ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #23266
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Wanna fight about it?
I wear a 2xl helmet, size 12 wide boots and size 3xl gloves all on a 5'11"ish frame. I have a deranged sense of self that postulates myself as normal. Therefore I make my assumption that people who claim gloves that are way too small for me, must be way too large for them, have gurly hands. Don't be so sensitive about it. Everyone is different. It's already been established that I have a warped point of view compared to the rest of the world. I don't expect anyone else's point of view to match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
My little person self wears medium so if he is girlie than I must be preschool princess! My small hands are easy to live with but I wouldn't mind leg extensions. Learning to ride offroad on a DR650 pig vertically challenged leads to lots dirt naps.
I wouldn't assume princess, but based on your handle maybe that little monkey that there was a video of riding a toy bike.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #23267
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Gloves ... Sigh

I'm kinda MOTGAATT ... Most of The Gear Almost All The Time. I'm torn between comfort and fear of hard surfaces. But gloves I do wear with regularity. My problem is it's incredibly hard to find ones that fit. Most 3x are tight on me. (What can I say ... big hands. You know what I mean. LOL).

I had found a great set a few years ago, but the manufacturer stopped making them, so when my pair finally gave it up ... well, it was a sad day. I have found a pair of mesh/summer gloves that fit perfectly. I'm thinking of buying a dozen, in case they do the same and leave me stranded.

MOTGAATT!! Join the fever! (Hey, at least I've stopped wearing my skid lid.)

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #23268
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
I'm kinda MOTGAATT ... Most of The Gear Almost All The Time. I'm torn between comfort and fear of hard surfaces. But gloves I do wear with regularity. My problem is it's incredibly hard to find ones that fit. Most 3x are tight on me. (What can I say ... big hands. You know what I mean. LOL).

I had found a great set a few years ago, but the manufacturer stopped making them, so when my pair finally gave it up ... well, it was a sad day. I have found a pair of mesh/summer gloves that fit perfectly. I'm thinking of buying a dozen, in case they do the same and leave me stranded.

MOTGAATT!! Join the fever! (Hey, at least I've stopped wearing my skid lid.)
Rick- check out the AGV Sport Mayhems...they are cut on the larger size...love mine & very well vented...I bought myself and my son a pair, they were under $35 at the BMW dealer in Salem, Va
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #23269
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
For Sale

I saw on the news this morning that the Natural Bridge hotel was for sale. Some of you high dollar BMW guys should get together and buy it. Would make a heck of a club house!
Old 05-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #23270
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

@Todd, thanks for the lead on another larger cut glove.

@higworld, for cooler weather I've been very pleased with my 3XL size Firstgear fargo gloves. I wouldn't call them a winter glove. The insulation is thin to non existent but they are decently waterproof leather gloves that have a nice cuff and the leather is flexible and none of the seams press into my hand anywhere.

I just ordered a pair of technic Chicane short cuff gloves on closeout in 3XL. Reviews said they were cut larger and are long in the fingers so I'm hoping they'll be decent.

I'm going to close this page now so I can actually do some work today.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #23271
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB13 View Post
I saw on the news this morning that the Natural Bridge hotel was for sale. Some of you high dollar BMW guys should get together and buy it. Would make a heck of a club house!
Its for sale again?? I thought they just sold it a few years back.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #23272
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
That was the lead story on Ch7 out of Roanoke, lets just hope whoever gets it keeps it going!
Old 05-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #23273
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I wear a 2xl helmet, size 12 wide boots and size 3xl gloves all on a 5'11"ish frame. I have a deranged sense of self that postulates myself as normal. Therefore I make my assumption that people who claim gloves that are way too small for me, must be way too large for them, have gurly hands. Don't be so sensitive about it. Everyone is different. It's already been established that I have a warped point of view compared to the rest of the world. I don't expect anyone else's point of view to match.

I wouldn't assume princess, but based on your handle maybe that little monkey that there was a video of riding a toy bike.
Right on man. I'm not sensitive, but if you're gonna give me a hard time you gotta know I'm gonna give you a hard time right back. In fact I'm not sure it would be possible for me to care less what strangers think of me--but the real issue is that I don't like even moderately loose-fitting gloves. You don't get good feedback, the material rubs against the skin and makes for an unnatural-feeling grip, and they are more prone to give me blisters on my thumb knuckles. It's supposed to be a second skin so that's how I wear em. Thanks for the offer though. Certainly generous of you. I'm sure someone in need will snag em up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
lucky so far. I can feel the earths gravitational pull increase when you turn the cam on me. arrgh....must...stay...vertical...
Hahaha, I was lucky enough to see one in person at BITB that one Sunday when I first met a lot of you guys, so I can replay it in my head whenever I want!
Old 05-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #23274
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
Its for sale again?? I thought they just sold it a few years back.
That deal fell through. Last time I talked with Mary Ann (Puglisi), they kinda put things on hold until the economy improved.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #23275
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 958
GoPro

Well.... I just got off the phone with GoPro, If you have one I suggest you do the same thing. Lots of good information. Lots of good advise. With the set up I have I can record 1080/30 HD video on a 32GB SD card for almost 3 hours.

The difference is amazing. True 1080 HD (Wide) on YouTube.

I can't wait to get rolling this weekend and get some good video. Its a "little bike" adventure this weekend so it should be interesting.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #23276
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Well.... I just got off the phone with GoPro, If you have one I suggest you do the same thing. Lots of good information. Lots of good advise. With the set up I have I can record 1080/30 HD video on a 32GB SD card for almost 3 hours.

The difference is amazing. True 1080 HD (Wide) on YouTube.

I can't wait to get rolling this weekend and get some good video. Its a "little bike" adventure this weekend so it should be interesting.
My only word of caution is, don't be disappointed if your video turns out choppy. Not all the SD cards can write fast enough to keep up with the camera at 1080/30 fps. I know from personal experience on what I thought was going to be a great piece of video. Right as it got to the bumpier part, more pixels on the picture changed between frames and the resulting uptick in bits that needed to be written per second was too much for the buffer in the camera to hold while waiting for the card to write and it started loosing frames. I ended up buys a SD card with a higher read/write speed. I think if your SD card has a 6 or higher you will be OK. I think the class 6 cards are a little iffy though. Of course this may not be an issue on the gen 3 gopro. They might have more buffer to deal with it. YMMV and I may of really over thought the whole thing.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #23277
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Little bike adventure.... ???

Anyone around here locally riding goat trails / Trials?

I need a good reason to put the old Honda Reflex TLR back on the road.

Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #23278
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
Little bike adventure.... ???

Anyone around here locally riding goat trails / Trials?

I need a good reason to put the old Honda Reflex TLR back on the road.

Heyyyyy. I got one of those, too.

Mine needs a rebuild, though. Blows oil at high RPM. Just waiting for the time. Mine's slightly modified. It has aluminum rims, larger carb, wide lowered and set back pegs, different headlight, and cool paint job.

I just mostly use it in my back yard, though.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #23279
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Nice! I need to sort out the pegs on mine ~ I hear that mod (lower & back ) helps the balance of the bike. Other than the huge rear sprocket and hand guards mine is stock. Just needs the tank sealed and the carb cleaned. Or I have a few spare tanks.

I need to ride it or find it a new home. The dang things multiply like rabbits and next thing you know they are taking over the entire garage.

Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #23280
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Dirtbikes for the Richmond coppers

I remembered that there was some question as to whether the RIC police have some dirt bikes. I was walking on Belle Isle at lunch today and saw 8 bicycle cops and 2 other cops on dirt bikes. Not sure what was going on, but they seemed to have been looking for someone or something so my coworkers and I decided it wasn't a place to loiter and moved on.

So now you know, if they decide to come after you in the TG, they sure can.