ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #21391
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
You guys are killing me.

We call it the mud run because its nasty and muddy. Add a lot of water and its even more interesting. Throw in the nasty car ruts below the water line and it almost guarantees a mud bath for some one. If you don't have at least a 70/30 tire, (TKC'S are recommended) don't go.

Bring your GoPro's. Bring your waterproof boots and gear.

Jeremy ..... I hope your in the garage working on that tire.
Oh, and plan on Chuck laughing his arse off as you drag yourself out of the mud puddle!

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:25 AM   #21392
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Sunday is going to be my day. Start w Poe's and go from there. Either hit the road or local trails, I could go either way. Supposed to be 66F!
I'll see you at Poe's. The suspension for my YZ won't be back till Tuesday so I'll be on the 800. This weekend will be the first good riding weather since....
Old 03-09-2013, 04:34 AM   #21393
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 855
Mud Ride

Jeremy ..... great job. This should be a lot of fun.

John, of course I will be laughing but then I'll get off my bike and help pick it up.

Im guessing that Post Office is on 14 just north of 33? If thats correct lets meet there at 1:00 pm. It should be nice and warm by then. Lets just make sure there is a before and after photo of the group.

Im riding up to Morton's around 9:30 to pick up a part. I should be back in N. Richmond by noon with a departure from here around noon. I usually ride out 360 to 30 then up through Walkerton to 14.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #21394
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,890
Where's Jeff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
Jeff must have lost power out there. He hasn't posted in 2 or 3 days now.
Had nothing to say. This a MC forum and we are doing everything but that. Didn't see the need to post.

For you all who really like to get out, I'd remind you that the Highland County annual Sugar Maple Festival starts today. T and I will be going over to McDowell and slamming some warm and crispy inside, dripping with syrupy maple glaze outside, fresh, hot doughnuts today. Trust me, we've tried them all over the county, but the maple doughnuts at the Sugar Tree Country Store in McDowell are the best by far. It should be near 60F here today and the roads are clear! It is worth the ride.

Oh, and both McDowell and Bluegrass are serving buckwheat pancake breakfasts on Sat and Sun, for the next two weekends. Brown gravy on buckwheat pancakes. Mmmmm. Guy, they are calling your name!

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:00 AM   #21395
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
I'm probably not riding mud either today, even tho I have TKCs... Nicole I not up for that & I need to get her riding the 650 for before a couple trips to the mountains.

I know btBlue might be heading easy for a ride, so Stork or drwhip if up guys want to ride without mud, let me know.
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:37 AM   #21396
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Had nothing to say. This a MC forum and we are doing everything but that. Didn't see the need to post.

For you all who really like to get out, I'd remind you that the Highland County annual Sugar Maple Festival starts today. T and I will be going over to McDowell and slamming some warm and crispy inside, dripping with syrupy maple glaze outside, fresh, hot doughnuts today. Trust me, we've tried them all over the county, but the maple doughnuts at the Sugar Tree Country Store in McDowell are the best by far. It should be near 60F here today and the roads are clear! It is worth the ride.

Oh, and both McDowell and Bluegrass are serving buckwheat pancake breakfasts on Sat and Sun, for the next two weekends. Brown gravy on buckwheat pancakes. Mmmmm. Guy, they are calling your name!

jeff
LOL! I can hear them, but gonna pass. Will "pace" myself and wait until the Brrr Ride in Nov.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #21397
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,688
Mud road will be like this for the most part. Bring a snorkel.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #21398
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 820
Instead of going all the way out to 14 to get muddy does anyone want to ride to New Kent and ride similar stuff along with miles of dirt that are not quite as water logged all on private property. Location is near Rt 60 and Rt 106. We could meet in Bottoms Bridge or Colonial Downs. Anyone up to try something new? If not, I will make my way to the P.O. at 14 and 33. I guess I will have to take 64 to make it in time. zzzzzzz
Old 03-09-2013, 06:19 AM   #21399
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Instead of going all the way out to 14 to get muddy does anyone want to ride to New Kent and ride similar stuff along with miles of dirt that are not quite as water logged all on private property. Location is near Rt 60 and Rt 106. We could meet in Bottoms Bridge or Colonial Downs. Anyone up to try something new? If not, I will make my way to the P.O. at 14 and 33. I guess I will have to take 64 to make it in time. zzzzzzz
Pretty sure Chuck already left. If there is too much water on the Mud road, then I'll punt. I'll check back here before I leave around noon.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #21400
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I'd be all over this if I didn't have to be a responsible dad this morning.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:43 AM   #21401
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,619
I'm up for some riding today...Dirtmonkey's plan sounds good...the mud run is fun but its kinda BTDT.....I'll figure out what to do sooner or later :cool:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #21402
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
I'd be all over this if I didn't have to be a responsible dad this morning.
Me too! The mud road is definitely worth checking out if you've never been. But its just a dirt road with big puddles- an hour away. Once youve been there a few times... There's power lines a mile from here that are more fun Imo.

Id love to check out new stuff in new kent

New topic..anybody ever run a tw302 rear?
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #21403
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Me too! The mud road is definitely worth checking out if you've never been. But its just a dirt road with big puddles- an hour away. Once youve been there a few times... There's power lines a mile from here that are more fun Imo.

Anyone who had stock tires on a WR, and me currently. Described as 50/50 seem pretty good onroad. More grip than the shinko 700 off road. Nothing to report on tire life yet but on the WRR forums people praise them as being street friendly and good for 6k of mixed riding.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #21404
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,433
tw302

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Anyone who had stock tires on a WR, and me currently. Described as 50/50 seem pretty good onroad. More grip than the shinko 700 off road. Nothing to report on tire life yet but on the WRR forums people praise them as being street friendly and good for 6k of mixed riding.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of consistent reports on these tires.. People love or hate them. Seems like the more serious dirt crowd that hates on 'em. As far as mileage I see claims anywhere from 2500 - 6500 miles. I might just have to get one and see for myself. I was a-ok with the 700 but they're only good for 3000 - 3500 miles for me.

I never seem to get the miles out of tires that other people do.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #21405
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 820
Quote:

Exactly except for me it is more than two hours away unless I use the interstate. Not sure who Chuck is but any chance he will be in contact with anyone or look at this forum while he is out? I am getting ready to gear up and leave now. I am heading to the Shell station on RT 60 in Bottoms Bridge and seeing if anyone meets me there. The Shell gas station is just East of 249 "New Kent hwy" on Rt 60. I think it will be pushing 12:30 before I get there. When I get there I will check on here to see if anyone is coming as well as hang out for a bit to see if anyone can make it.