ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #23446
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
I have the SixSixOne pressure suit...

Nice. Great reviews too. Moisture wicking. Adjustable. Just put one on order. They are listed at $250 retail on the 661 site, but found it on sale here at Xsportsprotective.com for $184.95. But they are offering a $20 discount on any order over $100, and free shipping. Mine is coming delivered for $164.95

Thanks Mike! I love this forum.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #23447
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,276
@ Jeff

Congrats on getting power restored to the old house. Looks nice!!

Old 06-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #23448
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Dammit Jim!!

This looks like a really good time, but alas, I have another ride scheduled for that w/e.

http://followyourblissfest.helvetiawv.com/

The Tim White Band is one I really wanted to see. For those who don't know, Tim White is the host of the PBS series, Song of the Mountains that comes from the Lincoln Theatre in Marion Virginia. The rest of the w/e's line up looks great too.

Double-dammit Jim!

Old 06-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #23449
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
This looks like a really good time, but alas, I have another ride scheduled for that w/e.

The Tim White Band is one I really wanted to see. For those who don't know, Tim White is the host of the PBS series, Song of the Mountains that comes from the Lincoln Theatre in Marion Virginia. The rest of the w/e's line up looks great too.

Double-dammit Jim!

COLOR=darkslategray].[/COLOR]
Guy,
Let's keep this in mind. I think Joe and I will be close to departing by then. If so, we might could head west to Helvetia for a night, then come back and jump on the Parkway to head south.

Go figure. He is going on his first long distance ride (with a learner's permit), and we're doing WV, the entire Blue Ridge Parkway, Deal's Gap and Cherohola Skyway, just to get to the "start" of the TAT. He has no clue what those mean either. Oh well, he will soon.

I do want to try to do this with you at Helvetia though. Don't let me forget!

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #23450
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Guy,
Let's keep this in mind. I think Joe and I will be close to departing by then. If so, we might could head west to Helvetia for a night, then come back and jump on the Parkway to head south.

Go figure. He is going on his first long distance ride (with a learner's permit), and we're doing WV, the entire Blue Ridge Parkway, Deal's Gap and Cherohola Skyway, just to get to the "start" of the TAT. He has no clue what those mean either. Oh well, he will soon.

I do want to try to do this with you at Helvetia though. Don't let me forget!

jeff
PM sent.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #23451
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Double-dammit Jim!

I think I just changed my plans and will be heading to Helvetia for this event.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #23452
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,742
[QUOTE=Guy Young;21542392]This looks like a really good time, but alas, I have another ride scheduled for that w/e.

Tim does a great job down at the Lincoln. We had him and his buddies play for my Dad's wake. I thought it was a nice touch during a sad time.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #23453
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Greenflyfarmer;21543590]
Quote:

Tim does a great job down at the Lincoln. We had him and his buddies play for my Dad's wake. I thought it was a nice touch during a sad time.

I watch that show every chance I get, but have only seen him perform once or twice. It must have been a memorible occasion for your dad, and for your family. I can only imagine the emotions his performance might have brought.

I just changed my plans and cancelled the COG event I was going to attend. This was a ride I started some 17 years ago, so think I can bow out with no ill feelings. Therefore, I will be hitting the event in Helvetia and camping in the Meadow.

So looking forward to this. I love that place. Come join us.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #23454
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,631
Too funny you guys are talking about Helvetia.

Just last weekend myself and the family were up at the inlaw's cabin in Slatyfork, and we had the neighbors over for our Memorial Day cookout. One of the guys proceeded to tell us all about this little Swedish (wife's family moved here from Sweden)restaurant in a town about 30 minutes toward Elkins, called Helvetia. After much research, we found the Hutte, and found out it was Swiss, not Swedish. LOL, very common mistake.

Sounds to be a great time up there!
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #23455
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
Too funny you guys are talking about Helvetia.

Just last weekend myself and the family were up at the inlaw's cabin in Slatyfork, and we had the neighbors over for our Memorial Day cookout. One of the guys proceeded to tell us all about this little Swedish (wife's family moved here from Sweden)restaurant in a town about 30 minutes toward Elkins, called Helvetia. After much research, we found the Hutte, and found out it was Swiss, not Swedish. LOL, very common mistake.

Sounds to be a great time up there!
I wish I had a nickle for everytime I have visited, and camped in the Meadow across the road from the Hutte. If I could, I would move there in a heartbeat; I love the place. Would probably cost me a marriage, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #23456
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,631
Quote:
I wish I had a nickle for everytime I have visited, and camped in the Meadow across the road from the Hutte. If I could, I would move there in a heartbeat; I love the place. Would probably cost me a marriage, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I think it's impossible to go to that area of WV and not fall in love with it. If I could find a decent paying job there, I'd move tomorrow. The family's place is about a mile from the entrance to Snowshoe, but I love the entire area. I've only been on one proper dual sport ride up there but the gentleman that led it had us going on dirt/gravel/forest roads that he got to know by living there for years, and there wasn't one town that we rode to that I didn't love.

In fact, our trips there over the last year or so have convinced me to switch back to being an Education major so I can teach and have summers off to spend out there in WV.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #23457
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
I think it's impossible to go to that area of WV and not fall in love with it. If I could find a decent paying job there, I'd move tomorrow. The family's place is about a mile from the entrance to Snowshoe, but I love the entire area. I've only been on one proper dual sport ride up there but the gentleman that led it had us going on dirt/gravel/forest roads that he got to know by living there for years, and there wasn't one town that we rode to that I didn't love.

In fact, our trips there over the last year or so have convinced me to switch back to being an Education major so I can teach and have summers off to spend out there in WV.
I've only been to WV twice and I can relate. There is something about the land that just says "you belong here". And I'm a damn Yankee!
Old 06-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #23458
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I inherited the family's old place in Glenville, but my wife refused to move after seeing what my parents went through getting proper medical care in their later years. Closest medical facility of any consequence was in Weston, some 30 miles away. We wound up having to sell it and it broke my heart. Lots of memories at that place.

But, life goes on..........
Old 06-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #23459
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,948
Went out riding on the wee today. It got a little dirty but I must be doing something wrong. Nothing broke.
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #23460
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,742
[QUOTE=Guy Young;21543639]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post

I watch that show every chance I get, but have only seen him perform once or twice. It must have been a memorible occasion for your dad, and for your family. I can only imagine the emotions his performance might have brought.

I just changed my plans and cancelled the COG event I was going to attend. This was a ride I started some 17 years ago, so think I can bow out with no ill feelings. Therefore, I will be hitting the event in Helvetia and camping in the Meadow.

So looking forward to this. I love that place. Come join us.

Love to but I'm giving a bride away in Tennessee that Saturday and then flying to California with my family for three weeks of exploring in a car for free . http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885095

I am going to gather up a couple of noooobs and ride them out to the bay today. If I can get they're dead butts out of the bed. Kids!

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote