ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #21766
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter View Post
I'm another pinlock user. UpSt8 recommended it while on the Brrr ride a few years ago. It's pretty amazing. Now I just need pinlock for my glasses/sunglasses... That would be cool and awesomely dorky looking. I guess I could try the potato idea. I've heard that it can cause blindness and hairy palms though..

RTE Friday? If suggestions are needed, I like Thai Flavour in the Innsbrook area. Best (and hottest) basil rice I've ever had.
Tony, this sounds great to me, and unless someone else come up with an alternative plan, I'll be there. Already plugged into the GPS.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #21767
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
This is off-topic but I finally uploaded the video of me going back to the power lines and crossing the road headed east (towards the fairgrounds parking lot, it looks like) but I wasn't able to get very far before it was so muddy/marshy that I didn't want to risk getting stuck out there alone. Especially after almost getting stuck proper in a creek minutes earlier.

If you don't want to sit through a 30 minute video, the good stuff is right at the beginning where I almost lose it into a metal fence, not 30 seconds in, then when I drop the bike going to fast on a crossing at 4:15, and finally when I ride into a mud-pit and stay there a while at 8:45. I'd edit it but my computer is ----> s l o w . . .

Maybe someone gets a laugh, or if nothing else those who were curious about the end of the power line run can see what it's all about.

Carry on!
Good ride!
I'm hoping Saturdays weather will be good. I'd like to hit that area and hopefully someone might want to accompany me to the area off Robious. I doubt it will be any dryer but a co-rider will give me the guts to cross the unknown.

Thanks jgiacobbe. I'm gonna have to put some adhesive reflector tape on her. I'm assuming I can just approximate size and position based on my other bikes. I didn't see anything stating acceptable colors.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #21768
Jinksy
- Jinksy

Oddometer: 55
Slip-on exhaust

Question: If you install a slip-on exhaust will it increase the power of your bike. Also would I have to make any other modifications if I installed it?
Jinksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #21769
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
Good ride!
I'm hoping Saturdays weather will be good. I'd like to hit that area and hopefully someone might want to accompany me to the area off Robious. I doubt it will be any dryer but a co-rider will give me the guts to cross the unknown.

Thanks jgiacobbe. I'm gonna have to put some adhesive reflector tape on her. I'm assuming I can just approximate size and position based on my other bikes. I didn't see anything stating acceptable colors.
It said red on the rear and amber up front I believe.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #21770
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinksy View Post
Question: If you install a slip-on exhaust will it increase the power of your bike. Also would I have to make any other modifications if I installed it?
There is no one right answer to this. Generally, it should help. But to get more power you usually need more air, more gas, and the ability for the exhaust to freely depart. If you only open the exhaust flow, unless the intake was very rich and full of air, it won't do much.

I guess you are talking about the CRF250L? Have you uncorked the airbox? Changed the air filter? Changed any of the jetting in the carb? All are very simple mods that can help the engine a lot, with a freer flowing exhaust.

I'll bet there are a couple of CRF230L owners here who can chime in on air/carb mods. I have a CRF150F, CRF230F, and an XR650L. Have done a little work on all, but have spent more time on the intake side than the exhaust. (mainly because I hate loud bikes). But I have modded the stock exhausts a bit.

But normally, a louder, free-flowing exhaust by itself will not yield much more horsepower.

Your mileage may vary. This is just my experience.
Jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #21771
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
There is no one right answer to this. Generally, it should help. But to get more power you usually need more air, more gas, and the ability for the exhaust to freely depart. If you only open the exhaust flow, unless the intake was very rich and full of air, it won't do much.

I guess you are talking about the CRF250L? Have you uncorked the airbox? Changed the air filter? Changed any of the jetting in the carb? All are very simple mods that can help the engine a lot, with a freer flowing exhaust.

I'll bet there are a couple of CRF230L owners here who can chime in on air/carb mods. I have a CRF150F, CRF230F, and an XR650L. Have done a little work on all, but have spent more time on the intake side than the exhaust. (mainly because I hate loud bikes). But I have modded the stock exhausts a bit.

But normally, a louder, free-flowing exhaust by itself will not yield much more horsepower.

Your mileage may vary. This is just my experience.
Jeff

Isnt that bike FI? I agree, just a slip will likely get you more noise and not much else. maybe drop a couple pounds.. Personally I wouldn't go slicing/dicing the intake on an FI bike.. not without rubbing a potato on first.

ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #21772
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
Good ride!

If you want to ride Friday with us let me know.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #21773
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,021
FI on the CRF250L?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinksy View Post
You need to read this guy's page. He's changed just about everything on his CRF250L, but this is his performance page. Good stuff I'd imagine.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:26 AM   #21774
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 815
Finally back up and running! Have the new Karoo 3's on order but my tkc80s still have life left. Any rides comming up that I need to know about? Im working night shift these days so short day rides are good to go along with weekends.

Added another light bar ( I know eddy can appreciate this) from rigid industries, 6" single ro under my 55watt hid headlight on top of my two 4" amber spots from the same company (I'll post pics when the interwebs decides to comply). Also talked myself into new to me gear (used off adv rider) since my leg zippers on my pants have been torn for about 3 years and holes burned into the knee from laying it down in the dirt a few times. So now im the typical dork with klim gear who will be at starbucks Still trying to get used to it. Not the most comfortable gear if you ask me, but its all the first gen latitude pants and jacket. Vents work well and it keeps you warm and dry when there closed. But that damn neck is uncomforable and its very thick and tends to bunch up. I think ill just talk myself into liking it.
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:26 AM   #21775
jwray76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
I am sure this is something all of the dirt riders here can get behind...

http://www.change.org/petitions/snow...nowshoe-resort
jwray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:43 AM   #21776
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
If you want to ride Friday with us let me know.
I would prefer that but I've got a job I can't reschedule.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:06 AM   #21777
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
DrWhipIt: I'm going to see if I can get saturday off and join you. Anyone else noticing the surprise snow this morning? This weather has been pretty funny lately...
Old 03-21-2013, 06:26 AM   #21778
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
DrWhipIt: I'm going to see if I can get saturday off and join you. Anyone else noticing the surprise snow this morning? This weather has been pretty funny lately...
That would be great. I hope we don't get too much snow.
Funny isn't the word I'd use to describe this winter's weather.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:41 AM   #21779
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 939
Thai Flavor RTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
4040 Cox Rd, Glen Allen

That's the one! I can taste it now...

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #21780
UncleR
KLiX are for kids

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
This is off-topic but I finally uploaded the video of me going back to the power lines and crossing the road headed east (towards the fairgrounds parking lot, it looks like) but I wasn't able to get very far before it was so muddy/marshy that I didn't want to risk getting stuck out there alone. Especially after almost getting stuck proper in a creek minutes earlier.

If you don't want to sit through a 30 minute video, the good stuff is right at the beginning where I almost lose it into a metal fence, not 30 seconds in, then when I drop the bike going to fast on a crossing at 4:15, and finally when I ride into a mud-pit and stay there a while at 8:45. I'd edit it but my computer is ----> s l o w . . .

Maybe someone gets a laugh, or if nothing else those who were curious about the end of the power line run can see what it's all about.

Carry on!
Thanks for posting. I like how you didn't even re-adjust your mirror. Certainly looks marshy and wet in areas. I'll have to check this out soon and might see you guys out there Saturday.
UncleR is offline   Reply With Quote