ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #22846
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
So it was you guys! We saw the three of you heading home yesterday as we were heading out to the Farm. You were on the other side of Afton Mtn and heading east about 5:30 or so. Those orange crash bars really stand out.

jeff
Yep that was us. We did comment that we were close to your farm as we were on top of Reddish Knob. I was amazed that the little 250 can hold it's speed going up Afton in 5th. It appears my range with the throttle pinned is about 110 to 120 miles and mileage was in the 40s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Due to ADV rider and the good people at the BMW PC (especially Bill Conger and Ricardo Rodriguez) I am sitting in the lobby of the BMW PC waiting for my three day dual sport class to start in a short while!!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=884762
"So one time at Dual Sport Class......"
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #22847
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Wow, great pics on the last page. I hope I can make it out to one of these mountain rides with you guys soon.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #22848
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downer View Post
Does anybody have any recommendations or feelings on who to stay away from as far as Roadside Assistance programs? I have my bike insured with USAA and they do not offer Roadside Assistance. I would prefer not to change insurers. I just got quotes from 4 other companies and I am substantially cheaper with USAA. If I leave I won't be able to get back on them.

I am more interested in the quality and speed of the service than I am with the price.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

Roadside assistance comes free with AMA Membership auto renewal. It includes all vehicles in your household- motorcycles, motorhomes, cars trucks and trailers.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...sideassistance

I found this out after the fact of my clutch burning up out of town 2 months ago. Know it now. Hope I won't need it but it's there just in case.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:58 AM   #22849
Hack

Oddometer: 3,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
"So one time at Dual Sport Class......"
That is wrong in soo many ways.

Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #22850
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Heavy duty MSR...why? I'm thinking maybe a lack of powder or graphite.....
I've read a few things here on ADV about the heavy duty tubes heating up and melting while running down the highway, but there are also plenty of people that say they've had no problems.

If you were running lower pressures, you probably just spun the tire.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #22851
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
I've read a few things here on ADV about the heavy duty tubes heating up and melting while running down the highway, but there are also plenty of people that say they've had no problems.

I've been running heavy duty tubes in my KLR that I bought back in 2004. Got them from Arrowhead Motorsports and they were one of Fred's "house brands" at the time. They've been run at highway speeds back and forth to Montana twice with the bike loaded to the gills, and many "local" runs... also with the bike loaded up. They've probably been through 6-7 tire changes from TKCs, Kenda's, and now a Shinko on the back (TKC on the front). I talc them down pretty good during changes, and, so far, no issues whatsoever.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #22852
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downer View Post
Does anybody have any recommendations or feelings on who to stay away from as far as Roadside Assistance programs? I have my bike insured with USAA and they do not offer Roadside Assistance. I would prefer not to change insurers. I just got quotes from 4 other companies and I am substantially cheaper with USAA. If I leave I won't be able to get back on them.

I am more interested in the quality and speed of the service than I am with the price.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig
When you purchase a BMW you get 3 years of road side assistance, when your in the middle of Bum F*ck Egypt and the bikes TB's are stuck wide open and you call 1-800-BMW Come Pick Me Up..............it takes forever, don't ask my wife because she will tell you JUST how long she waited on the side of the road.

I'va had AMA and scrapped them when they sent a tow truck, not a roll back to pick up my HD Ultra Classic and did $1500 damage to the bike.

I'm thinking about the Good Sams Club because of our RV and they will also cover our the truck, 4 cars and 4 bikes for one price.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #22853
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
I've been running heavy duty tubes in my KLR that I bought back in 2004. Got them from Arrowhead Motorsports and they were one of Fred's "house brands" at the time. They've been run at highway speeds back and forth to Montana twice with the bike loaded to the gills, and many "local" runs... also with the bike loaded up. They've probably been through 6-7 tire changes from TKCs, Kenda's, and now a Shinko on the back (TKC on the front). I talc them down pretty good during changes, and, so far, no issues whatsoever.

That seems to be the case. Mostly no problems, but then you find someone picking balls of melted rubber from out of the tire after the tube disentigrates.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #22854
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
I have USAA and they use Progressive for their motorcycle "subcontractor". I am fairly disappointed with the plan. They only tow 15 miles and last week when I lost my clutch on the KLR I sat for 1.5 hours on the side of 395 near Alexandria waiting for them to dispatch a tow truck. I signed up for the AMA plan through automatic renewal several months ago but when I called they told me it's not activated till September, WTF? So I am looking for a good plan as well.

VAC
2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #22855
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwn306 View Post

I'm thinking about the Good Sams Club because of our RV and they will also cover our the truck, 4 cars and 4 bikes for one price.
i use Good Sams, reasonable, and unlimited towing...very important for moto travel.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #22856
Downer
Downer

Oddometer: 210
Thanks for the inputs on Roadside Assistance

I actually have USAA for the insurance. I am not going through them to Progressive as the insurer. It was a loophole from when I insured my bike initially. If I drop the insurance and want to stay with USAA I will have to use Progressive. That is what I am trying to avoid. I have been very happy with them for 27 years but for some reason they offer the Roadside Assistance on the cars but not the bike. I think I will try the AMA route.

Thanks everybody for the info. Enjoy your week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACommuter View Post
I have USAA and they use Progressive for their motorcycle "subcontractor". I am fairly disappointed with the plan. They only tow 15 miles and last week when I lost my clutch on the KLR I sat for 1.5 hours on the side of 395 near Alexandria waiting for them to dispatch a tow truck. I signed up for the AMA plan through automatic renewal several months ago but when I called they told me it's not activated till September, WTF? So I am looking for a good plan as well.

VAC
Old 05-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #22857
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

VAC
Sue and I passed you in traffic last week on the way home, you were riding the Princess, we were on the yellow GSA.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #22858
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
Yep, seen you blow by me as I putted in the "slow" lanes. That K1200 will fly but those crappy HOV road conditions make it a little too exciting for my taste. You going to the Spring Fling? My wife will be my monkey assuming the weather is within her narrow range of acceptability.

VAC
2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #22859
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post

I have never heard of the tube melting, but I have heard of increased heat that leads to increased tread wear on the tire.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #22860
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yep, seen you blow by me as I putted in the "slow" lanes. That K1200 will fly but those crappy HOV road conditions make it a little too exciting for my taste. You going to the Spring Fling? My wife will be my monkey assuming the weather is within her narrow range of acceptability.

VAC
Those roads on the HOV lanes are in worse shape than the gravel roads in my community, friggin pot holes and Tar snakes everywhere. I would not want to attempt riding a Hack on that mess, my hats off to you. I just put a new tire on the rear of the GSA because it felt like the rear end wanted to track in a different line than the front tire.

We are going to the COG Spring Fling in Bedford, PA that weekend. Last year I got my fill of the "BMW Holier than Thou Club." Plus I have trouble saying "no" and Morton's always puts me to work doing something.........I need some me time.

Hope you and your monkey have a good time, it is a beautiful area to ride.