of diet just changed my eating behavior. Exercise has mainly been working in the yard and lifting weights 3x a week for 1/2hr, hiking, and walking.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:06 PM   #20353
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
I do have plans for that money though to get me eyes fixed if possible and the rest to pay off some various debts.

Sounds like you have your priorities right.

My eyesight 1 day after cataract lens surgery was 20/20. I go for the left eye this coming Monday. This will be the first time in 50 years I won't have to wear glasses! Looking forward to it!!

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:12 PM   #20354
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
BB- did some research on from my past life...I actually have a couple friends that have had these inserted for clavicle repair & after a week they had to slowdown cause they felt great. Don't have a plate & don't let it heal on its own. You will not gain full range if motion or with palate it will irritate the shit out of you.
http://www.sonomaorthopedics.com/upl...ndium_iPad.pdf

Dan, Eddy, & PP-& Jeremy
Remember Nicole does nutrition & fitness programs...you would tell by my fat ass, but if you need ideas she would love to help. Maybe I should take advantage of that...
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:24 PM   #20355
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Quote:
For a fraction of the bmw class you could rent a cabin at hatfield mccoy and do the School of Hard Knocks.
I think that's the same school as the school of open fractures, orthopaedic consults, plates, screws and trauma surgery.