ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #24286
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,059
Put down some beers at the Fairview Inn in Talkeetna while admiring all the hairy folks, I presume... You don't have to go far to get off the pavement in that town. They don't have any!!! One of the most amazing things I have ever done in my life was the sightseeing flight I took out of Talkeetna into the Alaska Range landing on The Ruth Glacier just below Denali (Mt. McKinley). It was so surreal it is easiest to compare it to scuba diving. Anyone who makes their way to AK should hop on a plane and fly around in the mountains and glaciers, even if it is not around Denali.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #24287
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,044
I was just looking over some maps of Alaska thinking about that trip and discovered. Those crazy Google Street View guys have now driven the Dempster and the Dalton Highways from one end to the other Crap now I am going to be stuck here for the next 8 hours drooling over these roads.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #24288
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACommuter View Post
Realize that almost every week TSA discovers 20-40 handguns that people try to smuggle through checkpoints or "forget" they have with them. Seems absurd....

VAC
It would seem to me that a disconnect between TSA regs and how the average person conducts their lives on a day-to-day basis should be expected to lead to the occasional WTH moment at security. At least for the inadvertent cases. (I should know, I had a few involving everything from a Leatherman to a bottle of SPF -- doesn't everyone carry these things in their purse pretty much always? -- until I finally started to think like a humorless British security agent when I pack. ) Don't get me wrong, I get the TSA regs... I used to pass through the WTC each morning on the way to work in 2001.

Changing topics.... so I went shopping on Cary St. for a dress to wear to a wedding and noticed that -lo- changes have been afoot there. Among them: Mellow Mushroom is now in town, near the Byrd. This is probably old news for the hipsters. But apparently I've been living under rocks the last few months (or south of the border for a bit, come to think of it). Anyhoo, I can't ride to a RTE, or anywhere else for that matter, probably for another couple months yet, so I submit it as a candidate RTE destination for the rest of you FFs -- I know you ADV foodies will give an honest review! (Unless its already been a RTE destination? In which case, point me to the review!)

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #24289
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,800
I never went but Yelp is handy...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/mellow-mushroom-richmond

What I didn't know was its a chain.........Huh....

http://mellowmushroom.com/
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #24290
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
I never went but Yelp is handy...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/mellow-mushroom-richmond

What I didn't know was its a chain.........Huh....

http://mellowmushroom.com/
Thanks Mike, had no idea it was a chain either. Nice back yard BTW.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
Old 07-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #24291
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Halfplate, just read that RR. That was awesome. Thanks. I would like to do that one day, but I no longer fly.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #24292
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
It would seem to me that a disconnect between TSA regs and how the average person conducts their lives on a day-to-day basis should be expected to lead to the occasional WTH moment at security. At least for the inadvertent cases. (I should know, I had a few involving everything from a Leatherman to a bottle of SPF -- doesn't everyone carry these things in their purse pretty much always? -- until I finally started to think like a humorless British security agent when I pack. ) Don't get me wrong, I get the TSA regs... I used to pass through the WTC each morning on the way to work in 2001.

Changing topics.... so I went shopping on Cary St. for a dress to wear to a wedding and noticed that -lo- changes have been afoot there. Among them: Mellow Mushroom is now in town, near the Byrd. This is probably old news for the hipsters. But apparently I've been living under rocks the last few months (or south of the border for a bit, come to think of it). Anyhoo, I can't ride to a RTE, or anywhere else for that matter, probably for another couple months yet, so I submit it as a candidate RTE destination for the rest of you FFs -- I know you ADV foodies will give an honest review! (Unless its already been a RTE destination? In which case, point me to the review!)
The wife, kid and I went to the Mellow Mushroom on Cary St. a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday at about 3 or something. Off the subject, but I am still trying to figure out if I skipped lunch or dinner that day. Anyway, my wife was a fan from when she spent time working in Charlottesville years ago and was excited to see them here in Richmond. Luckily we went at an odd hour because from what we hear they have a line down the street every night. I have no idea what the lunch crowd is like, but I doubt it would be bad at all and would be a good RTE. The food was excellent. I was starving so I got an order of some very tasty wings as well. They have some very, very strange pizzas on their menu, all of which I want to try. On a RTE you guys could share and sample quite a bit. I, unfortunately, am likely to never attend a RTE as I can't ride to work for work reasons. Oh, and the place looks pretty wild too. You can't really tell it was Plan 9 Records except they have a bunch of vinyl and album covers on the wall behind the bar. Good call Brenda.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #24293
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
...but I no longer fly.
why not, too dangerous, or ya have to leave that CC gun at home?
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #24294
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
I guess I'm scared. I used to fly to Chicago every month for work, flew a lot when I was in the navy. Last time I was in a plane was in 2000, flew from Puerto Rico to Norfolk. Weird huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
why not, too dangerous, or ya have to leave that CC gun at home?
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #24295
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
When I did a fly and ride to AK, I took my tool bag as a carry on. It contained the following:
2 tire irons
1 tire plug kit which has a t handle reamer and hook
varies screw drivers
extra wire
duct tape
rubber gloves
rope

a socket set
and other assorted tools

The guys at RIC searched through everything and said I was good to go. When we flew home the guys in AK just gave me a funny look and sent us on our way. I read the TSA allowed list on the internet before we left and sure enough everything I took is allowed. Doesn't make any sense, especially when the guy behind us had his nail clippers taken away. I was laughing with my wife after we took off, I told her I had enough tools to take the whole dang plane apart mid flight, but couldn't cut my nails....

BTW My wife and I both where carrying our helmets as well.

It was kind of like going to walmart at 1am and buying a shovel, duct tape, rope, and a sky mask. --- if you haven't done that try it sometime its very funny.
Kinky!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #24296
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Ate at Mellow Mushroom on Saturday. I was very pleased. Had a pizza. Half was buffalo chicken with bacon, carmalized onions, and I think a couple other ingredients. The other was a Thai pizza with cucumber, tomatoes, curry chicken, and a Thai styled sauce. Both were great.

The other great thing about them is while they don't have happy hour, their beer overall is very cheap. Great selection. Lots of good craft stuff. You can get some nice 9% beers for $3.

Edit: Anyone interested in coming on the mountain ride Friday with me?
2002 CR80R (SOLD)

burtonrider3889 screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 09:25 PM
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #24297
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 958
Wow ... Looks like I have missed some action here. Oh boy.

Anyway .... I made a loop through Wyoming and Utah today. As I crested a mountain I saw a dirt road so off I went. About half way up I almost hit a couple cows crossing the road. A little further up I ran into a group of ram horn goats. When I got to the top I almost s#%t my pants. No rail. No sign. No warning. The road just ended with a 2-3,000 foot shear cliff.

This morning I started the long journey home. Over 100 degrees in the plains but as I neared Steamboat Springs the temps started to drop so I stopped to explore the town. Love this place! Tomorrow, my plans are to explore the Rockies one more day then start crossing the LONG, HOT mid west.

In regards to the Karoo3 rear tire. Almost 3000 miles and they are almost shot. I will probably have to get a new tire before I get home. Back to the Heidenau for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skychs screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 09:53 PM
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #24298
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Swoon. Thanks for the sharing the eye candy.

Would love to see your route mapped out some time.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:54 AM   #24299
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 958
Ride

That photo was taken in the Flaming Gorge National Park on the boarder of Utah and Wyoming. I could spend a week in that park alone. You can ride anywhere you want but if you stop you have to buy a day pass for the area. $5-6 depending on the park. They are all different.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #24300
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Awesome Skychs!
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote