ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 06:16 AM   #23926
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
Michub and his drom-a-dairy bag
Good ole Chub I am gonna miss that guy
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #23927
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
New Kent trials / technical riding course is on for Saturday the 29th, if you didn't get a PM and want in let me know. For everyone else stay tuned for some good video and photos of bikes on the ground.
Andrew,
What are the plans, if any, for Saturday? What time frame are we talking about? Do I need to pack a sandwich or a slab of meat to toss on the grill? Are little ones welcome on tiny KTM's? (please be honest, I can take him to the track on Sunday.) Did I miss the directions/GPS coordinates?

***Thanks! All questions answered via PM***

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 08:15 AM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #23928
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,649
Halfplate

good thread for ideas of things to build on Sat.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498211
Old 06-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #23929
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Two words I never thought I would want to equate to motorcycle riding "Splatter Wall"

BTW Anybody know where I could find some empty wooden wire spools?
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)

HalfPlate screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 08:56 AM
Old 06-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #23930
Cervix_a_lot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
I'm always willing to lend a hand and I live in Bellevue which is pretty close. What work are you hoping to do? Anything specifically you want to learn about?

Well ideally I would/think I am going to need to tear the engine apart and put in new gskets all around but I know that might be too lofty a goal at the moment. The two major issues I see that need to be worked on are finding the souce of the oil leak (oil seal kit is on the way to me as we speak) and figuring out why the damnded thing won't shift into first gear. I have pretty much everything I would think I would need to accomplish this (impact driver, a complete ratchet set, etc). I wanna be as hands on as possible and learn as much while fucking up as little as possible haha.
Cervix_a_lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #23931
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervix_a_lot View Post
Well ideally I would/think I am going to need to tear the engine apart and put in new gskets all around but I know that might be too lofty a goal at the moment. The two major issues I see that need to be worked on are finding the souce of the oil leak (oil seal kit is on the way to me as we speak) and figuring out why the damnded thing won't shift into first gear. I have pretty much everything I would think I would need to accomplish this (impact driver, a complete ratchet set, etc). I wanna be as hands on as possible and learn as much while fucking up as little as possible haha.

You probably already figured this out but the first thing I'd do if you're looking for the source of an oil leak would be to clean everything up as much as possible and degrease the bike. As far as shifting my first thought would be to check the shift linkage and make sure that it's not messed up somehow. Are you saying you can shift from neutral to second and the rest of the way up, but not down into first? Have you done any searching for other people with the same problem on your bike?

Send me a PM if you need an extra pair of hands.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #23932
Cervix_a_lot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
You probably already figured this out but the first thing I'd do if you're looking for the source of an oil leak would be to clean everything up as much as possible and degrease the bike. As far as shifting my first thought would be to check the shift linkage and make sure that it's not messed up somehow. Are you saying you can shift from neutral to second and the rest of the way up, but not down into first? Have you done any searching for other people with the same problem on your bike?

Send me a PM if you need an extra pair of hands.
I have tried to clean it to the best of my ability with simple green but that still hasn't gotten it gclean enough to find the source of the leak (this bike belonged to a good ole boy and is caked in mud oil and everything else you can imagine). I am gonna try and get some stronger degreaser and see if that works any better, I wish I had a power washer though. As for shifting it will start in neutral and when shifted into first the engine just dies, I thought it was the linkage because there was a whole lot of play seeing as it was 30 years old so I opted to buy a direct shifter and am waiting on that to install and see if it makes any sort of difference. I would love and extra pair of hands and will PM as soon as I have everything cleaned/degreased and the parts on hand, I really appreciate it.
Cervix_a_lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #23933
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,914
powerwashing

maybe for rims and such...
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #23934
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,611
Quote:
I have tried to clean it to the best of my ability with simple green but that still hasn't gotten it gclean enough to find the source of the leak (this bike belonged to a good ole boy and is caked in mud oil and everything else you can imagine). I am gonna try and get some stronger degreaser and see if that works any better, I wish I had a power washer though. As for shifting it will start in neutral and when shifted into first the engine just dies, I thought it was the linkage because there was a whole lot of play seeing as it was 30 years old so I opted to buy a direct shifter and am waiting on that to install and see if it makes any sort of difference. I would love and extra pair of hands and will PM as soon as I have everything cleaned/degreased and the parts on hand, I really appreciate it.
If you plan on rebuilding then powerwashing will be fine as long as you are careful where you aim. Do not hit anything directly that could cause water intursion. Been pressure washing offroad bikes for decades without any ill effects. Just need to be mindful of where you are aiming the jet. I have one with a 40 degree tip that works great on the bikes and ATV.
hooliken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #23935
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
I have tried to clean it to the best of my ability with simple green but that still hasn't gotten it clean enough to find the source of the leak...
As for shifting it will start in neutral and when shifted into first the engine just dies...
Spray it with Gunk (engine brite aka kerosene) let it sit for a few then scrub it good with a toilet brush and hose off..

"dies when you shift to first" sounds like clutch not disengaging. If you put it in gear and pull in clutch lever, will it roll?

If it's not a clutch cable adjustment issue, probably plates stuck together. Take them out, separate, soak in oil, put 'em back. Good luck. that's a cool bike

--
If it's stuck clutch plates you can try putting it in gear, pulling the clutch lever and rocking it back and forth, sometimes they will break loose and you won't have to take it out.

ddlewis screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 11:37 AM
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #23936
Defaultgateway
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
George Washington Nat'l Park Ride 6/25/13

Vemeo link:
http://vimeo.com/69227060?utm_source...NzIzMjc0MjY%3D

Tuesday: Round trip from Richmond, 380 miles of smiles. The first half is mainly exploring a new set of two track that is accessed via two water crossings and a cow pasture, hence the fences. It turns out that all branches we explored are dead ends, one of which (where a branch takes a shot at the camera) goes way back into God's country to a trail head. Very beautiful and dead silent, you do get the impression of remoteness, a "stranger in a strange land" Leon Russel image. The last part is picked up halfway along the trail in the mornings first ride, a nicely maintained gravel road any sportbike would feel comfortable riding.

The weather was near perfect, very little clouds, a bit hot, but made in Virginia!
Defaultgateway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #23937
HalfPlate
What? Where?

The power washing debate is an old one. I found (because I dont have a power washer) a easy and effective way to clean really dirt bikes.
1) Go to a auto supply store (autozone, etc) and get a gallon of concentrated Purple Power.
2) Pour it directly into a spray bottle, like an empty windex bottle. The ones with a stream setting work the best.
3) wet the bike
4) cover the whole thing in purple power (stay away from glass and fabrics)
5) immediately wash it off (do not let it dry!!!), the stuff suds like crazy so you need to rinse really well. Make sure you get it all off before it dries. The issue you will have if the pure concentrate dries is that it will leave a think residue that is next to imposable to get off, and can etch aluminum and glass, also its slick as mess.
6) repeat until all dirt and grease are gone

It can take a ton of the concentrate but its very easy and works well, just don't let it dry!

Also make sure you buy the concentrate in the gallon jugs, the stuff in the spray bottle is already cut and doesn't work nearly as well or as fast.
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)

HalfPlate screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 11:46 AM
Old 06-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #23938
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
Yea but the real question is how do you pronounce ARAI SIDI and Pannier?

I have heard the following:
a rye, ar e i, a ray, and just plan arrrrrr
seedy, sigh digh, sidy
Panner, pan your, pan ear, saddle bags

And if you really want a head trip go hang out with some uppity BMW boys, I swear they just make up exotic ways to say crap for the heck of it. Of course I can say that because I is one.

From my experience refer to GreenFlyFarmer for all pronunciation questions.
I go with Sidi-Seedy and Panniers-Pan yays

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #23939
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Quote:

No problem man. If it cuts off as soon as you try to shift into gear, the very first thing I would check is to see if it has a clutch safety switch. If so it may be broken and not sending the signal that your clutch has been pulled in. You can bypass the switch by connecting the wires together. It could be as simple as that.

Just let me know
Old 06-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #23940
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
Cool!

Now we just need an RTE loc. Last time I suggested a place, we went there. I need something new.
So, make another suggestion.

If folks don't agree, you may be eating alone - OR - they might offer up one of their own. We're flexible.