ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #24076
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter View Post
I think I figured out why my Pathfinder stopped running..

Wsa the oil ever changed.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #24077
moymurfs

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
I think I figured out why my Pathfinder stopped running..

What year? I'm in the middle of pulling the motor and tranny out of one (motor is fine with a valve cover leak-tranny has no reverse) and transplanting a motor and tranny from my donor. These are 96/97/98/99 era.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #24078
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
Wsa the oil ever changed.
Yes...it was changed to barbeque sauce.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #24079
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs View Post
What year? I'm in the middle of pulling the motor and tranny out of one (motor is fine with a valve cover leak-tranny has no reverse) and transplanting a motor and tranny from my donor. These are 96/97/98/99 era.
Wow. We'll have to start swapping stories, advice and parts. This is a '99. It had 110k on the clock when I bought it and I can only say that in the last 50k miles the oil has been changed religiously.

I should've asked for your advice before starting to pull the motor. You surely already dealt with the front diff blocking the oil pan (and ultimately the motor's exodus). The block is still in there and I'm diving back in this weekend. I'm either dropping the front diff/axels or unbolting the tranny and sliding it back.

This is an automatic, 4x4. Your's?

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #24080
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
Yes...it was changed to barbeque sauce.
Ha! I was thinking brownie batter, but yeah.. BBQ sauce. That's perfect!

Old 07-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #24081
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs View Post
By the way.. What are you doing with the extra motor? I'm planning on rebuilding this one, but I'm open to persuasion.

Is it the 3.3 (VG33E)?

Old 07-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #24082
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,314
Quote:
Ha! I was thinking brownie batter, but yeah.. BBQ sauce. That's perfect!
I'm sure it wasn't Betty Crocker, but it would be interesting know what oil has been used up until it finally croaked.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #24083
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
I'm sure it wasn't Betty Crocker, but it would be interesting know what oil has been used up until it finally croaked.

I don't recall off hand, but I'll check the jug when I get home. I'm thinking Bullseye 100W250.

(Edit) just checked..Quaker State 5W30

teeter screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 05:32 PM
Old 07-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #24084
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,915
Posting from the middle of the Ozarks

9 days into the trip, and Day 4 of the TAT. Crossed the Mississippi yesterday and are into the Ozarks tonight. Short and sweet, Tennessee was great with lots of water crossings. Mississippi sucked big time. Nasty roads and deep loose gravel. Arkansas is tough in the Mississippi floodplain because the roads are commercial farm vehicle roads, but once away from the floodplain they are fantastic. 2240 miles into the trip. One flat. No other major issues. Joe can read roll charts like a champ and has led every mile since we started the TAT. He is really becoming a great rider.

Sorry for lack of posts, but I'm having issues with my server for hosting pics. No advice needed, I'm just posting the trip to Facebook. If you want to follow, just ask me to friend you. Jeff Munn. Richmond. You can unfriend me after the trip if you want. Will not hurt my feelings in the least. I just don't have the time in the evenings to post to multiple sites.

Cheers,
jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #24085
moymurfs

Quote:
Wow. We'll have to start swapping stories, advice and parts. This is a '99. It had 110k on the clock when I bought it and I can only say that in the last 50k miles the oil has been changed religiously.

I should've asked for your advice before starting to pull the motor. You surely already dealt with the front diff blocking the oil pan (and ultimately the motor's exodus). The block is still in there and I'm diving back in this weekend. I'm either dropping the front diff/axels or unbolting the tranny and sliding it back.

This is an automatic, 4x4. Your's?
I said I was in the "middle" of pulling them ... I have the tranny off the motor only to find my tranny cradle jack won't let me clear the underside to get it out. I have the body way up in the air on 6ton stands and it's still not high enough . Yes, both of mine are automatics, 4x4, 3.3motors. It's obvious that Nissan mated the engine/tranny assemblies from underneath before bolting on the front drive/suspension components. It would be easier if I had an overhead lift that you could hoist the body way up and drop the assembly from underneath. But once you free the motor from the tranny the motor should come up with no problem.
If you were trying to move the motor around without disconnecting the transmission you are beating your head against a wall.

moymurfs screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 09:15 PM
moymurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #24086
moymurfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
9 days into the trip, and Day 4 of the TAT. Crossed the Mississippi yesterday and are into the Ozarks tonight. Short and sweet, Tennessee was great with lots of water crossings. Mississippi sucked big time. Nasty roads and deep loose gravel. Arkansas is tough in the Mississippi floodplain because the roads are commercial farm vehicle roads, but once away from the floodplain they are fantastic. 2240 miles into the trip. One flat. No other major issues. Joe can read roll charts like a champ and has led every mile since we started the TAT. He is really becoming a great rider.

Sorry for lack of posts, but I'm having issues with my server for hosting pics. No advice needed, I'm just posting the trip to Facebook. If you want to follow, just ask me to friend you. Jeff Munn. Richmond. You can unfriend me after the trip if you want. Will not hurt my feelings in the least. I just don't have the time in the evenings to post to multiple sites.

Cheers,
jeff

Jeff, I will tell Hope to friend you..she's the facetubebook guru....
Old 07-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #24087
moymurfs

Quote:
By the way.. What are you doing with the extra motor? I'm planning on rebuilding this one, but I'm open to persuasion.

Is it the 3.3 (VG33E)?
yes, it is.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:22 AM   #24088
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,065
Just a picture from a proud Papi

Gabriel looking very stylish at the track in his KTM ensemble (he has already asked for orange KTM gloves! ) His riding skills are improving weekly, he asks me almost every day "can we go to the track this weekend?" I love it! I predict a dedicated MX bike in my future. I never thought I'd say this but my DRZ400 feels like a GS Adventure on the MX track and it's suspension can't handle hard landings with me on it's back.

This is what you get when I try to launch my DRZ too high! A low-rider DRZ!
Old 07-03-2013, 05:19 AM   #24089
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
Richmond Va chatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
This is what you get when I try to launch my DRZ too high! A low-rider DRZ!
Eddie- isn't that on the kiddie track? LOL
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #24090
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,999
That explains where Eddie has been hiding. I wonder what percentage of Eddies post comment on or talk about planning a bike purchase?

Thinking I'm going to stay put in town tomorrow and go riding on Saturday. The forecast is improving too.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote