ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #22231
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
...instead of 35 seconds!
Sure wasn't expecting the wipeout there of all places.. Looked like you hit a fence post from the way you blew up.

Glad you're mostly ok. (and you didn't pull that stunt on the G$, I don't think it would have fared as well.)
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #22232
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
That was gnarly as hell. Make sure you look over your forks really closely too. I know we checked them out while we were out there but that was a very hard impact. Your rear wheel was up in the air so fast it's unbelievable. Glad you were able to get right up though. Man. Look for a used wheel online somewhere, hopefully it won't set you back too much. Don't let it keep you off the trails too long!
Old 04-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #22233
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,016
I can't believe you let the wife see that. I am not even showing it to my wife. It almost looks like you may have been riding a wheelie right before you "blew up", as Dan put it. Dan seems to have a way with typed word$. I was amazed at seeing your bike flipping through the air without warning, but because you got up and picked up the bike so quickly I was as calm as if I had seen a tip over. My shoulder is in pain tonight too. My body is getting too old and ragged to fight the 650 in the tight stuff.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #22234
MX_Andrew83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Crash looked rough! Glad to see you are ok and typing.

Went for a ride from my house(Mineral) to Charlottesville, road a bunch of back roads, and some gravel. All in all it was good to get out, hoping to get some group rides in soon.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #22235
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Blooch and ddlewis, if it had been the GS, it would have been totaled. I shudder to even imagine what that would have been like. It almost was like hitting a fencepost. I think it would have just slid had it not been for that dirt pile.

Bastard, I looked over the forks extensively as I waited for the wife to pick me up. Smooth moving, no catching, I've checked in on it a couple of times to see if any new leaks (oil, gas, coolant) have started. so far so good.

Dirtmonkey, I was kind of pulling a wheelie as I went up that hill, like I had done many times before, just not quite as fast. I really just kind of rolled over the front of the bike as it fell. My left shoulder took the impact, and the YZ put on the (air) show. If I ever sell this bike, I won't be listing on ADVrider!

I was hesitant to show the video to my wife but I couldn't keep something so dramatic from her. Besides, I've been checking up on this practically every half hour all day! She's been a good sport about this all despite her fears of my rambunctious activities.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #22236
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I can't believe you let the wife see that. I am not even showing it to my wife. It almost looks like you may have been riding a wheelie right before you "blew up", as Dan put it. Dan seems to have a way with typed word$. I was amazed at seeing your bike flipping through the air without warning, but because you got up and picked up the bike so quickly I was as calm as if I had seen a tip over. My shoulder is in pain tonight too. My body is getting too old and ragged to fight the 650 in the tight stuff.

Looks like he and the motorcycle were doing the finally of Swan Lake. Nice pirouette.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #22237
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Good eats map

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT View Post
ouch!! glad you are just sore!!

Hey Dirt, and we were talking about being up on the pegs today. fine example here for why
Hey Freak, Don't forget to add Cul's Courthouse Grille in Charles City to the Good Eats Map.

http://www.culscourthousegrille.com/

That was fun today!

Old 04-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #22238
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,792
Anyone running the Ukrop? I was going to head up Friday evening to pick up my packet, crash somewhere (any suggestions: cheap and nearby?), and run it the next day.

Figure if anyone wants to, we can get together afterwards for an eat/ride.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:33 AM   #22239
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

I have never seen a gnarly crash like that first hand. I have seen many ugly crashes on video. In none of them did a guy get up on his feet and pick up his bike so fast. Nice work Charles.

Here is the FULL video from Sunday's TG riding. (Edited of course)
">

Dirtmonkey8 screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 06:03 AM
Dirtmonkey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:50 AM   #22240
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
In none of them did a gay get up on his feet and pick up his bike so fast.
Don't you hate auto correct?
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:30 AM   #22241
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Just to be clear...my wife is FEMALE!

[QUOTE=Dr WhipIt;21134659]
Quote:
I have never seen a gnarly crash like that first hand. I have seen many ugly crashes on video. In none of them did a gay get up on his feet and pick up his bike so fast. Nice work Charles.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:03 AM   #22242
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post

Don't you hate auto correct?
That was fat fingering of the keyboard...
Old 04-08-2013, 06:12 AM   #22243
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
Hey Freak, Don't forget to add Cul's Courthouse Grille in Charles City to the Good Eats Map.

http://www.culscourthousegrille.com/

That was fun today!

done.

and for others to know, I grew up on dirt bikes and learned the hard way about being up on the pegs.

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #22244
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
I have never seen a gnarly crash like that first hand. I have seen many ugly crashes on video. In none of them did a guy get up on his feet and pick up his bike so fast. Nice work Charles.

">
Good video.

A. I can't believe I spent 3 hours riding over there, and didn't see half the trails you guys rode. I don't even know if I found any of the single track.

B. I am still trying to figure out if some of the places you guys rode are even trails or if you were just blazing through the woods.

C. Holy cow the TG is SO muddy in some places.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #22245
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Hahaha, you guys crack me up. Thanks for posting the long video, DM. I'm glad that the camera was still on for that cool little run in the creek.

My bike has never been muddier than it is right now.

BR: We had a really great tour guide and great rider leading the way. Steve AKA Roald took us around and showed us each individual feature of the area, for the most part. Not in the video were some of the more intense log hops and rock gardens section. The variety in terrain is pretty great. And that one hill climb with the log across it is much more intimidating in person...

bastardbiker screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 06:30 AM
bastardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote