ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #21121
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by StorckWhip View Post
Your rally sounds like fun! I live in the 'burg but am relatively familiar with the roads around New Kent. My friend lives on Tunstall Rd and we ride a bunch in that area.
I didn't realize so many guys on here live in NK. I just moved from Carytown to Midlothian, but my folks still live in NK. I will work on the NK Rally soon. Maybe I can try to find time to re-cut one of my trails to add a more technical twist.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #21122
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
For those that RTE on occasion, Hog Wild in Toano (Upper James City County) is closing Feb 28th 2013. No news if they will reopen someplace else yet.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #21123
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,698
Speaking of RTE.....what's up for Friday
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #21124
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,340
Kurt hasn't shared this with ya'll yet, but Ron and Libby Kaly have recently sold the Natural Bridge KOA. From the sound of Ron's note, the new owners are great people, young and energetic, and ready for a new challenge in life.

I, for one, will be sad to see them go. They have been the most gracious hosts over the 11-12 years COG has used their place for our annual Brrr Ride in November, as well as other events throughout the year. It was truly appreciated and they will be missed - a bunch - by all of us.

I know some of the local BMW groups have also used their facility on occasion, which is the reason I am posting this up.

I promised Ron that we'd try not to be too "rough" on the the new owners, Ken and Carrie Conger, during their “initiation” period with us bunch of biker trash. If their personalities are anything like the Kaly's, we'll be in good hands.

Carry on...........

Old 02-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #21125
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
I can't keep up with Mickey in the twisties or with camping gear. I get real close but he keeps adding all the good stuff staying one step ahead. I did challenge his wimpy flash light last time we got together then Greg pulled his out. Must have been 2000+ lumens! Blinded us all.

One thing I will never buy is a Kermit chair. He keeps pushing but I just use his when he's not looking.

I guess I need to try a hammock sometime this summer. Looks interesting but uncomfortable to me.

I can't wait for spring. Come on Spring!

Eddy ..... Don't buy that KTM!
All this talk caused me to go trolling over at REI during lunch.. I need a new pad and a more manageble sized tent.

I bought a cheap hammock last year off Amazon just to see what the fuss was about.. and i am sold on it. Only used it maybe 6 times but it was excellent sleeping in the heat - much cooler than sweating in a tent and easy to carry and set up.. For cool spring weather I'll stick with a tent/pad.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #21126
SnoreMachine
ɹǝdɯɐɔ ʞɔoɯɯɐɥ

Oddometer: 80
You *knew* I was eyeballing that stove! I've been looking at that table for a while, but looks kinda bulky rolled up. What's your experience with it over time? I saw this one australian guy who made a table top that would quick connect to his camera tripod. The nice thing would be sitting in a chair he could tilt it for his laptop, ipad, or writing. One of many "I need to get to" projects. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
For me its no sporkes period end of conversation.... I make it a point to carry a good comfortable chair. Is amazing how much you miss a good relaxing chair after spending a few days parked on a picnic table.... PS: If you haven't found SteepandCheap.com you should check it out.
I'm with you on this. No friggin plastic or plexan forks either. If you can't lift a 20oz steak with it, it ain't worth a hill of beans.

I have a kermit XL. Big and bulky to pack but comfy and easy on the knees. I got my wife a butterfly chair. Now I am looking at one of those Helinox Chairs. REI has a helinox chair knock off, but the top weight is 250lbs as opposed to 320lbs for the helinox. Anyone have the Helinox that could provide a review? Particularly, sitting in it with ride pants & armor.

Thanks for the website recommendation. More gear.

Quote:
Anyone using a hammock or that hangs a trap should take a look at whoopieslings.com.
+1 on this. whoopieslings.com has excellent customer service. Big tarps for groups or cooking can be tied down with the amsteel, dynameen, or zingit lines. Amsteel also is great for tow lines and it packs smaller than mule tape. A climbing carabiner + a whoopiesling makes an excellent tie down without the need for a soft-tie either.

Quote:
I still cannot believe people buy thermarest pads when a exped is the same price, and if you own a thermarest or thinking about buying one you need to check out an exped!
+ 1 on this. Went through all the thermarest pads, and I have owned and tried almost all the exped pads. I keep a neo-air on the bike in case I need to go to ground or add in a vapor barrier.

BTW- I have an exped 10 long for sale... most comfy extremely warm. A little long for my taste but for ya'll who ground pound in tents and car camp, its great. Self inflating too, so no huffing-puffing or doing inflate-the-bag calisthenics.

Quote:
I guess I need to try a hammock sometime this summer. Looks interesting but uncomfortable to me.
Most comfortable sleep I've had, even over my bed at home. There are many different one's too, so try several before deciding.

SnoreMachine screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 03:42 PM
SnoreMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #21127
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Yinz want "real" camping gear, talk to Teeter. He's about as hardcore as it gets.

http://www.tru-burn.com/

Surprised he hasn't chimed in.

I've been slacking on this forum something fierce! I can't seem to get caught up.

Man... tru-burn.com needs some new entries. I'm hitting WONRT again in a few weeks and the left coast syndicate is moving back east so that will be good motivation. I made it out west in November for a quick BP trip -- I'll have to post that on tru-burn.

I couldn't call myself hardcore, but I do love getting out there. As a backpacker my gear is super light, but it definitely leans more towards hiking than riding. For example, my tent forgoes tent poles because it uses trekking poles for the frame. That's perfect for backpacking because you are already carrying the trekking poles. When I use it for moto-camping I have to remember to bring them every time. Otherwise, most of the gear is the same I guess. It was nice that I was a hiker long before I got into motorcycle touring. I didn't have to buy any gear and everything I have is light and packs very small.

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #21128
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter View Post
I've been slacking on this forum something fierce! I can't seem to get caught up.

Man... tru-burn.com needs some new entries. I'm hitting WONRT again in a few weeks and the left coast syndicate is moving back east so that will be good motivation. I made it out west in November for a quick BP trip -- I'll have to post that on tru-burn.

I couldn't call myself hardcore, but I do love getting out there. As a backpacker my gear is super light, but it definitely leans more towards hiking than riding. For example, my tent forgoes tent poles because it uses trekking poles for the frame. That's perfect for backpacking because you are already carrying the trekking poles. When I use it for moto-camping I have to remember to bring them every time. Otherwise, most of the gear is the same I guess. It was nice that I was a hiker long before I got into motorcycle touring. I didn't have to buy any gear and everything I have is light and packs very small.
LOL!

Just trying to inspire a little motivation, and to provide a source to edumacate these "rookies."

Old 02-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #21129
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,411
Quote:
One last camping tip before I have to go back to work. Anyone using a hammock or that hangs a trap should take a look at whoopieslings.com. These little rope things allow you to quickly and easily adjust ridge lines and hammocks without having to tie a single knot. Worth there weight in gold, oh and they are super light weight. If you cannot tell I am a sucker for ultralight camping stuff. Its amazing how all this junk adds up, then you have a gorilla on your back when your trying to outrun Eddy / Mickey etc on a gravel / twisty road.

Oh and Madstrom it seems like every time I camp with you I have to go home a buy something new. I still cannot believe people buy thermarest pads when a exped is the same price, and if you own a thermarest or thinking about buying one you need to check out an exped!
Amen to that brother. I also have a Byers TriLite Cot I take when I really go for comfort. Combine that with the Exped Mat a Zero Degree Marmot goose down bag in a Marmot LimeLight 3P tent and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! http://www.byerofmaine.com/products/...ilite-cot.html

I also take my Kermit when going for comfort. I recently got a 24" EastWing camp axe and a 21" Sven folding saw so camp fire wood is not a problem.
Oh! ... by the way, Sthil is coming out with a "baby" chain saw with like an 8" or 10" bar ...

I have the Rei 2 person Titainium cook set. All my cooking stuff packs down to the size of a small sleeping bag stuffsack. set. I don't have the roll-up table yet ... I think I really need one of them. Hmmmm ... I'll have to check Rei shortly

MADSTROM screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 02:14 PM
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #21130
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Yinz want "real" camping gear, talk to Teeter. He's about as hardcore as it gets.

http://www.tru-burn.com/

Surprised he hasn't chimed in.

Yeah but, he's a serious back packer. He can't carry as much as we can
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #21131
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
Yeah but, he's a serious back packer. He can't carry as much as we can
You might be surprised.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #21132
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Speaking of RTE.....what's up for Friday
Good question.

All ears................

Old 02-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #21133
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
I can't keep up with Mickey in the twisties or with camping gear. I get real close but he keeps adding all the good stuff staying one step ahead. I did challenge his wimpy flash light last time we got together then Greg pulled his out. Must have been 2000+ lumens! Blinded us all.

One thing I will never buy is a Kermit chair. He keeps pushing but I just use his when he's not looking.

I can't wait for spring. Come on Spring!

Eddy ..... Don't buy that KTM!
A couple of years ago at the Sherando Rally Chuck had a chair strapped to his bike just a tiny bit smaller than this one, so yah Chuck, You need a Kermit chair!

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #21134
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,154
Ktm sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
The jaguar is stalking it's prey and is about to pounce! Stay tuned...

Gabriel is going to be very happy in the morning! All I have heard that boy say for the past several months is "KTM, KTM, KTM!" He has a very nice PW 50 but his skills have surpassed the bike's suspension. Thanks to everyone who has PM'ed me links to various bikes on CL.

This is his "old" bike, a Yamaha PW50.

This is what I found for him at a GREAT price today! These tiny things are $3700 NEW! Needless to say, you all know me and can safely assume that I got it for MUCH, MUCH less...

It's quite a jump in suspension, brakes and height! I went with the 50cc as the 65cc has way too much power for a 48 pound boy and the 65 requires shifting gears and clutch use. He suffers from SLS (Short Leg Syndrome) just like his dad so I still need to lower the rear suspension and drop the triple trees a bit more. He is going to go NUTS!

I might keep him on the PW for the 2013 season and let him get used to the KTM for next year...Who knows, he may ride it this weekend and tell me to sell the PW...

Look in the background, my garage is full of THOUSANDS of Girl Scout cookies! What you see is less than 20% of the cookies!

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 08:31 PM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:21 AM   #21135
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
kool

What kid wouldnt go nuts!!!!!! all I had was a MonkeyWards minibike with a paddle brake, watch out KTMS have a way of multiplying