ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #23236
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Not a criticism of anyone but just a question. Am I the only one who always rides with gloves (excluding the last 5 feet from the driveway to the garage)? I noticed in a couple of the videos riders not wearing gloves off pavement.
I always wear them no matter the season...but then protection of our hands was the first thing they taught (and drilled into) us in Dental School. I'd feel naked without them. I even wear latex and nitrile as an option for those with latex allergies, but only in the office.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #23237
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Putting on and taking off sweaty leather gloves gets to be a chore after a while. I wore them for the first part of the ride but after a while they get to driving me crazy. I had some nice textile MX gloves I got for cheap from bikebandit but I lost them pretty quickly.
agree, leather gloves suck with hot sweaty hands.

I have a couple cheap pairs of mechanics gloves from lowes that look/feel/flow air just like mx gloves. Wear those all summer.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #23238
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
I always wear them no matter the season...but then protection of our hands was the first thing they taught (and drilled into) us in Dental School. I'd feel naked without them. I even wear latex and nitrile as an option for those with latex allergies, but only in the office.
My hands are so fooked from many years of abuse.... pre-grade school through present day. When you learn to ride a bike (cycle) at age 5 on an alley covered with steel mill slag and cinders, anything that follows becomes a nuisance rather than a catastrophe.

Not saying one shouldn't be ATGATT, but I personally, feel completely comfortable the way I ride today. IMHO - if the $hit really hits the fan, gloves may minimize the injury, but if appendages are gonna get busted up, they're gonna get busted up... regardless of what you have on your hands.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #23239
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
I feel nekkid without gloves. I usually ride with MX gloves or Leather work gloves.

Wintertime I add a pair of these Moose ATV / SNOWMOBILE MITTS to the bike.... These with the MX gloves are generally good to below freezing.

Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #23240
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
After watching that I really want to ride Shoe Creek. I was waiting to see an actual creek somewhere in the video though.
The trail follows along Shoe Creek east of the ridgeline ~ Very scenic with many secluded falls and pools. I'd love to get up there with someone who knows their way around. I've crawled it in a jeep 8-10 times since 96 and stumbled upon a few cool places. I'm sure that place is a treasure chest of ADV fun. If I recall this pic was taken about 1/2 mile s.east of the old burned out cabin down a side trail when we took a wrong turn. It eventually looped back into the main trail further east.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #23241
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,859
Every time I've come off my motorcycle, fallen off my bicycle, or tripped and fallen just while just walking around, my palms were the first thing to hit the ground.

YMMV.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #23242
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
I don't even want to know what else you do with gloves on.
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #23243
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,948
As for the complaint about it being a pain to take on and off leather gloves when your hands get sweaty, that tells me you are buying gloves that are too small. I have lots of gloves, many of which are too small. I've figured out that I wear 3xl gloves as long as the gloves are cut decent. Gloves are usually to narrow in the palm or to short in the fingers. Right now I have 2 or 3 pair that fit well and I am just as able to work with my hands. I'll also say that my WR has some sticky stuff on the grips that I don't like to touch too.

My point is that if you get gloves that fit, they are not a pain to get on and off and are comfortable and are not restrictive. Also, I have a few pair that don't fit if anyone is interested in them, mix of leather and textile.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #23244
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
I was planning on taking dan's advice and getting some mechanix gloves on sale or something. I've gotten them before and they worked well. But what kind of gloves do you have? Anything bigger than a large is too roomy for my hands.

Quote:
As for the complaint about it being a pain to take on and off leather gloves when your hands get sweaty, that tells me you are buying gloves that are too small. I have lots of gloves, many of which are too small. I've figured out that I wear 3xl gloves as long as the gloves are cut decent. Gloves are usually to narrow in the palm or to short in the fingers. Right now I have 2 or 3 pair that fit well and I am just as able to work with my hands. I'll also say that my WR has some sticky stuff on the grips that I don't like to touch too.

My point is that if you get gloves that fit, they are not a pain to get on and off and are comfortable and are not restrictive. Also, I have a few pair that don't fit if anyone is interested in them, mix of leather and textile.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #23245
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,948
Quote:
I was planning on taking dan's advice and getting some mechanix gloves on sale or something. I've gotten them before and they worked well. But what kind of gloves do you have? Anything bigger than a large is too roomy for my hands.
No gloves for gurly hands. All gloves I have are 1x to 3x. Sorry. :)
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #23246
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Laugh

Quote:
No gloves for gurly hands. All gloves I have are 1x to 3x. Sorry. :)

Wanna fight about it?
Old 05-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #23247
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,048
I ride with gloves on 99.99% of the time. I can't earn money without my hands and I have seen too much scary hand trauma over the years from slow speed bicycle accidents/motorcycle accidents.
These are the gloves I use. They are the best gloves in the world, period. They are ultra light (in weight), they are very comfortable, if they get wet they dry very fast, they are easy to remove and most importantly, sweat and water does not change their strength. You can also toss them into the wash with your nasty underwear and they come out looking brand new. Even a $300 pair of professional road racing Held brand gloves loses significant tensile strength after multiple sweat/dry cycles. Considering that a pair should last 10 years, I consider the price a steal and will buy another pair when mine wear out.

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?option=com_redshop&view=product&pid=23&cid=14&Itemid=15

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 06:26 PM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #23248
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,693
Quote:
Buy good motorcycle gloves that fit. I always wear gloves. It hurts much more without them and will take longer to heal. They Also protect from flying degree from the road and large bugs.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #23249
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Every time I've come off my motorcycle, fallen off my bicycle, or tripped and fallen just while just walking around, my palms were the first thing to hit the ground. YMMV.
This
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #23250
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Up until a few years ago all US Kevlar was made in Richmond VA @ DuPont Spruance, A very large chunk of it still is. Now we have Kevlar Mfg in Cooper River SC too. My little bro runs one of the machines that makes Kevlar.