ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #22141
SanK
Reuben-meister

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
I kind of feel like going to belle isle or something. What do you think?
Sounds like a good plan, any idea of what time?
I'll text you.
SanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #22142
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
I will, but not the riding type. Will continue disassembly of Greg's bike once my daughter and grand-kids head back to MD.

Same here.. my bikey thing will only involve garage time and that's only if the parts show.

Dang Guy, that looks like a handful! I've seen the pics of r-bike clutch swaps before, but it's still shocking to see them halved like that.

Not exactly a selling point for beemer.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #22143
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Same here.. my bikey thing will only involve garage time and that's only if the parts show.

Dang Guy, that looks like a handful! I've seen the pics of r-bike clutch swaps before, but it's still shocking to see them halved like that.

Not exactly a selling point for beemer.
It was a little intimidating at first, but once I go the gazillion tyraps cut, all the many plugs separated, and hydraulic lines disconnected, it actually came a part fairly easy. Only issue i had was that the front driveshaft splines didn't want to come apart like I was used to seeing. I moved ahead, and when the rear half moved back the joint slipped right off. Will need to take a look at the rear joint at the final drive upon reassembly. That one should have had enough fore-aft movement to allow the front one to slip back about 1/2" or so. Didn't see that, so will need to find out why. That's a ways off. Need to get the tranny out and see what the clutch looks like.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #22144
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Sounds like a hell of a lot of work to me! I'll stick to my simple little 'zuki, thanks!

What are you working on Dan? Those fork seals I'm guessing?

BTW, SanK and I are going to head to Belle Isle and maybe the pumphouse park or something. Fire me off a text message if anyone else wants to meet up there. Gonna be a hell of a nice day!

eight oh four - too two one - 1746
(confuses the data mining algorithms that scour the net looking for personal info to spam)
Old 04-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #22145
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
It was a little intimidating at first, but once I go the gazillion tyraps cut, all the many plugs separated, and hydraulic lines disconnected, it actually came a part fairly easy. Only issue i had was that the front driveshaft splines didn't want to come apart like I was used to seeing. I moved ahead, and when the rear half moved back the joint slipped right off. Will need to take a look at the rear joint at the final drive upon reassembly. That one should have had enough fore-aft movement to allow the front one to slip back about 1/2" or so. Didn't see that, so will need to find out why. That's a ways off. Need to get the tranny out and see what the clutch looks like.

Probably a silly question, but I've always wondered how mechanics are able to "reassemble" after something as in-depth as that. Do you take photos along the way if not entirely sure you'll remember as you go through the process?
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #22146
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,924
Quote:
Need to get the tranny out and see what the clutch looks like.
Guy, I knew you were a kind gentleman, but now you are letting people spend the night in your garage?

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #22147
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Guy, I knew you were a kind gentleman, but now you are letting people spend the night in your garage?

H*ll, I've known Guy for a while............ I didn't know he swung that way
Old 04-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #22148
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
Probably a silly question, but I've always wondered how mechanics are able to "reassemble" after something as in-depth as that. Do you take photos along the way if not entirely sure you'll remember as you go through the process?
Reassemble?? Surely you jest. That wasn't part of the deal.

But yes, I do take pix, but not in the detail to show every bolt, nut and screw. Figure if I can get the big "chunks" back in place, I can sort out the hardware to reconnect things as we go.

Manuals help, but they usually don't go into that much detail either. Even the official BMW shop manual has some errors, and omissions.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #22149
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Quote:

Manuals help, but they usually don't go into that much detail either. Even the official BMW shop manual has some errors, and omissions.

Make corrective notes , you never know when another fried clutch might pull into your garage
Old 04-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #22150
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy young View Post
reassemble?? Surely you jest. That wasn't part of the deal.

but yes, i do take pix, but not in the detail to show every bolt, nut and screw. Figure if i can get the big "chunks" back in place, i can sort out the hardware to reconnect things as we go.

Manuals help, but they usually don't go into that much detail either. Even the official bmw shop manual has some errors, and omissions.

lol!
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #22151
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Sounds like a hell of a lot of work to me! I'll stick to my simple little 'zuki, thanks!

What are you working on Dan? Those fork seals I'm guessing?..
yeah hopefully if they show up.

for simplicity.. In fact I'd just as soon replace my clutch discs as fork seals, which are a pain in the ass to me.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #22152
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Reassemble?? Surely you jest. That wasn't part of the deal.

But yes, I do take pix, but not in the detail to show every bolt, nut and screw. Figure if I can get the big "chunks" back in place, I can sort out the hardware to reconnect things as we go.

What he said. The other thing I do is try and keep the hardware halfway sorted. IE put all the fairing fasteners together but separate from the airbox hardware which is seperate from the bolts that come off the engine cases etc. Do pay attention when disconnecting lines and cables. Most cables are idiot proof and won't actually plug back wrong but some will. If they are not idiot proof, use colored tape on both sides to indicate which go to which. Same for hydraulic lines. Usually they pretty much point to where they go but if there are two side by side, use the tape to indicate what goes to what.

Even though I've disassembled quite a few things I'm always happily surprised that there are no left over parts. That is usually an indication you may have things back together correctly. If you have leftover parts or missing parts, that is bad juju and you better start figuring out where you messed up. Most of it is about taking time, keeping halfway organized and paying attention to how all the big pieces fit. The hardware does tend to sort itself out. If a bolt or screw seems too long or too short, it probably goes into a different hole. When you get into some parts though you really need to pay attention to how all the title pieces fit. If a bolt has several little washers or spacers etc, then write it down or take a picture. Also once inside the top end of the engine or intake, things get a little fiddly and you'll want good documentation.

My most common mistake is forgetting to plug the instrument cluster back in on the strom. This results in an extra 20 minutes of cussing while I try and get my hand up under the dash to finagle the plug and rubber cover into place.

I'll admit though, that splitting a GS in half to get to the clutch looks to be a royal pain. On the plus side, this may just be Guy getting back the money he spent on his chompers.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #22153
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post

LOL!

Kevin (H14) and I have been talking about just that once I got this thing under roof. Unfortunately, "stuff" just got in the way and a "garage warming" party never happened. Never too late, I suppose....... eh Kevin??

Old 04-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #22154
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
Always try and put hardware back where it came from once an item has been removed. Also, if you've been working on these things for as long as I have, you kinda develop a "sixth sense" of how things go. I think Jeff, and anyone else who does this on a regular basis, can relate to that.

Besides, they're all really the same. Engine, transmission, frame, suspension, etc. The trick is determining how each manufacturer goes about doing, what amounts to, the same thing. Admittedly, some are a little more challenging than others, but that's the fun part.

Taking a break from trying to free up the transmission. Guide pins have corrosion (common) that is keeping things all snugged up. Stuff like this also presents a challenge, but you just move forward.

I hope................

Old 04-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #22155
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
I kind of feel like going to belle isle or something. What do you think?
Can you ride on Belle Isle?

I'd like to get out today. I was planning on going to meet Jeff at some point. I'm trying to figure it out though because I was going to pick up that tire too, but I think Jeremy is working until 6. Trying to piece my day together right now.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote