ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #22216
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I will take that as permission to post the video. Thank God. I was going to have a hard time holding back if you asked not to share it. The first clip is only 37 seconds long. Meaning you lasted less than 35 seconds at the training grounds. Optimizing the video now to stabilize, zoom and slow it down. It looks like you were riding an egg beater. I will get the crash video up soon. Later tonight I hope to get a video of the trail riding up.
Post away. I'm sure it's ugly.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #22217
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 966
">
Old 04-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #22218
rctr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
What caused the endo? I'm glad that you are ok?

Jimmy
Rctr
Old 04-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #22219
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctr View Post
What caused the endo? I'm glad that you are ok?

Jimmy
Rctr
YUK! Best I can say is my rear tire stayed in a rut as my front went to the right and I went down. There was a bank of soft (thankfully) dirt on the right that the front dug into and flipped the bike. If it hadn't been for the soft bank, it may have just slid, but I may have gotten hurt worse. My shoulder is sore and going to be worse tomorrow. I'm surprised nothing worse happened to my bike. Tough lil' sumbich.

Thanks for caching that Dirtmonkey. How was the rest of the day? As I was loading up my bike, I saw you and Bastardbiker leaving. It was good to meet Roald also.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #22220
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 966
Roald took us on a tour of the single track trails. It was fun and challenging. I have good video of that too. Roald was trying to move a guy wire cable that was attached to the power line pole at your crash site. It's a good thing you didn't get tangled up in that. I din't think to look for you when we were leaving. I figured you were gone and i though it was later than it was. My wife asked why I was home so early. I need to get another watch on my crossbar pad. I could have kept riding!
Old 04-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #22221
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Holy shite! That was exciting to watch. But, having been in similar situations, not fun when it's happening to you.

Glad you're okay and can live to ride (and talk) another day.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #22222
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Wow, gnarly looking wreck. Glad you're ok. I wish I could have gotten out with you guys today.

I'm also looking forward to seeing the single track video. I couldn't find it when I was there last time.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #22223
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Endo

Wow. Dr Whip It that looks painful. Hope you and the bike are OK. LOL. Those ruts at the TG can jump up and bite you real quick. I've ridden out there for many years and can vouch for that. Ask me how I know. The first time I rode out there was with a bunch of mechanics from Cliff's Honda/ Yamaha. We trailered/trucked our bikes out there and they were all gearing up with chest protectors, elbow and fore arm pads, knee pads, MX riding boots, gloves and pants...I wondered why so much gear?? I looked at them and put on my yellow leather work gloves and leather work boots. I wore military camo pants and a sweat shirt and said "what the hell". I went out the next week and purchased proper off road protective gear. Be well and get well soon Charles.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #22224
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,927
Wow. Missed it by THAT much!

Looks like I made the right decision. We (two couples) had a fantastic five and dime ride, with lunch at the Surry Carriage House. Saw more motorcycles on the road than cars. Over 20 bikes on the ferry alone.

Greg, we were headed out on 10 at the BP by the Ben Harrison Bridge, when you were coming into the traffic light there. I waved, and I think Freak saw us. He waved at least. What timing! The old BMW looks great. We need to do a fraternal twins ride some day, just to turn some heads.

Anyway, Charles I hope you are okay. Tomorrow is really going to suck. I'd get in a hot bath/soak now, and start on the ibuprofen. Wow. I've never seen anything like that on a trail that wide before. I thought maybe you had hit a support wire for the telephone pole and it snagged your front.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #22225
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
Had a great ride today with my brother and Freak. The camaraderie was outstanding. It was my little bros first "group" ride. Freak riding sweep set him straight on the finer points of lane discipline and leaning in the turns. Stuff he probably wouldn't have listened to me on. He now knows how the pet cock switches to reserve as well.

that was fun!! your bro is doing good with so few miles under his belt he'll never forget about that fuel switch
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #22226
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,761
Quote:
ouch!! glad you are just sore!!

Hey Dirt, and we were talking about being up on the pegs today. fine example here for why
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #22227
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
Wow. Dr Whip It that looks painful. Hope you and the bike are OK. LOL. Those ruts at the TG can jump up and bite you real quick. I've ridden out there for many years and can vouch for that. Ask me how I know. The first time I rode out there was with a bunch of mechanics from Cliff's Honda/ Yamaha. We trailered/trucked our bikes out there and they were all gearing up with chest protectors, elbow and fore arm pads, knee pads, MX riding boots, gloves and pants...I wondered why so much gear?? I looked at them and put on my yellow leather work gloves and leather work boots. I wore military camo pants and a sweat shirt and said "what the hell". I went out the next week and purchased proper off road protective gear. Be well and get well soon Charles.

I'm glad you didn't have those on when you were groping around in my mouth. I would have "fired" you on the spot.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #22228
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks everyone.

Once again, proper gear averted severe injury. My wife viewed the video and has not demanded I sell my bikes. (Whew!!!)
I think the replays of Kevin Wares' injury helped temper things!!!
So far there's no deep purple bruise welling up from only x-rayable depths. I'm still looking for Ibuprofen for my soul. Too bad I quit smoking mother natures version about ten years ago!

Guy; I remember you telling me about your experience with "shoulder pain" on the continental divide. I can see how riding rough roads would be torture.

One thing I keep forgetting to say: I had done that same stretch the same way at least 20 times before. As a matter of fact, that's what I look forward to as I'm riding there. It just up and bit me this time. And yes RT, standing on the pegs would have prevented that and I could have had a whole day of riding instead of 35 seconds!
Old 04-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #22229
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
My bike didn't fare as well as I. Another front rim. I gotta calm down. I endo'd and my poor bike went airborne. I got lucky...Damn lucky!
Woah! Did you crush the on you got from me too? You are an animal! Hope you feel better soon.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #22230
Roald
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Glad you're okay. That could have been much worse. Brave move showing the footage to the wife. Hope to see you out there again soon.
Roald is offline   Reply With Quote