ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #22741
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
Thinking about going orange.....

Got the deal done! I am now the proud owner of this old orange beast. Anyone up for a Saturday morning ride at the TG......
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #22742
Hack
Meet George Jetson

Oddometer: 3,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinksy View Post
2013 Honda CRF 250l dual sport. New sprockets changing the gearing from 14/40 (stock) to 13/42. FMF Powercore 4 muffler on it. New handlebars and handlebar grips. Yoshimura fender eliminating kit with LED light. Little over 1,000 miles on it. Fuel injected, chain driven, and electric start. No major damage just minor scratches. Clean, rides better then stock because of the modifications. Only looking to sell this bike so I can get a touring bike. Please email me if you are interested. Will include a helmet, gloves, honda book bag, a rear luggage rack, all the original parts, and a motorcycle cover if purchased. Asking $4500 but am willing to negotiate.
I know the question came up before and maybe I missed the answer but for what type of touring bike are you looking? ADV, cruiser, sport, Goldwing? Suzuki Dl1000 V-Strom trade perhaps Just wondering.

Guy if noone else speaks up would you be up for some BBQ here in Petersburg for the RTE? I'm going around noon. http://saucyswalkupbbq.blogspot.com/

I'm gonna check out the tractor museum as well. http://www.keystonetractorworks.com/
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #22743
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
Guy if noone else speaks up would you be up for some BBQ here in Petersburg for the RTE? I'm going around noon. http://saucyswalkupbbq.blogspot.com/
Criminy, I could walk there from here. I might actually go to an RTE!

Quote:
I'm gonna check out the tractor museum as well.
http://www.keystonetractorworks.com/
Well worth the cost of the ticket. I could spend hours in there. Make sure you check out the garage bays in the back where they do all the work. Last time I was there they actually had an REO Speedwagon truck in there.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #22744
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,890
Got something for my wife for mother's day

Drove all the way to Raleigh yesterday to pick it up. It is green, has knobby tires, and has a 675cc Kawasaki air cooled twin engine.

Anyone coming to RTE tomorrow in Petersburg can see it out behind my shop.....

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #22745
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Drove all the way to Raleigh yesterday to pick it up. It is green, has knobby tires, and has a 675cc Kawasaki air cooled twin engine.

jeff

Bet it doesn't have two wheels
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #22746
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,267
Quote:
I know the question came up before and maybe I missed the answer but for what type of touring bike are you looking? ADV, cruiser, sport, Goldwing? Suzuki Dl1000 V-Strom trade perhaps Just wondering.

I'm gonna check out the tractor museum as well. http://www.keystonetractorworks.com/
Sounds good to me. See you tomorrow.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #22747
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post

jeff
how many knobby tires?

I could do lunch in pburg..
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #22748
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 827
Saturday Ride

My wife and son are going to NOVA for a cousin's first communion and since I am allergic to the traffic up there I AIN'T GOIN'! Therefore this is a great opportunity for me to ride in some nice spring weather. Now my wife, thank god she's not a lurker, thinks I am going to be getting a great deal of work done in and around the house so I am not sure i can pull an all day ride, but I will lay that idea on her tonight anyway and see how frustrated she gets. Hey. This weather will not be here long... My Tiger has not been out of state yet and I would love to introduce her to WV, if possible. Anyone have a ride planned for Saturday or want to rack up some miles with me for as long as I can?
Old 05-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #22749
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Bet it doesn't have two wheels
I'm thinking quad, or a John Deere riding mower/garden tractor.

Some the the Deere's used Kawasaki engines.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #22750
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Hey Bastard, I'd like to get a video like this with my bike and your DRZ at some point when we ride if you don't mind. I'm trying to get some good comparos for people who are cross shopping bikes. I know I was looking for videos like this when I was shopping around, and they are hard to come by.

Sounds like fun

By the way, that rack is really nice! How much did it set you back?
Old 05-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #22751
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
My wife and son are going to NOVA for a cousin's first communion and since I am allergic to the traffic up there I AIN'T GOIN'! Therefore this is a great opportunity for me to ride in some nice spring weather. Now my wife, thank god she's not a lurker, thinks I am going to be getting a great deal of work done in and around the house so I am not sure i can pull an all day ride, but I will lay that idea on her tonight anyway and see how frustrated she gets. Hey. This weather will not be here long... My Tiger has not been out of state yet and I would love to introduce her to WV, if possible. Anyone have a ride planned for Saturday or want to rack up some miles with me for as long as I can?

I bought land in Rich Creek VA early last year and am going back there to camp out and do some brush removal, raking, etc. as well as riding some forest roads. The area is lovely but my land is a pretty steep hill. You have to climb a big hill to get to where it's level enough to camp at the top (and I have to clear out more brush and leaves for space for another), but it's free. SanK is coming with and you're more than welcome to join in if you like. Rich creek is right on the WV border on rte 460. Dunno how many people I can really invite due to how rough the land is right now but pm me if interested.

Here's a video for anyone interested taken from the spot where I camp to give you an idea of what you're getting into. There is also a campground a few blocks away right on the river if you'd prefer that.

We are leaving Saturday evening and will probably arrive shortly after dark (4 hours out there on the highway). The plan is to leave back for Richmond monday morning or afternoon.

PM me if you're interested. Should be fun. If you look at google maps, there is lots of National forest to explore just a few minutes away. Also, groceries, banking, gas, etc are all within walking distance from my property as it's actually in town.

Don't know if you have that kind of time or if that even works out for your schedule at all but let me know either way I'm going to try and get out of work on saturday early so we can get there while there is still some light out.

bastardbiker screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 01:55 PM
bastardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #22752
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post

We are leaving Saturday evening and will probably arrive shortly after dark (4 hours out there on the highway). The plan is to leave back for Richmond monday morning or afternoon.

PM me if you're interested. Should be fun. If you look at google maps, there is lots of National forest to explore just a few minutes away. Also, groceries, banking, gas, etc are all within walking distance from my property as it's actually in town.

Don't know if you have that kind of time or if that even works out for your schedule at all but let me know either way I'm going to try and get out of work on saturday early so we can get there while there is still some light out.
That's cool. I was able to find your lot on Google maps by looking at your video. I have never been anywhere near that neck of the woods. Timing is not good enough this time, but I would like to try and explore that area one day. Here is some inspiration for your man cave. http://www.barnorama.com/house-built...in-swiss-alps/
Old 05-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #22753
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
That's cool. I was able to find your lot on Google maps by looking at your video. I have never been anywhere near that neck of the woods. Timing is not good enough this time, but I would like to try and explore that area one day. Here is some inspiration for your man cave. http://www.barnorama.com/house-built...in-swiss-alps/

Didn't think it'd work out, but yeah keep the idea in your head as I plan to go back at least a few more times this summer. I need to check soil depth and how hard the rock is, see if I can pick and chisel my way into my little mountainside without big equipment. Maybe later make some terraces or something with some of stone I cut out, try my hand at stone masonry.
I also need to spend some time looking around the area for good roads and interesting sights so I can get a feel for the area myself! I only actually went out there that one time in the video. The section of 460 leading into rich creek becomes extremely beautiful and twisty with cliffs and the river right next to the road. It's like entering paradise. Here's a picture from last year:

http://i.imgur.com/azJ3R.jpg

One place we're definitely going to check out is Cascade Falls, 69' with 200' cliffs surrounding it... Just 10 minutes off route 460 on the way! The appalachian trail is also nearby... http://www.gilescounty.org/cascades.html Will take some pictures and let you all know how the trip turns out.

Also, great link. I'm really into architecture and have a couple of books on building a house and homesteading and stuff. I'd actually seen the one concave house before but not so many images! Brilliant design. I really appreciate how little it interrupts the landscape. I have a few ideas I've been kicking around...
Old 05-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #22754
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
Quote:
sounds like fun

by the way, that rack is really nice! How much did it set you back?
$140
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #22755
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,935
Quote:
Didn't think it'd work out, but yeah keep the idea in your head as I plan to go back at least a few more times this summer. I need to check soil depth and how hard the rock is, see if I can pick and chisel my way into my little mountainside without big equipment. Maybe later make some terraces or something with some of stone I cut out, try my hand at stone masonry.
I also need to spend some time looking around the area for good roads and interesting sights so I can get a feel for the area myself! I only actually went out there that one time in the video. The section of 460 leading into rich creek becomes extremely beautiful and twisty with cliffs and the river right next to the road. It's like entering paradise. Here's a picture from last year:

http://i.imgur.com/azJ3R.jpg

One place we're definitely going to check out is Cascade Falls, 69' with 200' cliffs surrounding it... Just 10 minutes off route 460 on the way! The appalachian trail is also nearby... http://www.gilescounty.org/cascades.html Will take some pictures and let you all know how the trip turns out.

Also, great link. I'm really into architecture and have a couple of books on building a house and homesteading and stuff. I'd actually seen the one concave house before but not so many images! Brilliant design. I really appreciate how little it interrupts the landscape. I have a few ideas I've been kicking around...
Stop making me miss Blacksburg. The cascades are pretty cool. I'd almost be willing to bet there is still ice on the falls. Too bad I wasn't into bikes when I lived out there. How much further is your land?
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote