ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #21706
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Soda-blasting also works well. Not too abrasive, but gets rid of the crud build-up and leaves a sparkling finish.

I wish I had a blast cabinet like yours. It would get a lot of use by me. I hate crud buildup.
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #21707
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
I've never considered using one, but that video of "where the F#ck is the bike" got me rattled. For the TAT this summer, I might consider it for Joe and I. That way his family could track our progress too.

Anyone here use one, and could offer me some advice? You can email me or PM me to keep it out of the way of the food discussions......

jeff
You might want to look into a satellite phone as well. You could call for help from virtually anywhere.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #21708
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
Also, as you clean stainless steel, always use Scotchbrite or a woven material, never a wire wheel. If you can find a stainless brissel wire wheel, that would work, but woven products for cleaning are best.

If you use a carbon wire wheel(a standard wire wheel), the carbon and iron from it will deposit on the surface and you will get surface rust. It does not penetrate and cause harmful corrosion, but just cause it to look bad faster.

I didn't think I would ever use my past life experiences for good...

HAPPY ST. PATTIES DAY!!!

7 years old, 67,000+ miles

Old 03-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #21709
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 901
SPOT vs ACR

Jeff. I found it. ACR. It may do more of what you want and no yearly subscription. I think there are multiple models of each.

http://www.theaccessroad.com/08/spot...ger-vs-acr-plb

Here are all the ACR models....

http://www.acrartex.com/products/cat...cator-beacons/

Mickey ..... that bike sure is clean. I think it needs to get out for a spin soon.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #21710
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Daytona 200 on Speed now!

Daytona 200 on Speed (ch 242) now
Old 03-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #21711
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
I've never considered using one, but that video of "where the F#ck is the bike" got me rattled. For the TAT this summer, I might consider it for Joe and I. That way his family could track our progress too.

Anyone here use one, and could offer me some advice? You can email me or PM me to keep it out of the way of the food discussions......

jeff
Aw c'mon. We all know you like food.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #21712
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,666
Hubers moto carriers custom made...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #21713
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Pin lock shields work.
This, mine works perfectly!
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #21714
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 901
Tapatalk photo test......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #21715
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
P.S. I hate the weatherman! It's been gorgeous all day! At least the yard looks much better. If its nice tomorrow, we'll be headed to the CCDR track.
Hope you love the weatherman again. I was up and out early this morning in the cold wet.. Made me think about how much it would suck to roll up you wet tent and stow your all wet gear and ride home in the 37 degree rain.. It sure was nice as yesterday afternoon for a while though!

Mike, thanks for the thermarest offer, I'll call to set up an after work drive by early this week. Any last two-man carrying to do, I'm your boy.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #21716
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Beaubier on a Yamaha won the Daytona 200 today. But the big news was that two, not one but two, women finished in the top 10. Wow. That is great.

Daytona 200 results

jeff
NO SPOILERS!!!!!

Sure glad you don't watch F1 racing.....BTW Schumacher won.
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #21717
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Call me crazy but with all the talk last week about Gortex and how to treat it I decided to test my gear this morning in the pouring rain. So out I went. Before I could get to the highway my face shield fogged up and I couldn't see two cars ahead of me. Back to the house I went.

To make a long story short I gathered all the anti-fog crap I could find in the house. Motorcycle, scuba, car .... anything I had that said anti-fog. After five or six trips out and back into the rain the ONLY thing that worked was Cascade dishwashing soap. I put one drop on the tip of my finger, rubbed it into the inside of the shield and bam .... even in the pouring rain it never fogged.

In regard to the Gortex gear, everything did well. From the gloves to the boots all I had was a small wet spot on my left forearm. Since the rain didn't bead up like its supposed to do I guess its time to re-treat the Gortex. I love my Sidi Boots!

Its time for some green beer.
I've heard of the dishsoap thing before but I always thought it might make things look "smeary." I was having problems on the way back from the Twin Valley Rally last year because I had a single layer shield.
After that I was at Morton's and bought a Fog City adhesive shield like a pin lock but it adheres to the inside of the shield. It works perfectly. As a matter of fact, the next time I'm at Morton's I'm going to pick one up just to be sure I have one if I need it.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #21718
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Is anyone going to be passing through New Kent anytime soon? I have a KTM jacket that I need to get to Mike before he leaves. Todd?

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #21719
jwray76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
dish soap is all I have ever used and it works very well. As long as you only use a dot and really rub it in then there is no smearing or other vision issues.

Also the crappy weather today definitely confirmed we made the right decision with calling off the camping.
jwray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #21720
Opie-wan
adventure nugget

Oddometer: 2
Anti-fog

Originally Posted by skychs
Call me crazy but with all the talk last week about Gortex and how to treat it I decided to test my gear this morning in the pouring rain. So out I went. Before I could get to the highway my face shield fogged up and I couldn't see two cars ahead of me. Back to the house I went.

To make a long story short I gathered all the anti-fog crap I could find in the house. Motorcycle, scuba, car .... anything I had that said anti-fog. After five or six trips out and back into the rain the ONLY thing that worked was Cascade dishwashing soap. I put one drop on the tip of my finger, rubbed it into the inside of the shield and bam .... even in the pouring rain it never fogged.

In regard to the Gortex gear, everything did well. From the gloves to the boots all I had was a small wet spot on my left forearm. Since the rain didn't bead up like its supposed to do I guess its time to re-treat the Gortex. I love my Sidi Boots!

Its time for some green beer.

I bought this product a while back.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...r-Inserts.aspx
Have had no fogging at all since installing it.
It didn't, however repel muddy water I encountered close up on my first ride with Todd and Chuck.

Opie-wan screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 06:44 AM
Opie-wan is offline   Reply With Quote