ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #20536
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Maybe if it was clay or PVC pipe I was dealing with. I have cast iron sewer pipes. I doubt even after digging things up that I would be able to cut it with a hack saw. At this point I'm waiting to see what the plumber the home warranty company is sending out says.
hacksaw? You can cut it with a sawzall.. ask me how I know.

+1 on the wait for home warranty guys. My guess is that if it's covered at all expect to see the root clearing guys, NOT a replacement sewer line.

but like others have said, you can limp along with periodic power auger treatment for years if not forever. also there's stuff you can put in to kill/retard root growth. "rootx" is one.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #20537
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Maybe if it was clay or PVC pipe I was dealing with. I have cast iron sewer pipes. I doubt even after digging things up that I would be able to cut it with a hack saw. At this point I'm waiting to see what the plumber the home warranty company is sending out says.
Cut it with a hammer and a cold chisel. Basically score it all the way around.

Or go rent one of these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MACjeUJx2c
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #20538
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,046
Guys, I hope you are having fun and are safe. Call me what you want, but I gotta bail.

Looks like I will busy with the Pinewood Derby until lunch tomorrow and I forgot that it's also my best friend's birthday party tomorrow night. And besides that, a gentleman from TN is picking up my GS this evening...I am NOT driving to Jeff farm on the DRZ without heated gear, a windsheild or saddlebags to carry my stuff!

Maybe next time, I'll text you all and try to leave a message on the answering machine at the farm! I will pay may share of the cabin and buy a round the next time we are out!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #20539
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Guys, I hope you are having fun and are safe. Call me what you want, but I gotta bail.

Looks like I will busy with the Pinewood Derby until lunch tomorrow and I forgot that it's also my best friend's birthday party tomorrow night. And besides that, a gentleman from TN is picking up my GS this evening...I am NOT driving to Jeff farm on the DRZ without heated gear, a windsheild or saddlebags to carry my stuff!

Maybe next time, I'll text you all and try to leave a message on the answering machine at the farm! I will pay may share of the cabin and buy a round the next time we are out!
Did you forget you were selling your GS? As far as heated gear on the DRZ, that is what they make those hot hands packs for. I don't have much to say about the windshield aspect. Just waiting to see what you buy next.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #20540
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Did you forget you were selling your GS? As far as heated gear on the DRZ, that is what they make those hot hands packs for. I don't have much to say about the windshield aspect. Just waiting to see what you buy next.
I use the MRA Roadshield on my DR650 and like it. I fold it down flat, towards me, for riding off road so it does not try and hit me in the face or throat. I have KTM folding mirrors on my bike and the shield lays down on top of those no problem. The shield takes all the pressure off my chest and I point the wind blast at my neck and it is quiet and smooth. They sell a smaller Streetshield too.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #20541
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
The guy called and said that he rented a trailer and is driving up (9 hours each way!) today to buy the GS, cash. Pondering what to get next...800 Tiger? 800GS? Super Ten? Crazy farkled Wee-Strom? Stick with just the DRZ for a while? Pretty street only bike? Who knows?

I am coming to the realization that there is no "perfect" bike... You HAVE to have several!
1. Big, comfy, fast, long distance, dual sport (GS, KTM 990, Tiger, Tenere, Wee)
2. 220 pound MX/single trail bike. (2-stroke KTM, YZ or trials bike)
3. Toy/Tinker bike (any pre-1975 BMW, Honda, Ducati or newer Ural)
4. "Lust" bike (anything red and Italian, new CB1100, Road King, V-Rod)
5. Ratty track only bike for weekends at VIR (SV650 or R6)

About $50,000 should do it, LOL! Did I miss anything?!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #20542
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,857
Quote:
The guy called and said that he rented a trailer and is driving up (9 hours each way!) today to buy the GS, cash. Pondering what to get next...800 Tiger? 800GS? Super Ten? Crazy farkled Wee-Strom? Stick with just the DRZ for a while? Pretty street only bike? Who knows?

I am coming to the realization that there is no "perfect" bike... You HAVE to have several!
1. Big, comfy, fast, long distance, dual sport (GS, KTM 990, Tiger, Tenere, Wee)

I'd skip the newer Ural and if you wanted a side car Rig get a bike that can actually haul the thing with some power. Top speed of the Ural with a passenger would be maybe 60 mph. I had a 2009 Ural Tourist and although it was fun on country roads with the dog/grandkids that was about all it was good for in my humble opinion.

Happy bike hunting Eddy!

jh

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #20543
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I use the MRA Roadshield on my DR650 and like it...
I think that MRA is a great shield for a dual sport. I rode Shannons DR a couple times with that MRA and really liked it. The cheap bastard in me just cannot stomach paying $150 for a pie plate sized piece of plastic and two mounting arms, or I might have one too.

Most of the time I'm completely happy with my little freebie homebrew shield, but this time of year wish it was slightly bigger. Trying to come up with something using an old weestrom shield now.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #20544
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:

You have it about right but may have to work about 36 hours a day to afford that list. I love a lot about the 800GS but it has too many issues. A friend of a friend owns two of them. He liked the first one so much he bought another. It was for his son to ride I think. Anyway, he took one across the continent to the Redwoods in a toyhauler to go riding and when he got there it would not start. The fuel pump had failed, AGAIN! That would tick me off a little. I also read about cylinder trouble and other things. It was too expensive with potential problems for me so I went with the Tiger 800XC for my "Big, comfy, fast, long distance, dual sport". I love my Tiger, but wish it had a bigger tank. I was going to get the new Wee when it came to the US in white, but I was worried it would be too weak coming from the FJR I had. The Tiger is a great bang for the buck and I knew it would not be disappointing like the Wee might have been. Good luck searching for your second bike WHEN you go that route. I doubt the DRZ will satisfy your hunger, alone, forever. I have seen guys find desperate sellers and snatch up great deals and ride them a bit before selling them for a profit. Usually not highly desired models though. Nice way to test ride or get on something faster for a while. Some risk and cash involved.

I am meeting an inmate Saturday at 1PM to try on some gloves he has for sale at the McDonald's @ 288 and 360. I plan to do a little riding after that if anyone wants to go for a spin.

Dirtmonkey8 screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 02:45 PM Reason: Saturday. Not Sunday.
Dirtmonkey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #20545
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
I think that MRA is a great shield for a dual sport. I rode Shannons DR a couple times with that MRA and really liked it. The cheap bastard in me just cannot stomach paying $150 for a pie plate sized piece of plastic and two mounting arms, or I might have one too.

Most of the time I'm completely happy with my little freebie homebrew shield, but this time of year wish it was slightly bigger. Trying to come up with something using an old weestrom shield now.
$150??? Looks like it is $95 if you follow this link:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-r...rt-motorcycles

I don't remember where I bought mine or what I paid... Shannon had a different shield at first that was loud and then he road mine and switched. I am sure he sold the first one, but you could check with him. Loud though...
Old 02-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #20546
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
$150??? Looks like it is $95 if you follow this link:t

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-r...rt-motorcycles

I don't remember where I bought mine or what I paid... Shannon had a different shield at first that was loud and then he road mine and switched. I am sure he sold the first one, but you could check with him. Loud though...
The "universal mounting kit " is extra $45.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #20547
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
The "universal mounting kit " is extra $45.
Oh and OUCH. Great for long trips/highway speeds though. Show me a pic of your home made one.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #20548
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
Oh and OUCH. Great for long trips/highway speeds though. Show me a pic of your home made one.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #20549
Downer
Downer

Oddometer: 194
I hope you are bringing the tiger to look at the gloves

I would like to see it. The only ones I have seen were a couple of years ago at the bike show in NYC with Eddie A. I am a bit sensitive about the F800GS comments though.

I will be bringing the kids with me since my wifeis teaching a class or I would join you for a ride.

See you tomorrow.

Quote:
You have it about right but may have to work about 36 hours a day to afford that list. I love a lot about the 800GS but it has too many issues. A friend of a friend owns two of them. He liked the first one so much he bought another. It was for his son to ride I think. Anyway, he took one across the continent to the Redwoods in a toyhauler to go riding and when he got there it would not start. The fuel pump had failed, AGAIN! That would tick me off a little. I also read about cylinder trouble and other things. It was too expensive with potential problems for me so I went with the Tiger 800XC for my "Big, comfy, fast, long distance, dual sport". I love my Tiger, but wish it had a bigger tank. I was going to get the new Wee when it came to the US in white, but I was worried it would be too weak coming from the FJR I had. The Tiger is a great bang for the buck and I knew it would not be disappointing like the Wee might have been. Good luck searching for your second bike WHEN you go that route. I doubt the DRZ will satisfy your hunger, alone, forever. I have seen guys find desperate sellers and snatch up great deals and ride them a bit before selling them for a profit. Usually not highly desired models though. Nice way to test ride or get on something faster for a while. Some risk and cash involved.

I am meeting an inmate Sunday at 1PM to try on some gloves he has for sale at the McDonald's @ 288 and 360. I plan to do a little riding after that if anyone wants to go for a spin.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #20550
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downer View Post
I would like to see it. The only ones I have seen were a couple of years ago at the bike show in NYC with Eddie A. I am a bit sensitive about the F800GS comments though.

I will be bringing the kids with me since my wifeis teaching a class or I would join you for a ride.

See you tomorrow.
I am bringing the Tiger and I apologize for the F800 comments. I really really like the F800 and if some of the stuff I heard and read had not scared me off I probably would have tried to buy one. I will be the first to admit that my Tiger is an F800 wannabe and does not look near as good.

I am glad you said "see you tomorrow"... For some reason I was thinking we were meeting Sunday. See you tomorrow.

Dirtmonkey8 screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 02:48 PM Reason: Saturday meeting
Dirtmonkey8 is offline   Reply With Quote